Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

Post by bobins »

van ordinaire wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 20:55 Well, I've now read this in entirety & I'd just like to thank you all for making me alternate between anger & despair - & end up thouroughly depressed!

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today" Malcolm X
....though i'm sure there are (even) more demoralising quotes for those that desire them :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

bobins wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 21:14
van ordinaire wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 20:55 Well, I've now read this in entirety & I'd just like to thank you all for making me alternate between anger & despair - & end up thouroughly depressed!

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today" Malcolm X
....though i'm sure there are (even) more demoralising quotes for those that desire them :-D

The supposed Latin REME motto 'nil illigitimi carborundum' is best bobins (Don't let the B??tards wear you down.) :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

And right on cue, a word from the BBC.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Just the same trite old rubbish. Many people buy/drive cars because they like them. Computers are hopelessly unreliable & insecure, perhaps the only thing they have in common with taxis &/or their drivers. There are NOT infinite supplies of lithium & cobalt - any more than there is of oil, as was fondly believed in the '50's.

Delighted to read that special research/trials is having to be conducted in a London suburb because it's been realised that autonymous cars cannot cope with the British pedestrians' freedom to roam - & their obvious delight in exercising that right. There IS hope, yet!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Post by Subsonicnat »

Well the cat may be out the bag,as was the VW scam on MOT s..
Apparently {Short Version} Cars Which can run on both electric and fuel are still not up to scratch.
20/40 miles on electric, The rest will still be on fossil fuels..
Now the ALL Electric car,high end,,may be capable of 100/200 miles but completely discharging the car over night charge needed...
Point is the the HYBRID will be regarded by FULL ELECTRIC car owners as cheating by getting lower tax concessions... The Balls in Your Court Lads.. :-))
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Have been saying just that for some time now . . . The electric range of most hybrids (not least the Prius and much-promoted Mitsubishi ?Outlander ) is quite pathetic, and the cars must surely spend most of their annual mileage running on petrol - not least in the case of Prius taxis! Fortunately, this is now being rumbled, and some city congestion/low emission zones are now no longer allowing these vehicles to be emissions-exempt, and subsidies on their purchase are being removed.

They always were a cynical move by the car makers to prolong sales of petrol engines, while pushing the line that they were a green contribution to city conditions. In some cases (Prius again) battery charging was only possible from the petrol engine (and any available regenerative braking), and not even from the grid.

Time we moved on. Hopefully some all-electric expansion may yet happen in Sunderland, but that may have to wait a while yet.
Chris
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

No street lighting, high taxes, paying for bins, gravy trains in the distance etc, fantasy statements about a high tech economy, driverless cars and other associated guff, if you haven't got any of them come to Ireland we have them in spades. Higher road tax for older vehicles we have that too and horrifying insurance rates all available to anyone that want's them. 2 electric car charging points in a fairly large town where you will usually find Juan Kerr's micra parked. If that's not attractive enough we have lousy roads, people parking against the flow in town, no rural bus service, lousy internet speed (expensive too) and really horrible overly zealous traffic wardens everywhere. I think the private car will be around for a long time here
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds like fun.

Do you work for the Irish tourist bureau?
I don't think I will be visiting any time soon :)
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

myglaren wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 23:27 Sounds like fun.

Do you work for the Irish tourist bureau?
I don't think I will be visiting any time soon :)

Maybe I should highlight the good parts? Pot still whiskey, the re-emergence of mini skirts, good snooker tables and people that want to talk about cars everywhere!
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Tempting but I think I'll stay where I am thanks :)
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Progress waits for no man.

On the World At One (Radio 4) today Sarah Montague interviewed Daniel Ruiz from Meridian about reports that we'll have self driving cars on the roads before the end of the year.

