Corded impact guns.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Corded impact guns.

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 07 May 2019, 18:06 Somebody posted on here recently (during the last couple of weeks) they'd bought one.
It was Zel, top of Page 211 (below the Rat) of "Zel's Fleet Blog - Xantia Activa....."
Am sure someone here will post a proper link. I got one on my Christmas List.

Sorry Admins for the Edit, went for a 'Paste Special' using my usual Keyboard Shortcut (great in MS Word) and posted a half-written message
Puxa
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i bought a Hilka Maxx 24v impact wrench for help with the car jobs, it is verry useful But! if your wheel bolts/nuts are much over 30lbft which is seemingly pretty much all cars now (wife pug partner teepee is 65, the c2 60 iirc), it wont undo them unless you have cracked the pressure off first, very helpful on ball joint pinch bolts, drop links etc. was greta for stripping the old BX down, but for speedy wheel changes, its really not all that quicker than a good old Wheel spider and copper greased wheel bolts!! i looked at the corded ones as i have an outside socket by the cars, but figured generally if i am out there i am using the socket for something else (welder etc.), and i'd get frustrated when i have tangled myself up in the cable, if that is, it is long enough to reach a wheel from the socket....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilka-Max-MP ... Swu3dby1ih
this is the one i have, - i paid about half this cost as a shop return unopened, and ordered a spare battery too, i had a cheap generic 18v one i got from my buddy at the surplus tools shop as he was upgrading before, that was pretty useless!!
there is a reason why snap on versions etc. are not cheap and why pretty much all tyre shops have them alongside the air guns, they work and work Well!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Timmo wrote: 11 May 2019, 09:27...but for speedy wheel changes, its really not all that quicker than a good old Wheel spider and copper greased wheel bolts!!

I'm sorry, I really must challenge that! My experience is very much different.

As I said some dozen or so posts ago "It turns a half hour hassle changing a wheel into a 10 minute (almost) delight."
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I'm definitely glad I've got mine now. Especially given I've got a vehicle in the driveway which has five bolt wheels and has them done up to downright silly torque levels.

All depends on your setup though. I've got an extension cord which lives at the garage door, so deploying power to the driveway takes me about 30 seconds.

Spec wise I had a dig around and to match the specs of the one I wound up with from Amazon over here in cordless form would have cost me a heck of a lot more. Plus as it's not something I'm expecting to use all that frequently I'd personally rather not have to faff around making sure batteries aren't flat - which is why every cordless tools I've ever owned has ended up buried at the back of the garage never to be used. They just don't get used frequently enough.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Found out Thursday evening that my cordless one will tighten wheel bolts (& I'm sure nuts) beyond its ability to undo. Still learning how not to make the same mistake as so many "pros" - but I think I'm there.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

For tightening I let mine run on slow up until the first "click" then nipped it up with the torque wrench.

If I was using it on anything with alloy wheels I'd not want to be using it to tighten stuff up... it's Quick-Fit doing that which results in so many folks being unable to get their wheels off...

It occurs to me that this would be a really easy way to cross thread a wheel bolt without realising until it's too late too...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Also common of certain large chain store tyre shops to mangle locking wheel nut keys buy using them with the impact wrench on Maximum setting!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I now have a certain sympathy for those tyre fitters, having discovered just how easy it is to overtighten the bolts (mind you el cheapo d-i-y rattlegun doesn't have any settings) - & it's anticipating that 1st click that's the trick I've now just about mastered. It was only 'cos I'd replaced the wheel one evening, only to have to take it off again the next (without the vehicle moving in between) that I realised that the difficulty must be down to something I'd done but, of course, that's how we learn!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

So I was in the local tyre shop today and I spotted a small 50L compressor in the corner. We exchanged words (it's running but no pressure) €20 changed hands and I brought it home. I took the head off and one of the reed valves was glued on with what looked like carbon. It also looks like there was used engine oil in it. Oil is drained I'll get fresh tomorrow but I have a working 50L compressor for the princely sum of €20. That's a result for me I was buying it for the switch.
Oh buggle