X2 v6 won't start, no MIL light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lukepl
My Cars: C5 estate hdi
X2 v6 estate
fairway driver 97

X2 v6 won't start, no MIL light

Post by lukepl »

Hi all, I have this riddle I can't solve.

It is still Xantia MK2 v6 2001.
I was driving my xant, drove 500m and it just died, as if sb just pulled the key out from ignition. I was on a local roundabout, so the front wheels turning left and @10mph. Totally out of the blue.
This is what happens now - I turn the key to 1st position and all the lights except for check engline light up. 2nd position and the starter cranks no problem. Changed the battery to brand new after this started, the old one was weak, no change.
All the fuses are ok (driver+engine bay), checked with a multimeter.
Lexia clone says there's no connection.

Now the trace I found:
When I was checking the big fuses I noticed that when you fiddle with the fusebox sometimes the check light comes on. But then when you turn on the starter it immediately goes off and still the engine doesn't come on.

I ran a check of voltages in the ECU plug when the light is dead, and when it is on after wiggling the fusebox. It looks like there is no change at all.
I remembered that well before I had this symptom that the engine stopped firing on all cylinders while driving. Both times local ride - about 2 miles, both times about a mile before the destination so I just limped there, both times it was raining, both times it started again fine after some time (shopping) as if nothing had happened. I thought the coil pack is retiring or its connector needs attention, but never remebered to investigate. It was about 5k and 2kkm before it's now dead.

I thought this is the time to consult you, I'm stuck.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: X2 v6 won't start, no MIL light

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't know if you have the applicable wiring diagrams.
Here are some diagrams for a RHD car, which should be very similar, but the harnesses and component locations are of course different for the components in the interior.

It would seem likely that there is a voltage missing somewhere. I have previously had a failure of the engine to run due to a failed soldered joint inside the interior fuse box (BF00), but I was able to localise that by finding that there was no power at one of the fuses.

Can you confirm which of the injection relays are operating, and is the gear lever (assuming automatic) released when the brake pedal is pressed?
lukepl
My Cars: C5 estate hdi
X2 v6 estate
fairway driver 97

Post by lukepl »

Hello xantia_v6
Thank you very much for the diagrams. Of course I didn't have any. It looks like those you posted are for mk2. Now I need some time to digest them and then I will do some measuring. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have further questions or will have found the spot.
Mine is automatic. The brake/gear lever lock stopped working some two years ago and I didn't bother to restore it as it didn't affect anything else. Maybe I should, but now first things first. I didn't check the relays 1304 and 1307 as I was single handed. All I did was swap them but no change.

Does the ecu plug have some micro numbers? I couldn't spot any. Would make it a bit easier to identify pin numbers.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Although for a different model ECU, I think that the connector pin numbering is shown at http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_s ... 0vpin.html

Good luck!