Sad week for me.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Sad week for me.

Post by qprdude »

It is with considerable sadness that I have decided to give up on Citroen. Parhaps temporarily but certainly for the time being.
I have fought and struggled with my Citroen DS5 suspension for just under two years. I have tried to get independents and Main dealers to give me a definitive answer as to whether my car suspension can be upgraded to the supposedly better system from the lates models. As far as I know, only the dampers were changed. I have met with a blank wall. "sorry, couldn't change your suspension as it might not be any better" "might not be suitable for your car" might change the driving dynamics" "might have insurance implications". The excuses are endless.
Basically, from producing some of the finest rides of any luxury car, citroen installed a torsion bar system into it's supposedly Premier brand luxury car. The dampers are useless.
How any designer could come up with this is beyond belief.
The car is a thing of beauty, a head turner, very well specced and reasonably quick. The seats are comfortable and the engine is willing if not spectacular. The auto box has a little lag at forst, but no more than most.
Luggage space is reasonable as is rear seat legroom.

The horrible suspension has now caused several rattles in the cabin. The overhead console and the inside of the passenger door rattles, make for uncomfortable journeys. Yes, I could have the rattles traced and fixed, but with our wonderful Surrey roads, the problem won't go away. I'm at my wits end with the jumping of the rear end when I hit a pothole, especially on a corner. Rear passengers say they have had better journeys on a tram!
Sorry, but I have gone German, in an effort to soften the shaking of my old bones.
I hope I can stay a member of this forum and read how everyone is getting on. I have been helped and advised by some truly exceptional people over the years, from the first C5 to the to the last one I should never have parted with. I toyed with the idea of a Piccasso but I had one as a loaner and although it was comfortable, it was sluggish and wallowed a bit. The performance, even for the 2 litre wasn't great either
I believe a new C5 is destined for the European market in 2020. Please, please, don't let the suspension designer for the DS5 anywhere within a hundred miles of it.
Thanks again everyone, for your help over the years. Who knows, if I win the lottery, I may be back with a new C5.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Sad week for me.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will always be welcome here, Rick, REGARDLESS of what make/model of vehicle you drive. Who knows, maybe we will see you in the future driving a nicely fettled C6!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's a sad, but now well-known fact that the early DS5s had horrendous suspension Rick. Added to that many previous Hydro owners moving over to a conventionally sprung car which in itself is usually a shock (no pun intended). Many times jumping into a Citroen loan car whilst mine was having work done was a shock to the system and getting back into my X7 at the end of the day or a day or two later was bliss and brought the comfort right back home.

It's a shame you couldn't of plumped for one of the newer models with the PHC (Progressive Hydraulic Cushions) - fitted on some of the SUVs now including the C5 Aircross SUV and the Cactus with a few others coming on board, but at a tad under £30k for the top of the range model, most would have to melt down a few of their gold ingots to fund it.

I sincerely hope that PHC system is indeed fitted to the new C5 in 2020 and I have no reason to suspect it won't or at least to the higher end trim models. It seems like a good balance and a compromise - no self levelling, but a good comfortable ride without the advanced electronics of the Hydractive system, pump, motor and pipework to contend with.

I know that BMWs can also have a hard ride - but best of luck with whatever you go with - but I do hope you'll be back!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I ran hydropneumatics for about 30 years, CX, BX, XM then a C5. I was dissapointed in the ride of that compared with the earlier ones so I got a Peugeot 406 Hdi estate, I'm on my third one now and I think they are the best cars Peugeot made, not quite such a good ride as the Citroens but quite acceptable and the handling and reliability are much better.

I also now have a Merc C220 Cdi, goes well, is good on fuel and build quality but its not as comfortable or smooth and quiet as the 406.

Peter
dave

Post by dave »

qprdude wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 14:28 Sorry, but I have gone German, in an effort to soften the shaking of my old bones.
At work we had C220 estate demo'd (to replace an i40 estate)

The driver had brought the car 14ml from the dealers, crap ride & a s**t gear box was the opinion offered

I walked around it...... err you do know this is a E220 ? (40k+) & you can't afford it !

A much cheaper, much prettier Jagaur XE was ordered which is too BMW harsh IMHO
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 11:12 I ran hydropneumatics for about 30 years, CX, BX, XM then a C5. I was dissapointed in the ride of that compared with the earlier ones so I got a Peugeot 406 Hdi estate, I'm on my third one now and I think they are the best cars Peugeot made, not quite such a good ride as the Citroens but quite acceptable and the handling and reliability are much better.

I also now have a Merc C220 Cdi, goes well, is good on fuel and build quality but its not as comfortable or smooth and quiet as the 406.

