Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan et cetera

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 17:30 Bring on 'The Donald' - he'd of have things sorted years ago.
I really, really hope that is tongue in cheek.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Worrying to find, post the Honda announcement, business minister Greg Clarke still saying that Britain leads the world in electric vehicle technology. Exactly which are the companies making them?

We may have some good research being carried out in and with universities, but this doesn't seem to be making a dent on the lead which Panasonic, Tesla, Nissan-Renault, and BYD have established. Presumably we'll invent, but leave it to others to develop and produce once again.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan et cetera

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

If the Current UK vehicle manufacturing facilities and don't have in their immediate plans, the transition to assembly/manufacture/development of electric vehicles they are all going on the same journey as Honda. Of course some manufacturers may think petrol is the future, and consume R&D and production lines bringing the next generation of petrol vehicles to market.

Is there a single UK Owned manufacturer left? and is it that important? Even the French Government own a chunk of the UK Automotive manufacturing capacity (via their holding in PSA/Vauxhall and arguably influence/ownership via their stake in Renault and its Alliance with Nissan & Mitshubishi)

Morgan I suppose is always quoted, but unless they have a massive change of phiolosophy they ain't going to produce electric vehicles for the masses, or for whatever mix of urban personal transportation evolves.

Update.....Looks like Morgan have ditched (October 2018) their plans for their first production electric vehicle the EV3. So not a particularly positive story after all!

[quote]Positivity from good old UK Car Company Morgan Edit-OOPs thought this was current when I clicked on the website...it turns out its ancient...2012 Geneva Motor Show!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 19 Feb 2019, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

white exec wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 18:46 Worrying to find, post the Honda announcement, business minister Greg Clarke still saying that Britain leads the world in electric vehicle technology. Exactly which are the companies making them?

Singapore. That's where head Brexiteer James Dyson has decided to build his electric car, instead of putting his money where his mouth is and supporting the UK when it most needs it.

He sending some of those UK jobs Marc is on about to the EU and India too...

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... singapore/
Last edited by Michel on 19 Feb 2019, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 19:20 If the Current UK vehicle manufacturing facilities and don't have in their immediate plans, the transition to assembly/manufacture/development of electric vehicles they are all going on the same journey as Honda. Of course some manufacturers may think petrol is the future, and consume R&D and production lines bringing the next generation of petrol vehicles to market.

Is there a single UK Owned manufacturer left? and is it that important?

No, it's really not important. It's no more important than who owns your favourite soccer team/rugby team/F1 team etc. As long as it creates jobs, prospects and security for the future, it is absolutely unimportant.

The world and business is global, and 24/7/365. Things have moved on from the Empire.. if only people would realise!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Various reasons are cited for Dyson's move, and all probably play their part - whether it's skills shortage over here, or emerging markets over there, but one of the key reasons cited is :
"The most critical motivator, thinks Lim, are investment incentives offered by the Singaporean government – tax breaks, various subsidies like R&D grants, state equity investments and loans. “These have not been and may not be disclosed, but given Singapore's many disadvantages as a manufacturing location especially for automobiles, I can't imagine that Dyson is investing there without some such incentives,” she adds."
Quoted from what would be - I assume - a fairly neutral article which is worth a quick read : https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dyson-m ... -singapore

At a guess - and it is only a guess to try and work out why Dyson didn't stay here - I'd assume these incentives wouldn't be allowed (to be given by the UK) in Eurpoe as they'd be considered state aid ???

Dyson is in business for his long term future - he'll go wherever he thinks that will happen.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

He didn't stay here because of all the EU rules and restrictions and other red tape. that's what happens.
Nor is Dyson fleeing from the UK – it invested an additional £250 million in its Malmesbury facility in 2014 and plans to start teaching engineering degrees there, so Dyson is putting some money where its mouth is on the skills gap
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:05 Dyson is in business for his long term future - he'll go wherever he thinks that will happen.

Yes. HIS. Not mine, not yours, HIS. Got a lot of faith in the UK he so happily lauded before the referendum, eh? Bloody hypocrite.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:11 He didn't stay here because of all the EU rules and restrictions and other red tape. that's what happens.

Please do feel free to point out some of these rules and red tape...?

They don't seem to have done Germany much harm - you know, that country "we" reduced to rubble 75 years ago... not done bad for themselves with all those rules, restrictions and red tape have they?

Oh - and as a member of the EU, we were involved in writing and approving those "rules", so it is rather disingenuous to simply blame them on the evil EU..
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:11 He didn't stay here because of all the EU rules and restrictions and other red tape. that's what happens.
Nor is Dyson fleeing from the UK – it invested an additional £250 million in its Malmesbury facility in 2014 and plans to start teaching engineering degrees there, so Dyson is putting some money where its mouth is on the skills gap
But a more interesting read here - likening the hoover energy tests to the VW emissions scandals - :-D
Sir James Dyson has lost a bid to scrap EU energy labelling laws.