Backstory: Meridian "brings together government, academia, innovators and developers of intelligent mobility solutions in a collaborative partnership. It facilitates and supports the acceleration of the UK’s emerging connected and autonomous vehicle sector within the global transport ecosystem with resources to enable profitable growth."
https://meridianmobility.tech/

Mr Ruiz was very careful of his wording as he's under no illusion that all that's wanted are soundbites and quotes, so he stepped around the explanations carefully, but he did explain the situation fairly well......

There was a bit of waffle earlier on, which I've not bothered with, but here's the relevant bits:

SM: When will I be able to buy a car that I don't actually need to ever turn the steering wheel ?

DR: OK, I'm going to be pedantic and I apologise but you may never buy one because the whole business model is changing. This is not just a errr "let's transplant one type of vehicle - personal vehicle - for another mode of personal transit"
We will be....... the most important thing we're working towards here is how can mobility be enhanced.

SM: So the suggestion is it might actually be like and Uber or something like that or an Addison Lee you mention ?

DR: It could be, or it could be a single person lease.

SM: OK, so can I reframe the question. When will I be able to get in to any car - whoever owns it - that can drive on British roads ?

DR: According to Addison Lee and Oxbotica, by the end of this year you will be... there will be a number of vehicles driving around the Borough of Greenwich which will be self driving.

SM: Well that's still exciting, isn't it ?

DR: It's enormously exciting. The most exciting thing is that it does take us towards a much safer future and the UK is right at the vanguard of this movement because of the way we are working together on it.

It'll be interesting to see if the main player's (Addison Lee, Oxbotica, Meridian) vision comes true this year..... or next ?

The full interview - which only lasts four and a half minutes - can be found at the 40 minute mark here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002c2n

Oxbotica: " .........develops the software that makes vehicles autonomous"
https://www.oxbotica.ai/
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Further reading on the Government's position on autonomous cars from their Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (that's an actual Govt Dept ! - who knew that existed ??? :lol: )

"In a strong signal of support for the UK automotive and technology industries, the government has announced today (6 February 2019) that a process is being developed to support the advanced trials of automated vehicles. Advanced trials will not be supported unless they have passed rigorous safety assessments.

In response to feedback from industry, the government has also announced that its world leading code of practice for testing automated vehicles will be strengthened further to set even clearer expectations for safe and responsible trials.

The news reinforces the UK’s status as a global leader in the safe and responsible testing of automated vehicles. With the UK’s market for connected and automated vehicles estimated to be worth £52 billion by 2035, this is a major boost to a sector open to investment from the world’s brightest transport technology companies. It also demonstrates that the government is on track to meet its commitment to have fully self-driving vehicles on UK roads by 2021, as part of the government’s modern Industrial Strategy........"

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... g-vehicles
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You may have seen these autonomous pods at Heathrow(since 2011) or Greenwich.

You may be surprised to know they carry the badge of "Westfield"

Westfield Pod

Pods on Demand

POD (Pods on Demand) are fully autonomous, electrically driven vehicles that seat up to four people in comfort. They have been used at Heathrow Terminal 5 since 2011 and have a reliability record of over 99% - far higher than any bus or rail system.
more often associated with things like this

Westfield Megabusa
Idiotcountry [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Post by Subsonicnat »

All I can say is,,Thank God they are not trialling them in Norfolk.
it will not be long before some plonker decides to disable the sensory system in some form or other.. EXAMPLE,Air Rifle pellet in the right place,brick,catty,the list goes on..
There are a lot of wierd people out there who could cause real mayhem..
KEEP the WHEEL. Hands on like a dead mans handle,NO going to sleep Driving..!!.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A vision of how it might be.......

A very interesting presentation from the BBC of what the future of transportation may well look like.
CAUTION : It shows some images and scenes that some readers might find disturbing. Such as - driverless cars, how private ownership ownership of cars will decline and 'ride hailing' vehicle use will increase, and real life autonomous vehicles going about their business in the world today. You have been warned :wink:
Worth a browse, though :)

http://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/the-d ... -the-move/