Xsara Picasso suspension issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MorayDavid
My Cars: Xsara Picasso Desire
1.6 petrol

Xsara Picasso suspension issue

Post by MorayDavid »

Hello.

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol 2010 plate.

In April i noticed a clunk/twang whenever i steered moderately/ hard to the right, ie slow speed turning and parking. To my untrained ear it sounded like the driver-side suspension.
I took the car to a garage and they replaced the coil spring and checked the CV joint and suspension. All seemed fine.

About 2 weeks ago a new sound developed. The driver side suspension was really rattling over any kind of bump.
My local (trusted) mechanic checked it and replaced the shock absorber and top mount, as well as the anti roll bar link arm.

A few days later the first sound returned, when i turn right as before. I'm loath to pay out more so I'm hoping the folks here can help identify the problem.

The power steering sounds fine, the reservoir is full and i can't see any leaks anywhere.
The car isn't sagging on the right and there are no noises at speed. It does steer to the left a bit.
I can't see any lose trim/bodywork or anything else that might be fouling/ catching when i turn.
The one thing i have noticed is that the end of the coil spring and the tapered section of the lower mount are the opposite way to on the non-problematic passenger side.
Any advice much appreciated
David
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Re: Xsara Picasso suspension issue

Post by oscar »

Have you got any pictures?

does yours have the "Safety" platform below spring? it clamps round strut sits below platform so if spring snaps don't go into the tyre!
Mines come loose so has been rattling at times so off to cut through bolts and replace with 2 nuts and bolts.

Did they check track rod ends also?(Can do yourself someone turn wheel side to side while you lay down best turned to full lock one way or other should see if play!
Also how is the wear pattern on the tyres gives a good indication of any issues!

Top mounts can go but you say they changed it but was it worn? but should do both plus struts are better in pairs or new one will give old one a hard time as old one softer to takes more of the hits.

How do anti roll bar bushes look mine rattle as need changing
MorayDavid
1.6 petrol

Post by MorayDavid »

Driver side spring
Driver side spring
Passenger side spring
Passenger side spring
Thanks Oscar. That's a picture of the 2 springs if it's useful. Not sure if they have the safety platform you mention.
Tyre wear looks even to me. I'll have to check the other things later as I'm away from home currently.
David
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

They look ok!
The platform goes below them so if spring breaks as has happened on them it stays within not venturing into the tyre!
MorayDavid
1.6 petrol

Post by MorayDavid »

Thanks Oscar.
It's still clonking away at low speeds.
I hope to have a look under at the anti roll bushes on Monday but don't think I'll get a chance to jack the car up.
Can the bushes be replaced easily, ie without taking off the anti roll bar itself? I can't work out if they're the type of bush with a split in them.