Cloned Car

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Cloned Car

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I still think you're worrying too much about this, if the Dart charge is made by a private company i.e. not the local authority they can do nothing until they obtain a court order.

I certainly wouldn't be lashing out money to change my own car identity.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

When you transfer a number to a vehicle the old number is suspended & if you run a check on it it'll come up "no trace" or something similar.

The fact is you are no longer the registered keeper of a vehicle bearing that number & cannot, therefore, have any reponsibility for it; depending on the wording of the notice you may simply be able to return it.

As for the earlier penalty notices, challenging them on-line seems to be a fairly straightforward procedure except, possibly, evidence that the car was elssewhere at the time. It does seem wrong to me that "they" don't have to prove that it was your car that attracted the charge.

Gibbo - seems the charge is levied by the DfT.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

possible problem with changing reg is it looks like you're trying to avoid it further?
the 'cloned' car must be a similar colour, i'm sure when you pay online it asks for reg, make and colour?
email all and sundry with as much details as possible and 'suggest that the people on site stop the car next time it crosses.' not that that will happen but you never know.

if only they put as much effort into chasing the foreign cars/lorries who don't pay, sure i read somewhere a while ago 200K a month or was it a year?
found something...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-40996859

OP...2 tickets so far on different days?
does he swap plates for different direction journeys maybe? night out over the river?
for future ref: you say your wife has had a stroke, Blue Badge holder? you can apply for free crossings so if you did get cloned again no worries for yourself as they're only paying for it themselves.
Last edited by old'uns on 07 Jan 2019, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Did you sort your's old'uns in the end?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

C5 ? not yet, too cold outside for me, one day :roll:
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

re: dartford crossing Blue Badge holder, i 'think' if your V5c is tax class 'Disabled' then no need to pay the charge on-line, i tried a few years ago and couldn't, emailed them and ANPR automatically logs it.
Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Post by Subsonicnat »

Well,Police phoned today as I had visited them again,Apparently he has phoned on my behalf the scum with cameras,,Told him about changing the REG Plate,Said yes that will throw a wobbly..
The Cloned car will also not only be pulled for the CLONED number but NO TAX and NO INSURANCE.
The Car, MINE. will be on its OWN PLATE, {NEW}..
As the Police check will be on the old plate, it would show it is on STOP for CLONING and then when they check the VIN NUMBER,it will not match with DVLA RECORDS.//Got Ya..
Then,TAX,INSURANCE,MOT.
TOW IT AWAY,AND hopefully CRUSH IT..
By the same token once he is CONVICTED, I Can ask under the freedom of information for HIS ADDRESS.. Watch the papers,or, is he not worth going to prison for life..
Will keep you informed what happens,according to the Police it is a growing crime..
You may want to review this thread some day..{I HOPE NOT}..
OLD-UN,
read further back and edited:
No mate the car is not run as a Badge holder,My wife has one on her car,but not mine.
I don t go anywhere near the said area, not within 100 miles,and don t wish to..
Police have it on STOP CLONED ANYWAY.
Told them my mileage and can view it if I get any more rubbish through the door.
Will not use MY CAR till after number plate change..
Hope he is druggy and gets some time to go with it.. [-o<
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Hmmmm, seems to be working out quite well - although I'm not sure how/why/when the police will become involved, unless the Council/TFL/DfT or whover, notify them.

Assuming you bought the new number on-line, bit surprised you haven't got the plates fitted by now (even if you got THEM on-line, from Jersey, as I do - so much easier, quicker AND cheaper).

