Citroen Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel 1996

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scropionking
My Cars: Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel

Re: Citroen Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel 1996

Post by scropionking »

Hi thanks Marc,

The question is would I have caused any damage, I am sure I checked the thermostat fitting into the housing as per other pictures and to be honest I can't remember what way I took it out now. Every picture here shows the thermostat fitted in the opposite direction. But funny enough the hot water is still coming through the top hose, so that tells me the thermostat is still opening. Even haynes manual shows the thermostat in the housing opposite to your pictures. And I am sure I did try the other way, but it wouldn't fit. This would be a nasty mistake and it's confusing. How do you upload pictures. Anyway I can only put it right now and hope for the best. Can anyone else shed some light on this please. Hey thanks for that Chris will do all this checking tomorrow. Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks

Kevin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I only had a Series II Xantia Kevin and that was an HDi - and I never needed to mess with her to be honest, so can't help you on this one apart from provide you with the info that I have. But Haynes is notoriously a 'cut & paste' affair seemingly where they replicate anything that looks similar from other models - their wiring diagrams are a testament to this - containing probably less than 5% of the official ones. So I've never put any faith in any of their manuals.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

This is picture I was trying to attatch, shows thermostat in housing. This is not from haynes manual but from the internet
This is picture I was trying to attatch, shows thermostat in housing. This is not from haynes manual but from the internet
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The thermostat is shown the correct way round in the Citroen parts diagram.
It sits in the water outlet (from the engine block) housing, and the copper-steel 'piston' (waxstat) part of the thermostat always points into the hot water trying to get through it. The little opening disc/shutter points towards the radiator, and is the exit side of the 'stat.

To check that the 'stat is doing its stuff, with a cold engine, start up, and use your hand to feel the radiator hose leading away from the thermostat housing. It should stay cold for a good while, even though the engine block (and the cabin heater) are producing decent heat. After maybe 15 mins of running, the 'stat will begin to open, and warmth will emerge through the 'stat. If it gets progressively warm from the word go, then the 'stat is stuck open (or missing!).
Chris
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Thanks Chris I thought I had put it in wrong for a moment, but if you look at Marcs diagrams all of the stats seem to be sitting the other way around. (ie) you can see clearly the triangler bridge peice protruding towards the housing. I know for certain on some Renault engines the thermostat faces the opposite way around spring facing water pump in lower bottom hose. So maybe I've just got another problem somewhere. Well will hopefully sort it out tomorrow if it dosent continue to snow.

Thanks

Kevin
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

van ordinaire wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 23:01 .....eBay
Ebay started off so well when I joined about a decade ago. Feedback was meaningful, you could see what it related to (usually) and the system was simple

...but after, no doubt, a bit of abuse of the system and so called 'Improvements'; the whole feedback system is spectacularly pointless.

A 'crossover' candidate for Room 101 perhaps, ie good things that get meddled with and become mediocre

along with....
webpages that used to be easy to navigate and are now much harder
updated software that requires re-learning a method of doing something that worked just fine before
eBay 'Bait and Switch' listings that waste my time, Grr !
The High Street... hassle to get there, to park, tripping over small children, not finding what I need

Only very rarely use Amazon, usually expensive in comparison.
Puxa
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Right I've ran a check with what Chris said pulled the wire off the blue sensor which stopped the temp gauge from working so that seems OK, but I suppose it still could be giving a false reading.. Next pulled off the wire to brown sensor (Briton) this did exactly what you said it would do and switched both fans on high speed. Reset now by turning off ignition and reataching. So does that say that the coolant temp (Briton) is at fault or does that just prove the fans are working. And does any one know how to test the blue sensor because it only has 1 pin. Top hose is now getting nice and hot, so I think things are looking better. And When I removed old thermostat it was still original one, dated 05 96

thanks

Kevin
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Another update ran some more tests this morning, engine cold and both sensors gauge sensor and coolant temp sensor Briton. The blue sensor which is the gauge sensor measured 8.14K ohms and the brown sensor measured
1.510K ohms. From research it looks like the brown sensor is within limits as most say 1.5 to 2.0 ohms. So that should be ok. But the blue one I have no idea what the range should be cold. Running further tests this afternoon with engine warm to see, as resistance should go down in a stable manner. But does anyone know what the blue sensor should be when cold in ohms.

Thanks

Kevin
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi all,

Another update, checked to see fans coming on with the air con on and yes they are coming on low, but noticed the new radiator leaking down the bottom between core on the right hand side and radiator still cold that side, this is obviously why it is not reaching temperature. My fault really, as I received the radiator damaged, it was advertised brand new but got damaged in transit, had not been packed properly. But I thought it would be OK so took a chance. I also tested the green Engine water temperature switch which did not register any ohms, is this at fault. I would expect it to show something rather than nothing. After even fitting new thermostat the temp was still not going above 80 degrees. Not having much luck with this car at present.

Thanks

Kevin
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Someone with a full Xantia workshop manual might be able to look up the temp sensor resistance-vs-temp values.

If the radiator is leaking, throw it back at the supplier. You could try asking them for a replacement to be sent out first, before you send the other one back. Good luck with that, though - you never know.
Chris
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Checked the Sensors this morning and the green one and blue one are both 1 pin, the brown one is 2 pin. The blue one seems to have a dark blue ring.
Can anyone throw any light on what this green one does, some info I found says this is the light for temp warning, would this be correct. And does anyone have any wiring diagrams for this particular setup.
TTS511.jpg
Thanks

Kevin
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Just another update, found another radiator Ex stock looks in good condition LLanrad, anyone heard of them, I can't seem to find anything on it. And I've decided before I go ahead and buy to do the dreaded head gasket test.
I think it's best, as it could be over pressurising, even though the radiator I put in was damaged. But I believe the system is OK, but I could be wrong. As I've had cars in the past with weak sports and they just start leaking when the engine warms up and gets upto pressure. Tried a pressure test, but with radiator leaking wouldn't pump up. Do you think it will be a fair test even with the radiator leaking, going for a combustion leak tester.

Thanks

Kevin
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Is the pressure test to check the HG? The ideal way if here's no obvious bubbling or oily residue in the header tank is a probe up the exhaust and the same again in the header tank. Easiest way is to ask a local garage who's got the kit although I confirmed a HG leak using a swimming pool PH testing kit. Can't remember to PH values of colours, I just checked to colour in the header tank of the suspect and compared it to a good car (obviously same fuel) and then did the same up the exhaust. It showed in the header tank.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Quick check for a leaking HG (leaking compression) is to crank the engine, but not allow it to fire up . . . disconnect the wire from the engine stop solenoid on the fuel pump, for example.
You should hear each compression stroke as it happens, and they should all sound equal. If one or more 'accelerates' the cranking, then there's a leak from that pot.
Continual bubbles in the cooling system (at the header tank) is one more clue, as is a smell of exhaust there.
Chris