Am I wrong to be angry

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Am I wrong to be angry

Post by crapday69 »

I am so angry with my brother. I'll explain why below.

My mother is 87 and in and out of hospital with old age related problems. She has just been in and has stents fitted (if thats the right word), she also has arthritis on her knee and is house bound unless someone take het out in there car with her wheelchair.

Her dog died at the end of last year (we lost my father 5 years ago) he was 14. She had to pay a dog walker to take him out. My mother wanted another dog to keep her company, an older jack Russel type dog at about 5 or 6, one that was house trained and looking for a new home. I was against this as she's not really up to it, but at a push if she really wanted one I would have helped her look for one. Yesterday when I went to visit my mum, my brother had spent £600 on a cockapoo puppy for her. I was angry with him for doing this to my mum. She can't train a new puppy and it will need loads of stimulation that's past my mums ability. She can hardly walk never mind slipping on pee and poo and a puppy running through her legs. Its also not her type of dog but now she's feels forced to keep it, it is a beautiful wee puppy and she does love it (how can you not love a puppy) but she knows herself it will be too much work for her.

So am I being unreasonable in being mad at my brother or does anyone here think he's a complete idiot.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Am I wrong to be angry

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sorry to hear about all the problems.

I think he meant well, but the idea was a bit misjudged, without considering the amount of care needed for a puppy however small the dog may be.

Unfortunately it’s one of the things people don’t always consider when they buy an animal for a pet, after not seeing past the initial knee jerk reaction to buy one.

Mind you any pet like a cat or a dog will need looking after exercising feeding watering and general interaction. If anybody can’t supply these things then it’s probably not a good idea to have one unfortunately .
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

My mum doesn't mind paying a dog walker and she has a concealed back garden that her dog can run about and she can give it lots of love and companionship, thats why she was looking for an older dog.

TBH at her age and condition, she shouldn't have a pet for her own safety never mind the pets. My brother has 2 small dogs of his own. what will happen if my mum needs to into hospital, will he take the puppy and confuse and scare it with his 2 dogs ? Its not as if my brother is young and thoughtless, he's 65 !!! I don't want to get into a big argument with him so I haven't spoken to him (as I know I will end up shouting at him) My other brother and sister are of the same mindset as me. I cant take the dog as I have a cat and stay 80 miles away in Glasgow and my other brother is in Liverpool and sister, Cornwall. The brother that bought the puppy stays 15 minutes away from her.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yeah it’s important not to try and fall out with family. Better to bite your tongue in the situations .

I think just agreeing that your brother will have to take responsibility for his decision so there is no come back - for practical reasons of distance if nothing else Gary.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

he's never took responsibility before with her old dog. as a mater of fact, his tendons went 2 days after my dad passed away and my friend had to look after him for about 12/14 weeks and my brother from Liverpool used to come up and look after him.

what do I do if my mum trips over her puppy and hurts herself? I dread to think like that though and I know when he's house trained, she will be over the moon.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

They say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

While you may well be angry (and justifiably so) with your brother, it is not worth a major fight over it. He will have to take responsibility for his actions, as he is the closest (location wise) member of the family. If this means paying somebody to train the puppy (or training it PROPERLY himself) then that is what he will HAVE to do! It will take carefully diplomatic talk to point out his mistake, but don't beat him around the head with it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!