Peter

Yes Peter, I regret getting rid of my C5 X7, but in all honesty, it would have cost me an arm and a leg by now. At least the DS5 cost nothing at all for a year and ten months motoring. I searched for a Peugeot 508, as I'd heard great things about them, but in my budget were 1.6 or high miles 2.0. , and they werevery early models. I've settled for a soft 5 series BMW. The test run was a different word from the DS5. I have a trip up to Aberdeen planned for later this month so it'll be a good test. Are you still meandering up to Scotland anually
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We shall be doing our annual north Highland run next month so that will be the decider as to whether we ditch the Merc or not. I recently bought a nice low mileage 406 estate very cheap so we may go back to running two 406's again.

Strangely for a heavier car with a bigger engine the Merc has the better fuel consumption, with my grandfatherly way of driving its doing 63 - 64 mpg on the motorway, the 6 speed manual box helps of course, the Peugeot does around 60 mpg but I have been driving the Merc faster, up to 70 mph sometimes :shock: .

Peter
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

I have been in a similar quandry, My Xantia has sadly failed the MOT so I have been running around in a SAAB convertible turbo, which while very fast (if a bit thirsty) has a real bone shaker of a ride. Xantia searches have drawn blank so Im looking at C5s, despite not having the best experience before. I still drop in here from time to time though and always feel welcome despite not having the correct flavour of car. Does my wifes Xsara Picasso count?
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Certainly the Picasso counts :)

Strange that you mention the SAAB is a rough ride.
Youngest daughter had two, a 900 Aero and a later 900 ragtop (just as they changed to 93).
Her elder sister also had two 93 ragtops.

Although not in the Citroen league regarding suspension, I found all four quite comfortable and decent rides.
The leather seats in the newest three were exceedingly nice.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Disaster has struck! Mt DS5 sat nav has gone on the blink just as I'm about to trade for the BMW. The deal is more or less done, deposit paid and I'm awaiting a new mot and machine polish. Last week, the RT6 had a couple of moments but today, everything comes on and after about ten seconds it shuts down. Radio goes off, sat nav tries to show a map, then cuts off too. Reverse camera works but no audio warning. I had the system updated last year, to accept UK postcode search and everything worked fine until now. I have the firmware update cd provided by the Citroen main dealer but I'm hesitant to try to reload as don't want to totally brick it. Another week and I'd have been home free!
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A firmware update won’t do any harm Rick. I suspect it may have gone into a funny mode because of overheating sometimes they can reset and restart as they are not very well cooled.

Or try a BSI reset

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I though of all that Marc, but I don't want to make things worse on the eve of the part exchange. Not sure about the BSI reset on these things as the battery is hidden under and behind the fuse box. I'm not sure about starting to move the fuse box at this late stage. I know the C5 unit was prone to overheating but haven't heard of it happening on the DS5. I can't find the radio code in my paperwork, so that is making me more hesitant to do a reset. I'm just hoping I can BS the salesman into thinking a reinstall of the software is all that is required. I remember speaking to you about the upgrade last year sometime and I tried downloading the firmware myself, unsuccessfully. Eventually West Heath Citroen updated the firmware and maps for me.

Can you start to bone up on BMW's Marc, as I might be in need of some advice!
Cheers.
Rick.

KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Rick,

I was driving for a BMW dealer for 18 months and over the past 6 months there has been a massive problem with the egr coolant leaks.

This is across the range from nearly new to a least 5 to 6 year old cars.

This has not been a recall as such but service advisors have been informing their customers when in for service. Otherwise it's a breakdown call out or the vehicle must be taken straight to the dealership for repair. The dealerships are carrying out the repair and BMW UK I believe are covering the costs.

Please check with your sales advisor.

Hopefully, your car is NOT one. I thought I would give you the heads up if you were unaware.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers Kenny. My pensioner budget no longer allows for a BMW under 6 years old. I'm about to own the one with the dodgy timing chain !
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

qprdude wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 16:14 I though of all that Marc, but I don't want to make things worse on the eve of the part exchange. Not sure about the BSI reset on these things as the battery is hidden under and behind the fuse box. I'm not sure about starting to move the fuse box at this late stage. I know the C5 unit was prone to overheating but haven't heard of it happening on the DS5. I can't find the radio code in my paperwork, so that is making me more hesitant to do a reset. I'm just hoping I can BS the salesman into thinking a reinstall of the software is all that is required. I remember speaking to you about the upgrade last year sometime and I tried downloading the firmware myself, unsuccessfully. Eventually West Heath Citroen updated the firmware and maps for me.

Can you start to bone up on BMW's Marc, as I might be in need of some advice!
Cheers.
Rick - don't stress over the radio code - there is none that you input - they are VIN coded to the vehicle, so no code to be entered :-D At least some good news for you.

As for the beamers - not my favourite cars at all and just as plastic as everything else with horrendous electronic failures - but hey can't be any worse than a French beauty right? :rofl2:

Marc