Who decides?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Who decides?

Post by Peter.N. »

I think really poor people can cook themselves a healthy meal for less than the cost of a burger - well a Burger King one anyway, although I must admit to liking the occasional whopper with cheese and it does contain some fresh vegetable matter.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Funny how you select your preferred brands, or boycott others.

I have never had a Burger King since Dublin Airport about 20 years ago, after a particularly bad one. McDonalds survived for some time afterwards, but has also been relegated into the "only if desperate" category following a duff big mac which happened to co-incide with the burning rubber of an about to fail timing belt in the car park when the water pump siezed!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't see how people can say junk food is cheap - especially fast food - the prices are shocking! It's no wonder some families are saying they are in poverty when they live on this stuff like Macdonald's (and I've known families that do live on this stuff because they don't / won't / can't cook).

When you can buy 2 small chickens in Aldi for under a fiver - that's 2 meals for a family of 4 with some rice or tatties and veg. You can't even buy one big mac large meal for £5!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

But then they have to go to all the trouble of cooking it!

I appreciate that not all fast food/takeaways are junk but as Davie has pointed out, the bulk of it is.
It appals me to see the amount of takeaways being brought/delivered to families in my street alone.

First McDonald's meal I had was in Denmark, travelling to Germany.
It was at 3am and was excellent and inexpensive.
Next and last was in the newly opened one in South Shields, took daughter #2 and her mates for her birthday.
It was expensive and grim. Never again.
Have had a few Chinese takeaways but knew the owners and had done work in the kitchens and seen what went in to the meals and how they were prepared.
World of difference.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

There are some good burgers if you are prepared to pay. There's a 50's style diner chain here that sells ½ pounder and chips for about €15 so £12 ish. It's real minced beef not frozen plenty of fresh lettuce tomatoes etc on a bun that actually tastes like bread. The chips are as good as an English chipper ( I admit to a soft spot for English chip shops) and it's served on a plate. You could eat that or eat 15 Eurosaver burgers at McD's for the same 15 yoyos.
Oh buggle
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Several years ago, while I was working at Royal Ascot, one of the other team members managed to get us all an Ascot Burger and chips each. They were going for £8 (although we got them for free). When I saw the price (I had wandered past that outlet on a couple of occasions) I wondered how they could justify charging so much. After I had mine I ended up wondering how they could do it so cheaply. It was (and, so far, still is) the best burger and chips I have ever had.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
doctle

Post by doctle »

Oh buggle
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

That's full of food names that mean nothing to me!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul-R wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 22:23 That's full of food names that mean nothing to me!

That's probably the intention - bullshit baffles brains.
doctle

Post by doctle »

Oreos and McNuggets are fairly well known worldwide! I know what goes into fast food I used to work in a slaughter house the only thing they threw out was the squeals bleats and moos of the animals
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

doctle wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 23:11 Oreos and McNuggets are fairly well known worldwide! I know what goes into fast food I used to work in a slaughter house the only thing they threw out was the squeals bleats and moos of the animals

My wife became vegetarian after seeing some of the abattoir operations but especially the mechanically recovered meat bit.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

doctle wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 16:35 There are some good burgers if you are prepared to pay. There's a 50's style diner chain here that sells ½ pounder and chips for about €15 so £12 ish. It's real minced beef not frozen plenty of fresh lettuce tomatoes etc on a bun that actually tastes like bread. The chips are as good as an English chipper ( I admit to a soft spot for English chip shops) and it's served on a plate. You could eat that or eat 15 Eurosaver burgers at McD's for the same 15 yoyos.

Must be Eddie Rocket's - yup, they're better than the average (also have the largest burger van I've ever seen!)

T(ransport)f(or)L(ondon) have got in on the act now, banning ads for "non-compliant" foods in Tube stations & at bus stops: one company has been asked to remove jam, butter, bacon, juice* - & elderflower, from a photograph depicting a typical family breakfast table.

*pretty sure the list was longer, but that's all I can remember.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
doctle

Post by doctle »

Yes Eddie Rockets sadly the waitresses don't wear mini skirts but you cant expect too much for 15 yoyos
Oh buggle
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

the state being hell-bent on Policing* every aspect of our lives, even down to our Diet; is just so weird to me.

I noted the power of advertising though in a recent convo with 20-something Step-daughter who said "they must be OK, they advertise on the TV" [-X . I guess this attitude is how the Independent TV co's manage to make money.

*or at least appearing to wish to do so

At least we still have a (supposed) Democracy though
Puxa
doctle

Post by doctle »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 11:55 the state being hell-bent on Policing* every aspect of our lives, even down to our Diet; is just so weird to me.

I noted the power of advertising though in a recent convo with 20-something Step-daughter who said "they must be OK, they advertise on the TV" [-X . I guess this attitude is how the Independent TV co's manage to make money.

*or at least appearing to wish to do so

At least we still have a (supposed) Democracy though

The state takes an interest for several reasons. Obese people need more medical care and that's a cost to the state a huge cost. Diabetes is a big risk in the overweight this is more medical costs plus stuff like days off work etc. Probably many more reasons. If you want to plat your chest hair or tattoo your legs the state doesn't care because it won't be a cost to anyone except maybe your dignity medical care costs medicines costs and everyone is paying.
Oh buggle