C2 VTR sensitronic gearbox, slow between lower gear changes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulwra
My Cars: Citroen C2

C2 VTR sensitronic gearbox, slow between lower gear changes

Post by paulwra »

I have recently purchased an 03 plate C2 1.6 VTR for my wife, the automatic gearbox is very slow in lower gears to change up. It disengages then takes what seems to be forever to engage the next gear and it particularly in gears 2 and 3. She uses the flappy paddles to engage quicker, which is a small help. Any advice, assistance or explanations would be gratefully received.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C2 VTR sensitronic gearbox, slow between lower gear changes

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Take it back!

This is not an actual automatic. It has a manual gearbox and clutch, which uses hydraulic actuators to do the gear and clutch changes. It has no torque converter. These sensodrive systems are known to be hard to repair, extremely costly to fix when they go wrong and really should be avoided if possible. Sorry to be so negative on your first post, but members who have had these and the EGS boxes on other vehicles will attest to the issues when they go wrong. Best advice I can give is go fully automatic or manual.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im an ex owner of a c2 1.6 sensodrive. Im afraid you will not find much love for them. My one had the most comprehensive service history I have ever seen on a car, and one owner. When the car would not start it was a problem with the gearbox actuactors which was wrong. It cost over a grand to fix, but it was so slow and jerky changing gears I sold it at a big loss to me. 6 months later it was being advertised with a gearbox problem for scrap money having just covered 3000 miles since I had had the box fixed at citroen. My advice, get rid of it quickly, or kill it with fire. Just my opinion sorry.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
paulwra

Post by paulwra »

Thank you for your replies, looks like I've made a costly error. Luckily I haven't paid much for the car so I will advise her to use the flappy paddles for a while we look for another car and scrap this one. Thank you once again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You may as well keep using it for now until it gets really problematic - you could end up fault-free for some considerable time - but if it gets to the point where it becomes unusable, I would then scrap it as you suggested as it will cost to get a proper diagnostic and again for any repairs.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you are used to a proper auto then a sensodrive will never be anything like it.
If you have access to Lexia it’s definitely worth trying to reprogram the clutch & gear change auctuators.
Failing that getting a dealer to update the software in the gearbox & engine ECU’s (they should always be done together) may make a bit of improvement.
paulwra

Post by paulwra »

Thank you all for your replies and advice, great forum and members. All your replies have been greatly received, I will have a word with the other half but. I think we will be getting rid of the car, it’s a shame as she’s rust free and looks well, but doesn’t inspire confidence in my wife when she’s driving. Thanks again.