Mobile Phone

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Mobile Phone

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

anyone aware of a modern Mobile that's got a decent maximum ring volume to it?

SWMBO's mobile recently had an unfortunate and fatal meeting with a Toilet (rice trick didn't work) and she's in the market for a second-hand one while currently getting by with daughter's spare....

...but seeing as it actually gets used as a telephone, ie for voice calls, :shock: the ring-tone needs to be 'hear-able' at Maximum Ring volume, rather than pathetic.

I did have a look for a Review site that would allow me to key in specific requirements, but no luck.

Looking to spend £50-ish second-hand, eBay.

NB: in a similar vein, we noted while checking out one of the major network's deals that they appear to be less than honest about the monthly cost of the Hand Set. A 'Contract' deal for the requisite Data and Text allowances was approx £19 monthly, with £4 stated to be for the Handset and the rest for the Serivice....

...but the same provider would provide identical services, without the phone, 'Sim Only' for a tenner a month. [-X

On a happier note, I just bought a top of the range Bosch S5 Battery for £80! ECP have a 50% deal, get there quick if you need one.
Puxa
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Mobile Phone

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have one of these phones. Dual SIM, IP68, and a decent volume. OK, £120, but that is new. However, because of the design of the case you need to get a connecting cable with a longer than standard connector (it comes with one, but spares are not a bad idea).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOMTOM-HT20-Pr ... omtom+ht20
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am quite a fan of the Moto G series phones, they are very good value for the features and quality when new, and because no-one has heard of them, they are even better value second hand. I would recommend a Moto G5, which recently received an Android 8.1 software update. The ringer is decently loud if you choose an appropriate ring-tone. Mine went off in a movie theatre recently, it seemed very loud :oops:
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

It is an oddity of more recent phones that the only loud tone is the one I turn off - I don't want to play a tune when ,eg, I "dial" a number.

No need to pay all that for a basic handset, plenty for £5 - 10, in fact there are still new ones to be had for £15.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

That IP68 rating is worth giving some thought to James, as 'accidents do happen'. Slightly prone to carelessness daughter is quietly amused :-D I also like the look of the Moto G4, within budget too. Thanks Guys!

A phone for a tenner Van, cor I'm not the only thrifty one here, am I ! :wink: I think SWMBO's not quite as tight as I am though. 'tis a Pet Hate of mine by the way, phones that play music instead of a Ringtone; would you believe I actually had to download a sensible 'Ring Ring' Ringtone for my Samsung when I acquired it, there was none such thing in its Menus. #-o #-o

...gives me a random idea.

A Win/Fail thread for a bit of sharing the joy when it all falls into place, or conversely a Rant about the small, hard to replace fitting that was dropped while spannering never to be seen again (and similar). I've created enough new threads, maybe someone else wants to take up the idea in keeping with Neil's (IIRC) 'Post a New Thread' idea. My day's been a 'Win' today, wa-hey!
Puxa
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bought one of these just over a year ago, does all I need. Volume is quite good and it voices the numbers as you dial them.....if you want.
https://www.ttfone.com/mobile/ttfone-meteor-tt500.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks for the trouble Gibbo, but she does play games on it, so that one's not in the running.

...she beat me at Tetris on the Playstation earlier, dammit !
Puxa
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 18:01 I bought one of these just over a year ago, does all I need. Volume is quite good and it voices the numbers as you dial them.....if you want.
https://www.ttfone.com/mobile/ttfone-meteor-tt500.html

I bought their £11.99 unit which lives in the top box on my motorbike as an emergency phone. It's rarely switched on but when I check it the battery is still always full.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

xantia_v6 wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 20:42 I am quite a fan of the Moto G series phones, they are very good value for the features and quality when new, and because no-one has heard of them, they are even better value second hand. I would recommend a Moto G5, which recently received an Android 8.1 software update. The ringer is decently loud if you choose an appropriate ring-tone. Mine went off in a movie theatre recently, it seemed very loud :oops:

Moto G Series or a secondhand iPhone SE. I recently got an iPhone SE, as I was fed up of carrying something massive around and wanted something smaller, but still a useful smartphone as I use it for GPS, music streaming and offline music, my powerlifting schedule apps and various other stuff.

Not one of the Android phone makers makes something that is both small and works, so I jumped over to Apple with a special deal via work. Much as I hate to say it, I prefer it over any of the Android phones I've had over the last 9 years!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I made the move from the Nokia days, Symbian, then over to Samsung and Motorola for several years, before sticking with Blackberry for ages and then straight to Apple, which I've been with since the 4S and I still have it here - working perfectly as a backup for my 6 Plus. I won't be upgrading again though for many years to go as I think Apple have lost their way now with no new innovation, boring same old interface, crap 'new' features nobody wants or uses (typically the animated turds and another emojis) that are totally useless.

And for this they keep asking top dollar with the new phones over £1k now - not happening. With the recent profit warning - I think people are finally realising that they have basically the same old iPhone that's a bit faster (only needed to run their own bulky OS) and a bit curvier and a better camera.

I stick with them though as they just work, don't let me down and are always reliable. With iCloud and OneDrive, I can manage my Office stuff and Apple stuff collectively so it suits me fine.

I even hear that Steve Jobs is so concerned, he is thinking of reincarnating and sacking the lot of them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Quick 'resurrection' of this post from me. SWMBO, to whom I'm now Engaged ! :bl: decided upon a Sony Experia but I've just replaced my own phone with this G4 and am very happy with it.

Thanks again folks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Puxa
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Congratulations on the engagement.
Phones are a mystery to me. I text on mine and that's as far as it goes.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Congratulations from me too.

Treat yourself to a celebratory read of this nice little story on the longevity of the peugeot 405 :-D yes and its not even a diesel!

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 17:43 A phone for a tenner Van, cor I'm not the only thrifty one here, am I ! :wink:

On the on-topic front my current phone (PAYG) does nothing apart from texts and calls alarm and a torch! I handed over precisely £10 for it at Carphonewarehouse. As I got £10 "free credit" with the phone it cost me nowt!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

wow, that's quite a bargain phone Neil !

and thanks for the 405 Article. IIRC Richard Attwood had a drive in one of the Races at the recent Goodwood Members meeting, which I watched on the Box.

I was a bit surprised btw, in the course of my Breakfast Club visit, to realise that the Goodwood Revival isn't as in-affordable as I'd assumed: bog-standard Poverty Spec tickets have been purchased for a mere £59.

No sense in over-complicating things Steve, carry on texting and thanks for the Congrats. It'll likely come as no surprise that finding Rings we like is proving troublesome
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Nothing from Carphonebewarehouse (or whatever they call themselves now) is a bargain, it either doesn't work, doesn't last - or they withdraw the service. Should've been closed down years ago by trading standards!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o