Blue badges aren't vehicle specific, they can be used in any that is being used by, or for, the holder.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi Van,
yes it can be used on any car but,as I do not visit the area concerned it isn t applicable.
I did buy the new plate from DVLA, But as of yet no news from them..
They did say about 2 weeks for the document to be sent to me...
Then I have to send my V5 documenat BACK TO THEM,to get the V5 changed to the NEW documents, What a palaver,,,..
I was hoping they would get it to me sooner rather than later.?
as regards the Jersey plate,how the heck can they supply plates for uk cars.??
that would be interesting reading to me and the other guys 9n here,look forward to that mate.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Subsonicnat wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 12:22 Hi Van,
yes it can be used on any car but,as I do not visit the area concerned it isn t applicable.
I did buy the new plate from DVLA, But as of yet no news from them..
They did say about 2 weeks for the document to be sent to me...
Then I have to send my V5 documenat BACK TO THEM,to get the V5 changed to the NEW documents, What a palaver,,,..
I was hoping they would get it to me sooner rather than later.?
as regards the Jersey plate,how the heck can they supply plates for uk cars.??
that would be interesting reading to me and the other guys 9n here,look forward to that mate.

Maybe something to do with a certain car company's policy of supplying free gratis hire cars to the Channel Irelands car hire companies, (two fleets per year) it keeps their car sales figures at the top of the list and they do very little mileage, nowhere to go :) then the Channel Island plates come off and they're re- registered with UK numbers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

My observation about blue badges was a general point, not specifically relating to any Dartford crossing concession to holders.

Last time I bought Nos. from DVLA, I'm sure the documentation arrived within days. The "Cherished Nos" section is a major source of revenue &, as such, tends to act rather quicker than the routine admin. sections. Hope you get your Certificate of Entitlement very soon.

Where the equipment for actually making the plates is located is largely irrelevant, but Jersey plates are essentially the same as ours (or NI, IoM - or Gibralter, for that matter) as to colour, size, font, etc. The p&p is less than the VAT saved, so, for bog standard plates, they work out cheaper & because they will make plates that comply with regulations by which they're not bound, there is no need to provide documentation, just tell them the number & style you want. The big advantage in your situation, is that you can get the plates before you receive the paperwork, all ready to put on, as soon as it drops through the door.

Anyway the firm I go to usually is:-
https://www.myshowplates.com
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi Guys,
Right on an update, NO More Damn letters this week so far,{fingers crossed}.
DVLA produced my entitlement document today,To use my NEW PLATES.

did it ONLINE in minutes,They change the
Tax and MOT to the New Plates, Just change insurance to the New Number.
Actualy COMPLEATED IN 6 DAYS..?.... Not Bad is it..
So had plates made up today useing V750 entitlement document..Driving Licence etc.
All LEGAL AGAIN WHEN PLATES ATTACHED..
You wouldn t want the stress that goes with this crap {cloned plates}.
apparently it is on the rise,I hope mine has gone for good.
IF you SELL YOUR CAR::::::::::::PLEASE,PLEASE, {BLANK OUT YOUR REGISTRATION PLATE}.
COULD SAVE YOUR NEW BUYER A LOT OF GRIEF..
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

HMM.
As I said in another, unrelated thread, I always advise my clients not to waste their time even looking at cars that have the reg obscured in the ad.
Numbers can be cloned by anybody, simply taking a spin around a shopping center car park, looking for the make/model/colour and snapping a pic of the reg.
It's public domain and any time you take your car out of the garage you accept that anyone can, for good or bad, take photo or video pictures of it.
I sympathize with the OP getting tickets for which he was not liable, but the burden of proof is always on the accuser, so if challenged thay will have to look closer at their pictorial evidence, at which point it will almost always become clear that the clone is not the same car.
The thing is to remain calm and let it play out. Knee jerk is rarely the best response
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think that is't more a matter of not advertising your number needlessly. Yes, it's a matter of public record and visually available to anyone on the road, but why give criminals the advantage of not having to go out and do the leg work themselves?

It makes perfect sense especially these days to obscure your registration from any ads so as not to hand it on a plate to any crims. That's why we always mask the VIN numbers - although these are also on public display mostly in the windscreen area, there's no need to make it easy for them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

new reg on..
INSURANCE CHANGED: DVLA Sort The:: MOT : Tax :
So all LEGAL again.
Love to see that Ba******ds face when they pull him.
HOPEFULLY NO More APRC : As the OLD Plate is UNREGISTERED NOW.