Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Obviously in the news today....in the FCF news back in October....
Fairly predictable that diesel sales were going to plummet, and their Land Rover wing didnt even offer a token hybrid powerplant.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 21:34 Anyone come across a Jaguar I-Pace Advert. Not made in UK of course Austria (Magna Steyr in Graz) at the moment.

Meanwhile the UK arm of Tata's JLR flounders, blaming Brexit and a sales meltdown in China and the US, and not quite realising that the writing is on the wall for diesel powered cars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45785229

JLR do have the German Car of the Year 2019 though in the Jaguar I-Pace, its one and only all-electric offering.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 18:54 Autocar reckon its COTY 2019 in Germany.

You would expect nothing less, after all "We are leading the world in the development of electric vehicles" (T.May PMQ's Wednesday November 1st 2017)

But in the world of automobile development and manufacture how British is the Jaguar I-Pace.?

Jaguar has been 100% owned since 2008 by TATA Motors Limited headquartered in Mumbai, an Indian multinational automotive manufacturing company and a member of the Tata Group.

Where is the I-Pace Assembled?

Currently Austria by Magna Steyr in Graz. Highly likely if they haven't started already, to be followed by assembly in China.

Who led the design? The Brits of course!

Ian Callum from Dumfries, Scotland

Where do the components come from?

Obviously these days the bits to make it come from all over the place The Battery/ies come from LG Chem (South Korea)

Would be nice if there was even a slim chance that the UK would get the benefit of the good work of the design team, and conditions were favourable to assembly in the UK.

Meaningless soundbites and no action are unlikely to make that happen.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Jul 2019, 22:20, edited 7 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: JLR

Get your JLR comments in quick....to keep the thread alive before it expires of natural causes, I will probably be adding Ford to the title very shortly, probably closely followed by PSA.....I'll admit I have lost track of what PSA are doing with Vauxhall............unlikely to be pushing for an all-electric corsa. Our little cars in Britain have regulaly topped the sales charts, but have either Ford or PSA (with its Vauxhall hat on) really been planning for the future, or maybe hoping that electric vehicles will somehow disappear from the scene as they did in the early years of motoring.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:49 .....I'll admit I have lost track of what PSA are doing with Vauxhall............unlikely to be pushing for an all-electric corsa.

Well I did admit I had lost track, the e-corsa is on its way.....Frankfurt Motor Show this year, and supposedly on sale in 2020 but orders taken this year.

PSA's PACE plan

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 10:36
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:49 .....I'll admit I have lost track of what PSA are doing with Vauxhall............unlikely to be pushing for an all-electric corsa.

Well I did admit I had lost track, the e-corsa is on its way.....Frankfurt Motor Show this year, and supposedly on sale in 2020 but orders taken this year.

PSA's PACE plan

Regards Neil

There's always a 'but' with this guy no matter how good the news.

Unite general secretary Len McCluskey told the BBC News: 'The investment into Luton is very welcome, but we do expect to hear of similar plans for Ellesmere Port, where the workforce has been just as loyal and is just as deserving of a secure future but continues to live with a cloud hanging over it.'
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:49 .....I'll admit I have lost track of what PSA are doing with Vauxhall............

ermmm...pushing the fact that it's a British brand since 1903 in radio/TV/media adverts :P
and now it seems they're pushing their date of inception as well on their adverts

what more could you possibly want? new designs!!
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:49 Get your JLR comments in quick....to keep the thread alive before it expires of natural causes, I will probably be adding Ford to the title very shortly, probably closely followed by PSA.....I'll admit I have lost track of what PSA are doing with Vauxhall............unlikely to be pushing for an all-electric corsa. Our little cars in Britain have regulaly topped the sales charts, but have either Ford or PSA (with its Vauxhall hat on) really been planning for the future, or maybe hoping that electric vehicles will somehow disappear from the scene as they did in the early years of motoring.

Regards Neil

Heard an advert for Vauxhall on Classic FM a day or two ago:

"Vauxhall - a British Marque since 1912"! - date may be incorrect but so is the rest of it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A British marque from the mid 1800s but not as a car maker, they made pumps and cranes before they turned to car making and were British until the mid 1920s when GM took over.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:49 Our little cars in Britain have regulaly topped the sales charts, but have either Ford or PSA (with its Vauxhall hat on) really been planning for the future, or maybe hoping that electric vehicles will somehow disappear from the scene as they did in the early years of motoring.

They have but how many of them are actually British. The Ka, Corsa and Fiat 500 are all based on the same floorpan.. a Fiat design.. the Ka is actually built *BY FIAT* in their Polish factory..
Last edited by Michel on 11 Jan 2019, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

I think the SMMT report for the 2018 year sits better in this thread, although I have mentioned it in dispatches elsewhere
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2019/01/fall-in- ... s-at-risk/

Might be nice to extend below the top ten, but you probably have to be a paid up member of the SMMT to see it.
Screen shot SMMT report
Screen shot SMMT report
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

MORE thoroughly depressing news!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Re: JLR/Ford

Yes Ford hit the mainstream news today, and the plant most affected likely to be Bridgend, which makes engines for JLR (up to 2019) and Ford Vehicles

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... t-15664529

Bit of positive news if it happens from the Swedes. Not the Chinese Swedes Volvo, but the Swedish Swedes behind a really ugly electric city-car. Hoping for world domination via a fanchising model for manufacturing in many countries across the globe, their plans are set to start in the UK.
Autocar article-Unity One Electric Car production planned for the UK in 2020

Fledgling Swedish electric car company Uniti has announced plans to manufacture its inexpensive city car in the UK. The Uniti One will be first produced at a “pilot plant” operating out of Silverstone Park, part of the famous grand prix circuit, by 2020........
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's a truly horrible looking thing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Not quite as bad as I anticipated, for a city car.
Not sure I get too excited about the proposed "virtual crash" testing. Would that be similar to the virtual flammability tests which the building industry created for cladding, and which the government approved?
The envisaged automated production process is an interesting glimpse of the near-future, which makes the current discussions about Universal Credit look like just a dress rehearsal.
Chris
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 06:36That's a truly horrible looking thing.
As is nearly every electric and hybrid car.

Why?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

JLR/Ford/& an ElectricSwede....so far

I very much welcome "The electric swede" , and part of the disruption to the traditional automaking and selling industries, will be start-ups with the vision tech and ideas. Whereas I will quote T May's "leading the world" claim with a hefty bit of sceptism, the UK does have a strong base in design, innovation and R&D which has clearly tempted this interesting start-up to the UK.

Their plans do seem like they will consume vast amounts of cash before returns are made (just like TESLA then), all a question of persuading investors to back their vision.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey