ABS fault light not clearing on Xantia Mk1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Re: ABS fault light not clearing on Xantia Mk1

Post by xantom »

Found the relay, i'm pretty sure. It was in the main engine bay fuse container. It has the appropriate pin setup and was held in with a bracket like the diagram. It clicks audibly and I can see the switch moving with the cover off. I haven't managed to check the diode yet as I'll need to do a bit of revision and research and get some wee crocodile clip connectors before I can do that. In the meantime I'm going to have a closer look at the ring on each wheel hub. I'm hoping it's just some metal contaminated muck build up or even a bit of damage. then it's just a mechanical task. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted.
Tom
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Do check the reluctor rings on the front, they crack. very cheap to replace.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

Thanks for all your help, guys. The problem is solved. The ABS was in need of a good overhaul with the Rear N/S U/S and the Front N/S showing the correct OHMS when static but not reacting to the wheel spinning. Taking advice to recheck the reuctor rings I discovered something I'd overlooked, can't think how. When I last changed the N/S drivesghaft I made sure I got a compatible one with 48 reluctor teeth. However, the one I got had a slightly smaller diameter Universal joint and thus a slightly smaller diameter reluctor ring, placing the sensor just over 0.5cm from the ring. Too far. Abit of magic with a cutting disc to remove the quite large spacer built into the sensor and some fine position adjustment with a thin washer and she's sorted. Even got my horn working today, so MOT as soon as I can get a slot. Don't know what I'd do without this forum.
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)