Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Whatsthisthen?..new one to try

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Come on Neil wake up. :-D think Brummie. Made in a shed. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed medinashed

^^^ thats just for the google search bot!
Gibbo2286 wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 11:23 Come on Neil wake up. :-D think Brummie. Made in a shed. :-D

:oops: #-o I'd better go back and delete my post :-D before too many people see it :!: :!:

Still...does show up how useless google can be so I have changed the topic title to Medinashed etc so their bots at work on the forum pick it up as a valid search term, and save some sleepyheads like me from possible embarassment :oops:

Hope it brought a smile though, thanks for the education gibbo

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Certainly viable terminology in Yorkshire and recognised here too.
Perhaps it hasn't crept as far north as you Neil :)

If it is of any consolation, IxQuick doesn't recognise it either.

Neither does Lycos.

DuckDuckGo did find this though.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Or even medofashed :)
Nicked from autoshite
Nicked from autoshite
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 22:06
Heres one, which I would say if you believe in unbelievable co-incidences, you may be the best placed to get it Bobins....open to everyone of course.

Regards Neil

Is it a fire hazard ? :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When you are done with it, it is firewood.
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 13:52

Is it a fire hazard ? :-D
[/quote]

Yes but thats not the exact name on ther card!

In yet another unbelievable co-incidence....although easily explained in that our friends at oldclassiccar.co.uk must view the FCF from time to time...this is their photo of the day today

http://s104980574.websitehome.co.uk/occ ... car/44.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Clue 1....The full auction description--minus obvious give aways. Surprisingly it did 0-60 in 6 seconds and Autocar described it as.... “the most stable and delightful three-wheeler we have ever driven.”
Spoiler: show
The :?: was a joint venture between the race car sleuth, Colin Crabbe, also the man behind Antique Automoblies, the complete Automobilist and the designer, xxxxxx. Colin Crabbe, the larger than life character whose company Antique Automobiles was involved in, amongst many things automobile related, Grand Prix racing. Not only did Colin give Neil Corner his one and only Grand Prix drive but later managed the well known team members and drivers such as Vic Elford and Ronnie Peterson. Later, Colin famously discovered many interesting and valuable motor cars, firstly in Brazil and then Cuba. During those Grand Prix years, his association with xxxxxx, who was a Morgan three-wheeler fanatic, led to a project to produce a three-wheel production car that was fast, light, safe and could be used on a daily basis resulting in a nostalgically styled, but astonishingly rapid three wheeled sports car inspired by the like of pre- war Morgan. Named the :?: , it claimed 0-60 in less than six seconds; thus outpacing a Porsche 911. Production cars were fibreglass, but this unique prototype was hand constructed in marine ply and aluminium and slightly longer as its glorious ‘deco’ style boat tail accentuates. The :?: was constructed in hardwood with mahogany faced marine ply and aluminium. Mechanically, the cars were largely BMC based. Motoring journals were very impressed with :?: in 1971. Motor devoted a three-page road test to the :?: while Autocar concluded “the most stable and delightful three-wheeler we have ever driven.” Despite its extreme rarity, the :?: is acknowledged in Georgano’s Encyclopaedia of Motor Manufacturers. In total around seven :?: and five ? models were made between 1969 and 1980. These :?: are extremely fast with the ? model able to reach 140mph!

This early example, produced during Crabbe’s involvement is a unique long wheel base prototype built for Crabbe’s 6ft 6in frame and powered by an Oselli tuned twin carburettor 1,275cc engine. It was the featured press car and then subsequently became a Crabbe family keepsake, spending most of the subsequent 39 years as a runaround at their Aberdeenshire Estate. In 2009, this :?: was an invited guest at Mini’s 50th celebration at Goodwood when xxxxxx was reunited with it. Colin Crabbe parted with the :?: in 2010, the 2nd owner being a retired RAF Vulcan pilot, at which time it had covered only 5,000 miles with a further 2,500 more having been covered subsequently. The current owner, purchased the car from the 2nd owner, the perfectly sound wooden body had been carefully prepared and rejuvenated with eight coats of marine varnish by notable Starcraft and Riva restorer Terry Dann, who is also known for building the iconic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang wooden ‘boat tail’ for the original 1968 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film. Whilst being very careful not to over-restore this unique vehicle, the partially exposed engine compartment and ancillaries have been detailed, the custom made boot rack and wheels have been shot blasted and painted. The charming perambulator hood frame was restored, the fabric remaining original whilst the aluminium bonnet was carefully polished.

This :?: is UK registered, the original green log book also accompanying the current V5C registration document. The voluminous history file includes the :?: original sales brochure, a signed photograph of Colin Crabbe with Ronnie Petersen, the original Autocar and Motor features plus other press articles of the period mainly featuring this actual car. There are also several photographs of this motor car including, a 1970’s photograph of the car in Aberdeenshire and at Goodwood in 2009 and several within a dedicated chapter on the :?: within a signed hard back copy of “Thrill of the Chase” by Colin Crabbe’s autobiography. Numerous service bills, letters from both xxxx and Colin Crabbe to the second owner and old MOT’s etc. are also included. This :?: , with its fascinating history, may appeal to either a Mini or Microcar collector, and with hints of a Gipsy Moth and Slipper Launch about it, may equally tempt a vintage plane or boat enthusiast, or maybe, an enthusiast who wants a piece of unique British motoring history.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I haven't looked at the auction website, and I haven't looked at the spoiler - so this is a genuine guess - but is it a (questionably) rebodied Berkeley ? Possibly a T60/T90 ?
NewcastleFalcon

Its a noble effort, but there's no holds barred. Part of the spoiler contains this....

"In total around seven :?: and five ? models were made between 1969 and 1980. These :?: are extremely fast with the ? model able to reach 140mph!

Its going to be difficult without using the clue.....unless you are familiar with the story, or you follow the trail of the FCF coincidence

So your last whatsthisthen? within a day or so an Ashley appears on oldclassiccar.co.uk's car of the day today
Citro Jim has a cycle ride to Biggleswade to supply a picture of the day for the FCF today, and where are/were your Berkeley three wheelers made.................yes Biggleswade
..and if you follow whatsthisthen? there is another similar recent coincidence which will lead you to the answer!

Easier to go through the spoiler and google some of the wordy bits :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

To quote from some bloke that frequents these parts.......
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 18:41
Maybe that’s AF on the badge, maybe it stands for Alexander Fraser, .........welll known for three wheelers,

An AF Spider, no less :-D
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 17:20 An AF Spider, no less :-D

Persistance pays well done. Up for auction by Historics at Brooklands, at Ascot Racecourse March 2nd 2019. How often do they come up at Auction.....never, and I discover one is up for sale within days of mentioning it for the first time ever on the FCF, albeit as an incorrect guess. What are the chances of that happening? ...and its not just any AF spider its the one with the story and specially extended to get the 6ft 6in "race car sleuth" and co-developer Colin Crabbe into the car.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... r-spider/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 14:15
In yet another unbelievable co-incidence....although easily explained in that our friends at oldclassiccar.co.uk must view the FCF from time to time...this is their photo of the day today

http://s104980574.websitehome.co.uk/occ ... car/44.jpg

Regards Neil

What's the most obscure classic car we can put up here to see if it gets featured on oldclassiccar.co .uk ? :lol:
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 17:43 What's the most obscure classic car we can put up here to see if it gets featured on oldclassiccar.co .uk ? :lol:

Obscurity may not be the attraction. How about something many people will remember although few people will have seen in the flesh, and even fewer including me realising where the name came from....the curious can look it up on wiki!

The Mini Moke! If it pops up tomorrow on oldclassiccar...they have some spies in the camp!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Obscure? Historic? It's Moke for heaven's sake - the Beeb used them as camera dollies for golf tournaments, courtesy of Greenford Motors (i-i-r-c) - who also supplied the (then) unique white one (with the candystripe canopy) for . . . . ?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o