Key fob jot working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Key fob jot working

Post by boristhespie »

I left my 136bhp 2006 C5 hdi sitting for 3-4 weeks. Started it up occassionally but left it for two weeks at end without. Anyway key fob remote locking disnae wirk now.

I changed the battery but still not working. There was a lot or grease inside. I gave it clean. Still not working. Bit weird because was fine. Not done diddly to it.

Any ideas?
C'est pas possible!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Key fob jot working

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, batttery!

After 2 weeks with only a tickover or two it won't be enough to keep the car battery in condition. The charge will also slowly dissipate over that time and that can affect the ECUs. A lot of systems stay active on the car - for example the aerial receiver awaiting an unlocking signal - all that takes power. You'll need to take the battery off and give it a good overnight trickle charge. Then follow my procedure for reconnection exactly:

Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

That should reinitialise the ECUs, but it is important that you follow the timings to allow them to restart properly before trying to start the car or it will just do the same.

If you have changed the fob battery the part where you put the key in the ignition will also resynchronise the fob.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I changed the fob battery. Not the car battery.
C'est pas possible!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I understand that! I'm talking about both - charging the car battery and also resynchronising the fob battery as you have changed that. :-D I've edited my post to refer to car battery in the first sentence. The car battery will discharge considerably over 2 weeks is what I am saying.

If you have TPMS - that also actively reads data from each of the sensors on the wheels periodically even when the car is not in use, then there is the alarm, the volumetric sensors added to the central locking receiver awaiting a wake up signal from the remote.... So you can see how the battery can quickly become discharged. Putting the shunt into Park configuration and disabling the volumetric sensors before you lock the car will turn off some of the power consuming equipment if it is going to be left for some time. Just ensure you replace the shunt fuse back when you are ready to start using it regularly again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Ok. I will give this a go. I have driven the car however. I'll let you know how I get on.
C'est pas possible!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might be able to get a solar panel from Aldi (for £25) if you ask nicely. They had them for sale a month or so back. When I called into my local Aldi last Tuesday they were no longer on display, but when I asked about them a store assistant went out back and got one for me (which I gave to my brother). They are not high powered (just designed to provide a maintenance charge; 12V at 6W), but they should keep the battery topped up. They can connect either via a cigarette lighter socket (provided the socket remains live with the key removed) or crocodile clips that can connect to the battery.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!