Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

At least that driverless small bus in Switzerland keeps a couple of humans employed, one on the bus to get it round roadworks, and the other up in the expensive control room monitoring the bus as it travels round its route :-D .

Course as things develop the blokes doing the roadworks could FAX the control room before they start for the morning with their plans for the day, and another human could input the info into the little bus' computa!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

A few years ago the green party was in government here (yes horrible things happen in Ireland) they went on a selling binge they were selling the idea that everyone should drive a diesel. They were also big into 600 foot wind turbines and carbon taxes. Now they are still in favour of big wind and carbon taxes but diesel cars are out now its electric cars. I'm curious as to where the electricity is going to come from to power 2 million cars. We don't have the generating capacity wind turbines aren't reliable so it's nuclear power or we use Russian gas.
Well thought out eh?
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

The end of the wing mirror

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The end of the wing mirror is nigh. The wing camera is on its way...........

(yes no one has had an actual wing mirror for decades but you know what I mean.....)

Bit of a turgid 30 odd minutes unless you are really into your EV's, but this is going to be Honda's EV offering but as we all know its not going to be made in the heart of the world leader in such things (thats the UK of course according to some of our leaders).

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I guess this is going to make Mr Musk sweat a little, Volvo and the Chinese with a car cheaper? than his equivalent Tesla.

This comment below the story made me chuckle, off we go again with the 'mobile phones will kill you' nonsense, look out for the Green Party's input.
Leeyesterday
What happens when the public finds out that the electromagnetic field created in these cars causes health hazards?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volvos-p ... 1314.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 09:16 I guess this is going to make Mr Musk sweat a little, Volvo and the Chinese with a car cheaper? than his equivalent Tesla.

This comment below the story made me chuckle, off we go again with the 'mobile phones will kill you' nonsense, look out for the Green Party's input.
Leeyesterday
What happens when the public finds out that the electromagnetic field created in these cars causes health hazards?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volvos-p ... 1314.html
My daughter was telling me last night that people in Gateshead, where they have replaced the street lights with LEDs, are claiming they cause cancer and are listening in to their thoughts :roll:
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Seems an odd combination LED's listening to your thoughts? Maybe they only give cancer by selective targeting, think the wrong thing and the council afflicts you? Could be nonsense too.
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They smite those who don't pay council tax or put their recycling bins out.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Looks like Tesla are cutting prices.
Beeb

A while back I watched a video about Tesla 3 manufacturing,, which was rather disappointing.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another Tesla fire and fatality
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

An interesting new development from Europe - moving towards mandatory fitting of speed limiting technology in new cars within 3 years as well as other moves designed to improve safety :shock:

Quote: "........a new ruling by the European Parliament could result in the mandatory installation of Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) in all new cars within three years.

Some cars – such as the new Ford Focus – already feature this technology, but it can be easily turned off. The proposed new rules would make sure motorists had to use ISA technology, when fitted. It is expected that the automotive industry will continue to oppose mandatory fitting and use of ISA devices and may attempt to derail the necessary additional legislation required before European Parliamentary elections in May. Negotiations between the European Parliament, member states and the European Commission will determine how the proposed regulations are implemented."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... e29619d145

And also reported:
"A key committee of MEPs has given the green light for a range of new mandatory vehicle safety standards that could apply to new vehicle models within three years.

Members of the European Parliament’s Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) voted today to approve a range of new vehicle safety standards initially proposed by the European Commission in May last year. The measures include new crash testing requirements, mandatory installation of driver assistance systems including Automated Emergency Braking (AEB) with pedestrian and cyclist detection, overridable Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) and Emergency Lane Keeping, as well as a new direct vision standard for lorries and buses to enable drivers to have a better view of other road users around their vehicle.

The requirements also include installation of Event Data Recorders, which record critical information on the status of a vehicle in the moments before a collision and, as in the aviation sector, could help crash investigators understand the causes of collisions in order to help prevent them in the future."
https://etsc.eu/meps-back-life-saving-v ... -key-vote/

There's an awful long way between proposals and legislation, and I can well imagine some of the German car manufacturer's being most vociferous in their condemnation of the plans :wink: , but it does show an interesting intent from the EU - getting the drivers used to the idea of relinquishing even more control of their own driving 8-[ The proposals actually seem a good idea to me - (for instance) getting cars to stay near or at the speed limit will undoubtedly reduce casualties and road deaths. With the advent of autonomous cars, I wonder if pre-determined speed limits will become a thing of the past as the car will be able to drive at the fastest - safest speed possible ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder if the German authorities will turn a blind eye to the rules when it comes to their own manufacturers VW Audi Mercedes BMW as they seem to have done with the emissions fixing scandal, it took the Californians to dig out the truth there.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Whilst any car can catch fire, a fire at a Tesla workshop and showroom might stretch the fire brigade a little....... :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-47427311
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I think those upset by Tesla's success will be heartened by news of fires, irrespective of cause.
I recall Opel/Vauxhall Zafira (was it?) being out front for their cars catching fire without warning... :shock:
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

white exec wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:37 I think those upset by Tesla's success will be heartened by news of fires, irrespective of cause.
I recall Opel/Vauxhall Zafira (was it?) being out front for their cars catching fire without warning... :shock:

It was but as I recall was due to the fitment of after market parts - aircon control unit after the original failed.

The failure of these things across all makes seems to be a common thing. Surely they can produce something that lasts!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Quite so, Steve. Resistive controls get hot, especially where a 15-20amp blower is involved!
Chris