Xsara - Clutch Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pusb
My Cars: Citroen Xsara

Xsara - Clutch Noise

Post by pusb »

Hi,

I have a 2002 Citroen Xsara, 2.0 HDI 90 with 116k miles on the clock.

It has started making a strange sound which is related to the clutch. I'm not sure if its the release bearing or something else.

The noise itself is a bit like a bird whistling, a light, high pitched metallic rubbing sound. It is related to engine speed, it is there when stationary or moving, however the second I put my foot on the clutch pedal (whether in gear or neutral) the noise stops. Its coming from the right hand side of the engine bay (UK passenger side).

The volume of it seems to vary. Sometimes its so quiet I can hardly hear it, other times its so loud I notice people looking round as I drive by. I don't think it does it over 3k revs, but that might just be because the noise of the engine drowns it out.

The clutch seems to work fine with no grinding gears or slippage.

Any ideas what it could be?
yannbeam
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 07 Picasso 1.6 95 Xantia VSX 97 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive Xantia 2.0tct Estate Talbot Sunbeam TI

Re: Xsara - Clutch Noise

Post by yannbeam »

Its probably the clutch release bearing. I'm just about to do mine as it's started howling !
Ian
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

It will 99% be the bearing, they almost always fail in this way & unfortunately you went get much more use from it.
Normally the bearing eats its way through the clutch fingers & gear selection becomes difficult.
Best to change the bearing guide & the clutch fork at the same time.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
pusb
My Cars: Citroen Xsara

Post by pusb »

Thanks guys.

Not sure what I will do then. As I know the car needs the crankshaft pulley replacing, also it is smoking a fair bit which I think is an injector