Common Scams Section

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Common Scams Section

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would have to say that no computer system connected to the internet is 100% immune - Linux included. Just because the majority of these target Windows-based systems, it does not preclude Linux systems from becoming infected - just harder and require a bit more intervention on the user.

Take executables in emails on Windows systems that only need double-clicking to launch - although if sent to a Linux system in the appropriate format, you would probably asked to put your password in before it is executed. I think complacency is the worst defence....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I find that the built in protection in Widows 10 does all that's needed, I've never had a problem and I'm on the net every day for share dealing, banking, and a multiple of other stuff.
I get the message 'Windows defender scanned your system, no threats were found.' For belt and braces I run Malwarebytes monthly and that also finds nothing.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

doctle wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 11:32 I been using Linux for a few years apart from not being able to use OBD software like Lexia it's great (and free)

Agreed... Been using it (alongside Windows at first) for about twenty years.

Haven't a diagnostic program so no need for Windows.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Yes the enter password part in Linux can give you a little pause for thought. EXE files don't run in Linux anyway. I like the speed on older machines and you could if you really wanted to run Windows software you could use WINE or virtualbox both of which are painfully slow. I am looking at using a Live USB with Windows 8 installed on it to see if I can use diagnostic software on that. Apparently I need a USB3 stick to make it work. Fingers xed
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Oddly enough one of the first sites I visited was the ILUG (Irish Linux User Group).
Absolutely hilarious - and helpful too.
Sadly defunct now.

It was all Beowulf clusters back then.
doctle

Post by doctle »

Was it all top of the morning and begorragh? A couple of times people have asked to use my laptop and they didn't realise it was Linux. Tell people it's Linux they think its complicated and delicate and easily broken. A Morris Marina was a lot easier to work at than a modern Laguna but the Laguna is a superior car. In my view people are still greasing their Marina (using Windows) because it's a little easier and it's not much easier. My wife has a Windows 10 laptop seems to be constantly updating and saying do not power off your computer, my Laguna is flying
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not at all. They were very pleasant, knowledgable, curious, helpful and funny.
Dedicated to creating the hottest curry sauce imaginable :)

I encounter the Linux fear quite often.My kids and my late wife managed to use it without difficulty.

I heard about the fear of it and bought a copy of SuSE Linux expecting it to be a nightmare to install and work with. A very pleasant surprise to discover that it was much easier than Windows. And so much more complete.
I think it was £23 and some of the best money I have spent.

Agreed about older and newer cars in the main with the exception of my Volvo 265GLE and Honda Accord 2.0iLS
Both very good and reasonably easy to work on - not that they needed much, the Honda especially. A radiator and two back boxes, all very quick, easy and cheap.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I did use Linux extensively (Mint mainly) but increasing cognitive impairment has sent me into the arms of Bill's Windows 10...

It's easy, straightforward and does all I need with almost zero hassle... Just what I need.

To be honest, all I ever run now is the Chrome browser and all I need to do is done through there - mainly using Google (Mail, Drive and Photos)...

To use a much hackneyed saying, it does what it says on the tin :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doctle

Post by doctle »

There is an Irish Linux distro called Zorin which can be made to look like Windows 7 or Mac OSX depending on your preferences. I haven't tried it as I never liked Mac and it seems pointless to have something that looks like something I don't like. Probably be fine for people with an old windows 7 machine.
Oh buggle
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

Not a common scam, but a scam all the same. You get what looks like a Royal Mail/other courier "sorry you where out" card through the door with a premium number to call for re delivery of a parcel. I always do a web search of any unknown numbers before I call them.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I have a Mac and run Malwarebytes to keep me free for unwanted spyware and other nasties. I use the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.com
doctle

Post by doctle »

Has this little scam appeared in the UK yet?

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-online ... 6-Apr2019/
Oh buggle
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On Tuesday (11/06) I got an automated phone call from a system purporting to be from HMRC. It then went on to say something like "Right this very second I need you to..." and I hung up. I have reported this to the REAL HM Revenue and Customs. The number is;

020 3870 3868

When I looked it up others have reported that it will go on to say you are under investigation, and/or there may be legal proceedings.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Personally, I never have these problems - which I put down to only 1/2-dozen friends & family having a number for me (& both my landlines are ex-directory). Of course I appreciate that such insularity is not for everyone BUT consider this, how often does anyone actually make/receive a personal call these days?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
doctle

Post by doctle »

I rarely ever get landline calls scammers and cold callers excepted. My phone is ex directory too but the automated diallers sometimes get through usually from India it would seem. The landline is connected to the alarm so only ever have a standing charge bill.
Oh buggle