Berlingo self adjusting clutch cable problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

Berlingo self adjusting clutch cable problem

Post by Raul »

Hello

I just replaced a snapped clutch cable on my berlingo and I have a question about initial adjustment. I have not deal with self adjusting cables before. When I replaced the cable the clutch did not engaged at first at all. I removed the piece on the clutch cable that I saw visibly that it needs to be removed. I do not know how to explain it properly but I also removed a piece that was just next to the removable piece. This part could be rotated on the cable a litte both ways. I seemed to me that it hold the adjustment mechanism together. I used screwdriver to broke it of the cable. I thought it needs removing also. Did I made a mistake? The only way to get the clutch operating was to push the clutch pedal down and then I used a wooden bar to push the clutch lever more to the point of engaging. I had a friend who pushed the pedal while I was uder the car. Then the cable adjusted after that so much that it finally works. But the problem is that sometimes the first gear is rough. Should I similarly as before use a wooden bar to push the lever more while the clutch pedal is pushed down. Is this the correct procedure to adjust the clutch?
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
Raul
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo self adjusting clutch cable problem

Post by Raul »

The new cable snapped also. Before that I had serious problems with selecting gears because the clutch could not adjust itself properly. So I did what I did the first time - I used a metal bar to move the clutch fork and the calble adjusted itself so much that I got the clutch slipping. I drove around a little and the clutch got normal - it did not slip anymore. But then shortly after it started to not engage properly and selecting gears was almost not possible. And then it snapped again. Does it mean that the clutch is too worn and I should replace the whole clutch? I bought a new cable- a little bit different compared to the previous cable this time but I do not want to just replace it if it keeps snapping.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The clutch must be very heavy to keep breaking cables, try lubricating the clutch shaft where it enters the bell housing, they can get very tight. If all else fails you should be able to insert something on to the outer cable the gearbox end to increase the tension.

Peter
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

Peter.N. wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 09:40 The clutch must be very heavy to keep breaking cables, try lubricating the clutch shaft where it enters the bell housing, they can get very tight. If all else fails you should be able to insert something on to the outer cable the gearbox end to increase the tension.
Turns out that the cable was not even snapped. The clutch was apparently so heavy that the plastic part at the end of the cable just went through the coned socket at the end of the clutch fork. I removed the rubber that is around the fork and sprayed lubricating oil into the bellhousing. Then I used a bar to get the fork moving. That way It eventually got lighter and I installed a new cable. The problem was the same with new cable- it did not adjust as much as needed. I could not select gears without horrible noise from the gearbox. So I once again used a bar and gave a little extra push to the clutch fork and after that it eventually started to work. Lets see how long it lasts this times.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

And the cable went again. I thought that this time it was good because I lubricated the fork and it got lighter but apparently it was not enough. From the initial look I do not even understand what happened to the cable. There is no resistance when I push the pedal but the cable itself seems to be intact. The cable also moves a little when the pedal is pushed. So overall I am disapointed in this design. It is also very dangerous when the cable goes unexpectedly in a city traffic.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982