Scrapyards & Scrapyard purchases.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Scrapyards....

Post by Peter.N. »

There are some good pictures of Blackborough House on you tube and Google, both before and after, some interesting cars there. They are apparently converting it to a 40 bedroom hotel - if they get permission, it seems the locals are against it. Built in 1838 it was originally a 60 roomed house. Its going to take some cash to sort it out.

Peter
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Bit of a rock and roll party house for a while wasn't it? Remember hearing tales of parties at a house surrounded by scrap cars??
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its been owned by a number of people, one was something to do with motor racing - so I wouldn't be surprised!

Peter
25v6turbo
My Cars: Safranes.....

Post by 25v6turbo »

Blackborough house still exists and has had a major clearout with next to no cars left now either on the grounds or inside the building,i was told that the building still contained a few gems including the previous owners racing trophies,bet they have long gone.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This looks an interesting scrapyard to add to the list inc a bx and a rover p6 next to each other.

Posted up in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61333#p591838

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So, this Aston Martin Lagonda Rapide Shooting brake appears in the Scrapyard thread because....

The tailgate came from an unrevealed, and unidentified donor vehicle from a County Durham scrapyard..and also Peter.N. did mention he had seen a Lagonda Rapide in Barwick's Scrapyard which may well have been in Sidcup.
temp5.png
https://www.classicandsportscar.com/new ... ff-lagonda

"The most difficult task for Radgick and Carrosserie was the tailgate. “We were going to make it from scratch,” he says. “So I went to Pilkington to see about making a rear ’screen for it. They said: ‘We’ll do it. The first one will cost you £14,000, but after that they are £150 each.’”

In the end Dick Francis of Carrosserie went down to the scrapyard. “He took his tape and measured up loads of hatchbacks,” says Radgick. “Eventually he found one that was a pretty good fit.” Radgick is coy about which car donated its rear hatch and glass because he has a bet running with a friend – £20 says he can’t guess what it’s from. Francis took the whole top half of the hatchback and mated it to the back end of the original Rapide bootlid. Apart from the lack of chrome trim around the ’screen rubber it looks convincing and, being from a modern car, it has the advantage of gas struts, a heated ’screen, plus a rear wash/wipe"
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

It was a Facel Vega and it was in the West Kingsdown one, Len Barwick that was probably related. The one near Sidcup had an Austin 7 on top of a pole if I remember rightly.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 15:43 It was a Facel Vega and it was in the West Kingsdown one, Len Barwick that was probably related. The one near Sidcup had an Austin 7 on top of a pole if I remember rightly.
Peter

My mistake Peter I thought you were talking about the Lagonda. Oldclasssiccar.co.uk. have a feature on old magazines one of which they discussed was issued by the Motor Vehicles Dismantlers Association called "Spares market". Issue No 2 from the mid sixties had adverts in for some notable dismantlers at that time, including JJ Barwick of Sidcup Motors.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/spares-market.htm
F. Brewer (Autospares Birmingham) Limited, which claimed to be the "largest vehicle dismantlers in the Midlands"
Motolympia mail order parts by the station Welshpool
Power Brothers Limited at Heston Airport
Birds of Aston near Sheffield

and others
Harold Poyser Ltd (Manchester), Cornforth Auto Spares Ltd (Co. Durham), Express Salvage (Smethwick), J.J. Barwick of Sidcup Motors, Walcross (Motors and Accessories) Ltd, and Motor Crash Repairs (Finchley) Ltd,
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've been in the one Chris mentions -- Bridges at Pease Pottage (just off the M23) several times. Their ground is huge and divided into several compounds. One is full of fairly modern write-offs where the complete car is for sale. Another compound has five to fifteen-year-old vehicles where you can remove parts yourself. Then they have a couple of warehouses containing engines, gearboxes, doors, electrical parts and part-worn tyres which they will fit on your own rims. They also have many stacks of alloy sets. At the bottom end of the yard is the crusher. Amazing to see a stripped shell being dropped in. Then after a few minutes a 2x1ft solid block being spewed out.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I remember the elevated Austin 7 from days long ago when I, infrequently, used that stretch of road (given I was living in Harrow). I suppose it is now my local yard as, to my amazement, I discovered relatively recently, it's still there (the yard, not the A7).

Expensive rear windows & breaker's yards reminds me of another one long ago, improbably located behind the cinema in Pinner High Street,that I used to frequent. One day, they had a Jensen Interceptor in - written off for a broken rear window (about £600 at the time i-i-r-c)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

As I mentioned in toolbag tales today, had a scrapyard visit this week armed only with a £5 note in my wallet.

I was after a section of wiring for the ABS of a Vectra.

Of all the scrapyards in all the world, I walked in told the guy what I wanted, and there on a raised platform, the only one in the yard, was a Vectra they had been taking parts off. It was if it had just beem placed there to satisfy my own needs!

Disconnect two connectors, hand over the £5 work of only a few minutes.......yes if it wasnt for the PITA electrical connectors, and the front wheels in the way and at just the wrong angle!

Did get it out and it solved the problem, but probably after 20 minutes of fiddling and hands as black as the ace of spades!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

That's part of the joy of Proper scrap yards though! The takes atleast a week to get off oily gunge!🤪
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

3 x high stacking
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Wokingham Car Spares (near Wokingham, obviously) have heavy duty 'I beam' racks stacking cars 4 high (they will lift them down free of charge), and have other racks set up to you can work on the underside of the vehicles safely.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Scrapyards & Scrapyard purchases.

Here's the latest scrapyard purchase. It will hopefully become a decent tool
nf own work
nf own work
A decent tool? Its one of those silly little temporary spare wheels.

Ah yes but now I have 2 of them, it means that I can now use these 1960's relics
Spoiler: show
nf own work  Yes alloy wheels and wide tyres make these unusable
nf own work Yes alloy wheels and wide tyres make these unusable
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey