Pollution From The M1

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Pollution From The M1

Post by CitroJim »

Most mornings I run a big loop around my home town, a town that straddles the M1 Motorway close to Junction 14...

My run takes me very close to the M1 at several points and this morning I particularly noticed how the level of traffic pollution grew almost exponentially the closer I got :evil: I notice it most mornings but today it seemed much, much worse...

At some points you could cut the atmosphere with a knife...

Maybe it was a function of the cool, still air?

Or perhaps it's my severe allergy to VOCs, exhaust fumes, petroleum products and mineral oils?

I feel really sorry for those who live close to the M1 and can't help feeling moves to reduce vehicle use and the ramping up of electric traction just cannot come soon enough...

This morning i was particularly shocked by it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Pollution From The M1

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Don't forget there are roadworks along that stretch (upgrading to a (so called) 'smart' motorway), so vehicles will be moving slower, with more pollution produced and less turbulence to help disperse it.

I could still ask my brother if you want an S10 respirator, if it would help! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Pollution From The M1

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 10:44 Don't forget there are roadworks along that stretch (upgrading to a (so called) 'smart' motorway), so vehicles will be moving slower, with more pollution produced and less turbulence to help disperse it.
Three lanes are currently open in both directions despite the roadworks and traffic at 5AM seems to be going as fast as normal... It's always so heavy... Even at that time of day... The mind boggles at how many vehicles seem to be constantly on the go...
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 10:44I could still ask my brother if you want an S10 respirator, if it would help! :D

Running in it might be fun :lol: It'll surely slow me down!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...