car clubs/sharing/insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

car clubs/sharing/insurance

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The rural community around Corwen in Denbighshire North Wales has a New Nissan Leaf called NELI

£50/annum to join the club, £1/hour and 25p/mile for your use of it.

Cheaper than owning a new one yourself sitting doing nothing for the majority of the 24 hours in each day!

Story here https://wales247.co.uk/lean-green-drivi ... -car-club/

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Apr 2021, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: car clubs

Little communities have them, but bigger players too

Now this little lot, if you happen to live in Aberdeen, have a Toyota Mirai in their fleet. Why? Cos there are 2 Hydrogen Fuelling Stations in Aberdeen.
http://www.co-wheels.org.uk/electric_vehicles
"Hydrogen Cars

In Aberdeen we are pioneering public hire of zero emission Toyota Mirai Hydrogen powered cars. These have a fuel cell instead of an engine which converts hydrogen gas into electricity to run electric motors powering the car, so the only emission is water vapour.

The Mirai, winner of the World Car Awards’ green car of the year, allows long-distance emission free motoring with a range of about 300 miles. The cars, which are all right-hand drive, will be stationed at Gallowgate Car Park and East Craibstone Street.

Aberdeen has two hydrogen refuelling stations, at Kittybrewster and Cove, to support the growing fleet of cars, buses, and commercial vehicles operating in the city as part of the innovative programme.
Reagrd Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

car clubs/sharing

The asset-free business model is alive and kicking.

1 Uber, the world’s largest taxi company, owns no vehicles.
2 Facebook, the world’s most popular media owner, creates no content.
3 Alibaba, the most valuable retailer, has no stock of goods.
4. Airbnb, the world’s largest accommodation provider, owns no hotels.

and Turo over here from over there, gives us AirBnB for peer-to-peer car sharing, and the giants of the car rental world dont like it!
It will not have spread up here yet....but it has....4 listings including someone from Consett with an 56 Reg Fiesta.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jun 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: car clubs/sharing

Post by bobins »

Turo is an interesting concept, but I wonder whether standard personal lease / contract plans will allow an 'owner' of a car to rent it out ? You'd also come up against mileage limitations on lease / PCP plans. It'd suit the owners of cars who do actually 'own' their own cars in the conventional sense though. There's also the obvious pitfall - "You scratched my car !". "No I didn't". "Yes you did". Repeat until fade :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 18:39
It will not have spread up here yet....but it has....4 listings including someone from Consett with an 56 Reg Fiesta.

Doing TURO a disservice-16 available for hire now! the newcastle crop

If you want to check out whats available and at what price in your area here's the page

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When I was running the garage I tried setting up a car hire section but the problems, bureaucracy, insurance were just too much hassle, I would think anyone wanting to hire out their own car would find the same.

I suspect that if you did manage to get it off the ground the idiot customers would be your biggest problem.

A business acquaintance found that when his very expensive almost new low mileage Transit was returned from a days hire the gearbox was knackered, on inspection it was found to have an old worn out box fitted instead of the original, they'd hired it for a day just to get a free gearbox and their id was fake.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 14:00 The rural community around Corwen in Denbighshire North Wales has a New Nissan Leaf called NELI

£50/annum to join the club, £1/hour and 25p/mile for your use of it.

Cheaper than owning a new one yourself sitting doing nothing for the majority of the 24 hours in each day!

Story here https://wales247.co.uk/lean-green-drivi ... -car-club/

REgards Neil
Wouldn't cut it for me. Cheaper owning the car.

One trip shopping a week only would cost £741 a year for that battery driven shoe box.
Compare that to £612 which includes, tax, insurance, MOT and of course fuel for the exact mileage on the same trip for the electric. The added advantage is that I have the car 24 hours a day whenever I need it and of course, the fixed insurance, tax & MOT costs remain static for the year, regardless of mileage, where the electric one would go on charging me per hour / per mile.

I rest my case! \:D/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 09:22 When I was running the garage I tried setting up a car hire section but the problems, bureaucracy, insurance were just too much hassle, I would think anyone wanting to hire out their own car would find the same.