Making his case to the European Court of Justice, the British inventor complained that vacuum cleaners are only tested when they are empty of dust, meaning the ratings are not reflective of performance in real-world conditions. His complaints echo those now being levelled at car emissions tests in the wake of the Volkswagen cheating scandal.

His company, Dyson, has alleged publicly that rival firms in the domestic appliance sector also "cheat" energy efficiency tests and that labelling "misleads consumers to the real environmental impact of the machine they are buying".

While accepting the testing process was flawed, the EU's General Court dismissed Dyson's lawsuit because his company had failed to show that more reliable or accurate tests were available.

Last month the firm launched separate legal action against rivals Bosch and Siemens, after independent tests supposedly showed vacuum cleaners could draw twice the allocated power when operating with dust inside them. This would equate to an AAAA test rating dropping to an E or F in the home. Bosch and Siemens have denied the claims and threatened to counter-sue.

Sir James said yesterday's ruling "defies belief" and has compared the findings to the VW emissions-rigging scandal. "It is deplorable that the ECJ endorses tests that don't attempt to represent in-home use, and we believe this is causing consumers to be misled," He said.

The decision comes the day after David Cameron called for an end to punitive red tape in Brussels.
Bosch to co
So Bon Voyage it seems!

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dyson only has to wait a couple of years after cutting his electric car making teeth in Singapore, and he will find an empty manufacturing plant in Swindon, able to produce 250,000 cars a year, and a willing experienced local workforce, and probably acres to expand into.

By that time the UK will have public charging points all over the place because we are world leaders in that sort of thing.

All he would need would be a white charger to ride in with and his ego may be sufficiently massaged for the prodigal to return!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Michel wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:12
bobins wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:05 Dyson is in business for his long term future - he'll go wherever he thinks that will happen.

Yes. HIS. Not mine, not yours, HIS.
Yep, totally agree, but I don't consider that Mr Dyson owes me a living. It'd be lovely if he did.... but he doesn't.
Got a lot of faith in the UK he so happily lauded before the referendum, eh? Bloody hypocrite.

I'm sure he would have loved to have kept his operations in th UK... if the figures stacked up, but they didn't. I'm also sure he would have had both official and unofficial negotiations with the UK Govt. over possible financial incentives to keep his operations here, but they obviously weren't good enough.
As I said before - Dyson is in business for his long term future - he'll go wherever he thinks that will happen.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:21 Dyson only has to wait a couple of years after cutting his electric car making teeth in Singapore, and he will find an empty manufacturing plant in Swindon, able to produce 250,000 cars a year, and a willing experienced local workforce, and probably acres to expand into.
Regards Neil

This sadly is pure fantasy as he'll get them produced far far cheaper in China, as you well know.

That is, unless by then things have got so bad here that Swindon locals will work for Chinese size salaries...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:21 Dyson only has to wait a couple of years after cutting his electric car making teeth in Singapore, and he will find an empty manufacturing plant in Swindon, able to produce 250,000 cars a year, and a willing experienced local workforce, and probably acres to expand into.

By that time the UK will have public charging points all over the place because we are world leaders in that sort of thing.

All he would need would be a white charger to ride in with and his ego may be sufficiently massaged for the prodigal to return!

Regards Neil

Before anyone jumps at me to shoot me down - this ISN'T MEANT AS BAIT OR INFlAMMATORY COMMENTS !!!!!! [-X

If the financial incentives are there, I'm sure Mr Dyson would love to bring manufacturing back here. I do, however, doubt that the UK Govt would be allowed to give the incentives he would like.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, not at all I think it's good to have a decent conversation about manufacturing or the lack of it - as long as we all keep calm and respect each other's different view points whilst keeping any politics out of it.

This is something happening on a Global scale - but we can't go on mass producing goods for the hell of it - it isn't sustainable. Another article today concerning the fashion / clothing industry and the high content of plastic in clothes that are causing issues as they can't all be recycled. Two guesses where most of that is coming from?

I mentioned the other day at home why don't we get all our woollen mills back up and running and start making British clothes again? I was told because as in years gone by the likes of M&S undies were indestructible and never wore out, so there was no money in it. :-D

Come to think of it, I think I still have a few of my Dad's (RIP) old M&S numbers in the cleaning rag box - surely a testament to their longevity!

I think people would pay a bit more for good quality clothes. Personally, I always find clothing without any polyester of other derivatives like that in - and get a high cotton / wool content wherever I can - mainly because I don't want to be giving off electric shocks to everyone around me.

Marc