CAV injector pump and injectors

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

CAV injector pump and injectors

Post by sparksie »

Hi all
I've been searching for parts for my BMC 1.5 diesel engine, which has had a long period with river water in the sump and on top of the pistons.
Before I tear it down, to rebuild it, I want to assemble a stash of parts that MAY be required.
The injector pump is a CAV type and one of my colleagues has donated a reconditioned CAV pump and injectors from an unknown Peugeot engine, which I suspect is a 504 lump.
This is unlikely to be right for the little BMC, but it seems a shame to waste it.
If I post the part number and, perhaps, the engine number that it came from, some of you guys may know what it's for and/or have a use for it.
I'm interested in any BMC 1.5 diesel bits you might have in exchange...
Cheers
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: CAV injector pump and injectors

Post by Peter.N. »

I had a BX with a CAV pump and the front bearing failed due to water in the fuel, it still ran but was leaking like a sieve. If the pump you have is identical or at least the same type it will probably be only the fuel delivery that's different so that should be adjustable, if its off a 504 it will go well!.

I have had a few of those engines in the past, I had an original A55 diesel in the '60's. I am wondering if it uses the same pump as the Perkins 4/99/108, if I remember rightly that was a DPA. Don't have any bits now I'm afraid but I believe I have a service manual for that engine, I do for the Perkins so if I don't forget, I will compare them.

There are still quite a few of those Perkins engines about as they use them in boats. I also know someone who has a couple of BMC mini tractors, they use the 'A' series engine but the pump might be the same.

Peter
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

This one is a DPA R3442280
4.88 MOD
CODE 27 1 000 2 00

The engine has a label proclaiming "MOTEUR No. 210????
TYPE-XDP 4x88 CODE 34
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Came across this today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-1-5-dies ... ctupt=true

Met my friend with the BMC tractors, he apparently has three, two 850cc and a 1500. He got rid of all his spare pumps last year but he knows who has them so may be able to retrieve one

Haven't found my Perkins book yet will try and look tomorrow.

Peter
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Peter
Wow! If that's indicative of what they're worth, I'll have to treat the Pug one with a bit more respect!
The one I envisage using myself hasn't been rebuilt, but was running unusually well, prior to the water incident. I'm hoping, being a sealed system, that the pump/injectors have survived.
I also have a non-running BMC, that has a believed good pump, but it's been in storage for nearly 10 years and not sealed, due to bits being cannibalised off it. The leak-off pipes are lost, along with all bar one of the banjo bolts that secure them, and at least one injector has been swapped, in a diagnostic session with another engine. I don't remember whether it has it's own injector back, or a dud from the other engine. It was only loosely fitted, as a plug to keep crud out.
Given all this, I'm inclined to believe the injectors are only fit for rebuilding and the pump is dubious.
This is why I'm interested. I'm doing this on a shoestring, in my non-existent spare time, so I'm dreading getting it all back together and finding I'm missing something crucial that makes it all a wasted effort.l
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Injector pumps are expensive, always have been, I didn't think the price of a recon was too bad seeing its age, or in fact that someone still reconditions them.

The DPA pump doesn't seem to suffer to badly due to water ingress, depending on how much and how long of course. I used to run Perkins 4/108 powered vehicles for may years, I converted around a dozen cars from the '50,s to the '80,s using engines from Bedford vans onto which you could fit an overdrive Vauxhall gearbox. I had my own diesel tank until it got ridiculously expensive, I had problems with the throttles sticking on several vehicles which I eventually found was due to a leak on my diesel storage tank, there was a plate on the top which I eventually had no gasket on it and the rain was getting in, it would even cause them to stop altogether because the fuel filter was full of water!

What was happening was that the metering valve was sticking due to the rust forming on it, a quick removal and clean restored operation. I would take off the top of the pump, very carefully as the metering valve is very brittle and snaps easily, looks just like a long thin piston, have a good look into the pump and see how much crud is in it. Is it seized or does it still rotate? Those pumps seem to be pretty robust so if its not seized a good flush out might do the trick.

Peter
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Peter
Poor health stopped play and now I'm way behind on paid work, so no BMCing for me, for a little while.
As to the price of the pump, I am aware they're not cheap, but any time I ever see these engines advertised for sale, they invariably come with a pump and often for less than that pump alone is costing.
That, in conjunction with their unpopularity and the fact I got the recon Pug one, with 4 injectors, free, led me to expect the Lucas CAV pump to be cheaper than an equivalent Bosch one, which it isn't.
If that one sells I may consider listing this one, which I've now wrapped up in bubble wrap and put in a drawer that isn't used, to await developments
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD