Small/Cheap/Reliable/Simple - is it possible ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Small/Cheap/Reliable/Simple - is it possible ?

Post by myglaren »

My next door neighbour has one and loves it, mainly as she has a 90 mile commute and it is very cheap to run compared to the Quashquai she dumped in favour of it.
She does say that the ride is harsh in comparison though.
My eldest granddaughter has one too, only had it for about six weeks and loves it but I haven't seen her to find out all the "fores and againsts".
Pshemsky
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: XM 2.5 (1995)
Peugeot 207 (2021)
Mitsubishi Grandis (2007)
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

Post by Pshemsky »

Thank you guys for all replies.
I just find out about tax different rules about tax rate (vehicles before and after march 2001) - well, you learn something new every day :wink:
I've read all posts and now wondering - do I really want to sell Xantia just to replace it for something which I may not like as much and only to pay a bit less of tax or insurance? Of course there is many things which need to be done to it but as mentioned before I got donor car so plenty of spare parts. Xantia was my first 'real car' which I bought when moved to the UK. I had a few in past few years, but still love the shape and character of this vehicle.
I've decide to stick with Xantia - just make a list of thing which need to be done and slowly start sorting them out one by one.

PS: I love my XM too, but Xantia is daily/winter car and XM will be my summer toy 8-)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't drive in anything that compact - I can drive the C3 - just, on account that the seat height can be raised quite a bit and that it is easy to get in and out of, but I also have the seat all the way back.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Paul-R wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 08:25 I was loaned a C1 when my car was in for work a few years ago. I thought it had an incredibly harsh ride and said so when I handed it back. The bloke behind the counter said that the Mk1 was even harsher and when the service manager had to drive one back to base a few years ago he had a bad back afterwards.

To some extent this is somewhat inevitable with a car this small. We had a VW Up in the household for a while and it was very nearly as jiggly on poor roads as the 107 was. People don't seem to be willing to put up with any degree of body roll these days, so we get cars with ridiculously stiff dampers. On something as light as the 107 that will obviously make things a bit harsh.

The tyres can make a huge difference. Mine was massively better once I ditched the original low rolling resistance rubbish and fitted some decent rubber. The original tyres were terrible in pretty every regard and changing them really did transform the car.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Zelandeth wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 14:54
Paul-R wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 08:25 I was loaned a C1 when my car was in for work a few years ago. I thought it had an incredibly harsh ride and said so when I handed it back. The bloke behind the counter said that the Mk1 was even harsher and when the service manager had to drive one back to base a few years ago he had a bad back afterwards.

To some extent this is somewhat inevitable with a car this small. We had a VW Up in the household for a while and it was very nearly as jiggly on poor roads as the 107 was. People don't seem to be willing to put up with any degree of body roll these days, so we get cars with ridiculously stiff dampers. On something as light as the 107 that will obviously make things a bit harsh.

The tyres can make a huge difference. Mine was massively better once I ditched the original low rolling resistance rubbish and fitted some decent rubber. The original tyres were terrible in pretty every regard and changing them really did transform the car.

Was out in my daughter's Megane earlier and while it is "OK" I found the steering heavy and twitchy and the ride fairly harsh.
Same journey an hour later in the C5 and far more comfortable and and relaxed, also more sure-footed.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Visa! 17RD ideal, fast, very soft and comfortable, might be a bit old and rust-buckety by now though.

Had a C1 for a while, fine for 2, (very) occasional 4. Mine was on a 13 plate and they upped the gear ratios to get to the magic 99g CO2, older ones were just over 100 so not tax free. I think that was the only engineering change, you had to stir the gears a bit but it went well enough. Easily diy fixable for most things, yes it was harsh. Went to garden centre for 2 bags of compost, put them in the boot, left them there for a month or so because it was quieter and nicer to drive. FUN. Best thing was heading into car park spaces and not having to think about it. Boot is tiny, your supermarket shopping wont fall over. Wouldn't want many hours in it in one go. Seats remarkably comfortable for me. Good support.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Richard_C wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 22:21 Visa! 17RD ideal, fast, very soft and comfortable, might be a bit old and rust-buckety by now though.

Might be a challenge, only 4 still licensed!!
Richard W