C8 Automatic wipers - disable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bunny
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0I 16V SX 7 Seater Estate Manual Petrol Year:2005

C8 Automatic wipers - disable?

Post by Bunny »

The windscreen wipers on my C8 automatically come on whenever the light and damp sensor, located in the lower-middle of the screen, decides it is raining enough. Unfortunately, it seems to activate at the slightest suggestion of rain (I even turn the radio off when the long-range weather forecast is about to be broadcast - just in case it is listening in).

Consequently, the wipers often virtually "dry-wipe" the screen - making a horrible juddering noise and the rubber from one of the blades has already been half torn off because of friction with an all-but-dry screen.

Apart from plastering the outside of the windscreen, where the sensor is located, with Duct Tape - can anyone please advise me how to switch the ruddy thing off?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C8 Automatic wipers - disable?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Usually this is caused by dirt and hardened grease / grime over the sensor area.

You'll need some really good glass cleaner and lots of elbow grease to remove the build up.

Generally when you start the car the auto wiper function is off, until you sweep the wiper down and then back into the AUTO position. So I would advise against putting into AUTO when starting the car.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Has it ever worked as it should? It's possible that it's been like that since new as it has been decreed to be acceptable. I have never been happy with the related auto light setting (far to eager to switch on and slow to switch off) on our 308 however the dealer said it was not adjustable so that was that.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thanks.

I'll try what you advise in the cleaning and control arm adjustment and hope that either or both sort it for me.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 20:26 Usually this is caused by dirt and hardened grease / grime over the sensor area.

You'll need some really good glass cleaner and lots of elbow grease to remove the build up.

Generally when you start the car the auto wiper function is off, until you sweep the wiper down and then back into the AUTO position. So I would advise against putting into AUTO when starting the car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd just better clarify that I'm referring to the wiper control stalk on the steering column AUTO position and not the actual physical wiper arm of course - in case that wasn't clear. :-D

Also, use a bit of soft kitchen tissue and put some glass cleaner onto the tissue and gently wipe along underneath the length of the wiper blades. That will clean some of the accumulated grime off there too. If you're going the whole hog, then I'd recommend replacing the wiper blades - but get the wiper blades from Citroen - I've never yet found any aftermarket ones or premium blades from other suppliers like Bosch that come close to the Citroen OEM ones. They just never squeak!

Don't forget to 'park' the wiper blades first before pulling the arms away from the screen. To do this, switch the ignition off, then press the wiper stalk once and this will park the wipers in maintenance position. To 'unpark' them, switch ignition on and press the wiper stalk down.

Just to reconfirm the deactivation of Auto wiping:
Put the stalk into the 'I' intermittent position, then to '0' position. This will stop the automatic function until triggered again in the Auto position.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thanks for the additional info.

So all we need then is an Oxbridge Degree in higher mathematics, to use the windscreen wipers. :rofl2:

Progress, I guess.

Thanks, again.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 12:01 I'd just better clarify that I'm referring to the wiper control stalk on the steering column AUTO position and not the actual physical wiper arm of course - in case that wasn't clear. :-D

Also, use a bit of soft kitchen tissue and put some glass cleaner onto the tissue and gently wipe along underneath the length of the wiper blades. That will clean some of the accumulated grime off there too. If you're going the whole hog, then I'd recommend replacing the wiper blades - but get the wiper blades from Citroen - I've never yet found any aftermarket ones or premium blades from other suppliers like Bosch that come close to the Citroen OEM ones. They just never squeak!

Don't forget to 'park' the wiper blades first before pulling the arms away from the screen. To do this, switch the ignition off, then press the wiper stalk once and this will park the wipers in maintenance position. To 'unpark' them, switch ignition on and press the wiper stalk down.

Just to reconfirm the deactivation of Auto wiping:
Put the stalk into the 'I' intermittent position, then to '0' position. This will stop the automatic function until triggered again in the Auto position.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Bunny wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 19:32 The windscreen wipers on my C8 automatically come on

As above, it should not do this unless you have specifically put it in auto mode, and you have to do that every time the car is started. It's a "safety" feature.

Otherwise they should behave as manual wipers.

So the solution should be, just don't put them in auto mode.
Bunny wrote: 03 May 2019, 09:39
So all we need then is an Oxbridge Degree in higher mathematics, to use the windscreen wipers. :rofl2:

No, just RTFM.