Who decides?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Who decides?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

What is 'junk food' I note there's a suggestion that junk food adverts should not be on tv before 9pm, who decides what fits that category Jamie Oliver? :shock:

Franky I think they're bloody mad, are they going to set up a new bureaucracy to police it or will we have long drawn out court cases like they had to decide if Jaffa cakes were cakes or biscuits for the vat rules?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Who decides?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Its all a matter of opinion. Take the humble pizza.

If its cooked in Naples by an old italian who makes it in the same way their great great grandmother did in 1852 then a pizza is a wonderful culinary delight, full of fresh mediterranean goodness, herbs/olive oil/tomatoes/hand kneaded dough and the worlds healthiest food salty anchovies!

If it is cooked by a franchised chain like Pizza-Hut/Dominos/Papa Johns and instead of Mozarella uses cater-pack Pizza Cheese then it is junk food.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

OK Neil I'll put your name in to the selection committee. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that it is only a slight generalisation to say that any food advertised on TV is a junk food, so all good advertising should be banned.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I don't understand the need to protect what must be a very small group of youngsters who actually go out & buy their own food.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Now this surprised me......

"The term junk food dates back at least to the early 1950s, although its coinage has been credited to Michael F. Jacobson of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, in 1972. In 1952, it appeared in the Lima, Ohio, News, "'Junk Foods' Cause Serious Malnutrition", the headline for a reprint of a 1948 article from the Ogden, Utah, Standard-Examiner, originally titled, "Dr. Brady’s Health Column: More Junk Than Food".

And some useful definitions:

"In Andrew F. Smith's Encyclopedia of Junk Food and Fast Food, junk food is defined as "those commercial products, including candy, bakery goods, ice cream, salty snacks, and soft drinks, which have little or no nutritional value but do have plenty of calories, salt, and fats. While not all fast foods are junk foods, most are. Fast foods are ready-to-eat foods served promptly after ordering. Some fast foods are high in calories and low in nutritional value, while other fast foods, such as salads, may be low in calories and high in nutritional value."

Junk food provides empty calories, supplying little or none of the protein, vitamins, or minerals required for a nutritious diet. Many foods, such as hamburgers, pizza, and tacos, can be considered either healthy or junk food, depending on their ingredients and preparation methods.[18] The more highly processed items usually fall under the junk food category, including breakfast cereals that are mostly sugar or high fructose corn syrup and white flour or milled corn.

The UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which regulates the UK ad industry, uses nutrient profiling to define junk food. Foods are scored for "A" nutrients (energy, saturated fat, total sugar and sodium) and "C" nutrients (fruit, vegetables and nut content, fiber and protein). The difference between A and C scores determines whether a food or beverage is categorized as HFSS (high in fat, salt and sugar; a term synonymous with junk food)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_food
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

If you get fish and chips from a traditional chipper you get a large piece of cod, hand cut chips, salt and vinegar. Compare that to a McDonald's fish meal that contains minced white fish, something that vaguely looks like batter but tastes of nothing and matchstick fries coated in flavourings and flavour enhancers. I know which one I prefer. You know when you see an ad on TV for a computer game and it says on the bottom of the screen "not actual game footage" ? Junk food is like that in that it's not actual food. It you buy the game the actual graphics fall way short of what you see in the ad.
I see small children drinking a well known energy drink, that's junk just sugar caffeine and water. When I was young I didn't need energy drinks and nowadays kids aren't out playing football or whatever every spare minute they are playing their badly animated games drinking energy drinks and eating frozen crap or chocolate.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Fillet o fish used to be 100% cod before the frogs legged it off with all our cod. And I LOVED them, plus a Big Mac (with no green boogers, but with extra plastic cheese) when it was a Big Mac not a Mini Mac.

Unfortunately, it’s like the Mars bar syndrome, they used to be the size of shoe boxes, but gradually shave a bit off each year until now they are the size of a twiglet.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
doctle

Post by doctle »

Nearly all the chippers in Ireland are run by Italians however there's one in Donegal run by a mad Englishman I try to get there a couple of times a year, His fish is better his chips are perfect and if you have a little Scottish blood he will deep fry a Mars bar for €1.00
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I feel a coronary coming on at the thought of deep fried Mars bar! :vomit1:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Ever had a deep fried steak pie :?: ........If you ever venture to Dunbar this is the place to go to sample this delicacy!
screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle

Post by doctle »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 22:33 Ever had a deep fried steak pie :?: ........If you ever venture to Dunbar this is the place to go to sample this delicacy!

temp4.png

Regards Neil

Is it worth going for?
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

doctle wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 22:45 Is it worth going for?
er...not really, I imagine you may be just a touch disappointed if you jumped on a plane flew to Edinburgh and took the train out to Dunbar especially for the deep-fried steak pie. :-D

I did it once when given responsibility for the catering on a day trip, but have gone for the fish and chips on all other occasions.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Well as a guy who works in a chip shop, kebab shop burger bar, and pizza parlour I feel I have to comment here! Fish and chips, 100% fresh haddock deepfried in crispy batter, proper chips made from real potatoes. I wouldnt call that junk food. Ditto fresh chicken fillets or chicken breasts. However everything else, pies, sausage, black red and white puddings come in frozen and are deep fried, i would say junk foods. Kebabs, well donner kebab to me is about 99% fat, doesnt matter which kebab shop they come from, and gives me a dose of the runs! Our chicken kebabs are fresh chicken fillets marinated in the boses secret recipie sauce then cooked on a grill and are the healthiest food ever served with a fresh side salad. Definately not junk. All their burgers, not junk like macdonalds or burger king, but not like proper butcher made burgers. 1/2 and 1/2. The pizzas, the bases are guite greasy, loaded with tomato sauce and heaps of cheese before tha toppings go on then more cheese. I would actually class them junk foods. I would just say if you eat a lot from fast food shops stick to fish and chips or chicken kebab. Everything else is a heart attack in a box!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
doctle

Post by doctle »

If you can find a good sit down cafe you can get fish, chips and mushy peas plus tea bread and butter, for a yokel like me that's high class dining!
On a more serious note I believe that poorer people are much more likely to buy junk food, this is just from observation whilst shopping with the wife. Ready cooked meals, frozen burgers, microwave chips etc. I would say it doesn't help that the younger generation can't really cook or understand the difference between a roast beef dinner with Yorkshire pudding and the "ready meal" in a plastic tray that's heated in a microwave. Even things like diary spreads that contain solidified veg oil, pre cooked oven chips etc are at best semi junk.
Oh buggle