The hiring out your own car bit looks very straightforward.
  • Just like listing your property on AirBnb or shoving up something to sell on E-Bay, within 10 minutes you can list your car on their app, and up it pops on their site to a worldwide audience. All the bookings/payments/insurance/damage waivers/collection of charges etc for the hire period are dealt with through the app. They retain 25% of the hire fee (which you set), and then pay you 75% of the hire fee.
Such ease may skate over what happens if things go wrong. and the responsibilities you take on.
  • Insurance is a nightmare at the best of times, 100 times worse if something does go wrong. No doubt as you would be using your vehicle for "hire or reward", your "normal" insurer would charge considerably more for that, if they would allow it at all. Not sure about how the "normal" and the "hire" policies would sit together, probably enough to throw your "normal" provider into a bit of a premium hiking panic.
  • You would have a duty of care to supply a roadworthy vehicle for the hire, and a current MOT is no defence if your hirer skids off the road due to a bald tyre, or faulty brakes. No doubt in such an event all insurers, no matter what reassuring cover you had previously arranged, would walk away from paying out too.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 10:40 Wouldn't cut it for me. Cheaper owning the car.
I rest my case! \:D/

You wouldn't have to pay for steering racks with the Leaf though Marc!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Aahhh - but that was using the C3! Not the X7 :-D No way on Earth I would get 56 MPG minimum out of the X7.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Wonder if Turo would charge a 'management fee' or would want a cut of the settlement if you had to make a claim under their policy ? It'd be in their interest to absolutely minimise the number of claims - be they genuine or spurious.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 13:30 Wonder if Turo would charge a 'management fee' or would want a cut of the settlement if you had to make a claim under their policy ? It'd be in their interest to absolutely minimise the number of claims - be they genuine or spurious.
I can see how if Allianz receive a large amount of claims arising out of the peer-to-peer car share arrangement, then the price will go up or they will withdraw from the sector entirely. From my reading, the host may opt not to require the standard Allianz Insurance package, but arrange their own insurance for the hire period to be included within the hire fee. Probably more unnecessary faf than the average lister would want.

I would be very surprised if the "middleman" gets their hands dirty in any claims or any liability for things going wrong. The contract will always be between the Host and the Guest (they like to use these terms). If the host provides an unroadworthy car/fails to notify his normal insurer thats their own responsibility. If the Guest prangs/nicks the car/commits a motoring offence while on hire thats their own responsibility.

Maybe there may be some kind of dispute resolution procedure as per e-bay...goods not as described, failure to have the car available on time/failure to return on time etc. Presumably buyer and seller feedback will be part of every transaction.

Nothing particulaly novel, or uncopyable about the model. Just a question of who gets biggest globally at doing it. I had never heard of TURO until yesterday. Other players may be available :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Nothing particulaly novel, or uncopyable about the model. Just a question of who gets biggest globally at doing it. I had never heard of TURO until yesterday. Other players may be available

Maybe misspelled should be a d on the end. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 18:06 I had never heard of TURO until yesterday. Other players may be available

Maybe misspelled should be a d on the end. :)

Are you ready for a bit of branding BS?

Formerly known as RelayRides since its startup in 2009, in 2015, they needed a rebranding. Turo became its new name, created by Sausalito, CA-based Lexicon Branding and new identity, designed by San Francisco, CA-based DesignStudio.
screenshot
screenshot
Maybe you should have been at the rebranding pitch Gibbo :-D But would your suggestion have been ".. a word that fits snugly into the corporate Esperanto spoken by global tech companies."

REgards Neil

Here is a little bit more thinking from the branding company
"The name Turo leverages classic automotive associations and is built to travel the world — literally and linguistically. The structure of the word, consonant–vowel–consonant–vowel, is the most fundamental structure of words in all languages. "
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here is a little bit more thinking from the branding company
"The name Turo leverages classic automotive associations and is built to travel the world — literally and linguistically. The structure of the word, consonant–vowel–consonant–vowel, is the most fundamental structure of words in all languages. "
They should be taken out and shot for bollxspeak.