MyCitroen App - Maintenance and trip records

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WillyR
Donor 2023
My Cars: Peugeot 504 2.0 diesel 1984 (built in South Africa)
Peugeot 505 GTI 1986 (built in South Africa, and brought to Britain 1988)
Citroen XM V6 (UK)
Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 1999 (excellent car but it ate suspension spheres)
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Auto 2001
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 January - engine rattled until replaced. Gave it back at 1600 miles.
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 July - still going strong

MyCitroen App - Maintenance and trip records

Post by WillyR »

Greetings everyone.
My 2015 C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 was originally supplied with the Citroen Multicity facility, which was abandoned by the PSA Group in late 2015, and slowly replaced with the mobile phone MyCitroen App, which works reasonably well, recording vehicle movements, fuel consumption, time, date and distance etc. along with a built in FIND MY CAR function if I park and forget where I parked, providing a walk to the car "satnav" function.

Just recently, the App has been rather erratic, requiring login almost every time I drive anywhere. Either the car, or the App on my Phone, has finally thrown all its toys out of the Pram and destroyed, or lost all my driving data, refusing to log any further driving.

Citroen Customer Care in the UK is exactly NOT that, and I despair of talking to them. The App FAQ says that in the situation I describe above, I should uninstall and reinstall the App, which I have done with no success. The App knows all my car's details but has no "knowledge" of any previous driving data. I installed the App on the wife's phone with no operating difference, so either the Server at PSA Group or the function in my car is faulty.

Any ideas gratefully received and acted on.
2015 (Jul) C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 Exclusive+ now running on 17" wheels - SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND SMOOTH THAN 18" - AND better fuel economy :) =D>
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: MyCitroen App - Maintenance and trip records

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The App, I believe, has no direct connection to your car apart from Bluetooth. It simply uses geolocation services to track your phone which has the app stored on it. As you have to put the VIN in when initially setting up your App it knows then what you have, and secondly, you have to enter the mileage - which is how it then tracks your journeys and trips. Connecting to the car's bluetooth system then allows transfer of mileage fuel and trip info, servicing miles left etc.

If there are issues with the app. it may be down to the phone or the App itself, or a bluetooth communication connection problem. Re-pairing the phone to the vehicle Head Unit may solve it, but it will take a while to start tracking again. I doubt very much it will be a Car issue unless you are having any issues with the odometer or display itself.

I did have a play with this App once but dumped it, as it's basically a tracking device and if you read the privacy and Terms & Conditions, I think you'll find they can pass on all your data as to where you've been and the like to all and sundry - not for me personally, but good luck.

One thing to bear in mind is that often they will update the app and sometimes this can have a negative impact (1 step forward 3 back type of thing), where they create more problems than they solve. As there are multiple phone models (IOS & Android) there will inevitably be problems for some as users are on different versions of the phone's operating system, different physical handsets and of course different versions of the APP, and different bluetooth versions supported.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 January - engine rattled until replaced. Gave it back at 1600 miles.

Post by WillyR »

Thanks for your helpful comments Marc.
The app is definitely connected to the car by Bluetooth - mileage, fuel consumption per trip and journey start/stop timing is totally under control of the car.

I have paired and unpaired multiple times as well as logging IN and OUT multiple times without success since Monday this week when it all went pear-shaped. Prior to then, any Login would fix any forgotten DATA logging. I did try installing the App on the wife's phone today but the problem showed up there as well. When this App was only Pc/Apple functional, it was never reliable. Every time I ever logged in, it worked differently. And so it is with my Android App. It used to have a RESTORE function but that has disappeared in the mists of time.

I followed the App's instructions to uninstall and reinstall the App this morning and that wiped out the App's memory of where the car was last parked (before the logging stopped).

The last time this App was updated, according the Google Play Store was 28-NOV-2018. However, I remember seeing my phone update the App in the last few days, possibly since Monday when it failed, but definitely since Sunday morning when it last worked properly. I have emailed the App provider with no response yet, so I thought hopefully that someone in this illustrious Group might know something about it.
2015 (Jul) C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 Exclusive+ now running on 17" wheels - SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND SMOOTH THAN 18" - AND better fuel economy :) =D>
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If the App has been broken for you in your phones and IOS then I’d keep an eye out on the App reviews for others commenting to see if the same problem is being reported by others.

As so often happens with apps, when there is an issue, one has to wait, often without a functioning app, until they release a bug fix. These days I tend to leave my apps as they are with working versions, and wait for a good few weeks before upgrading them to a newer release, for this very reason, as often you cannot downgrade the app, but are stuck with a non-functioning version until they release an update.

Marc
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

You are absolutely correct Marc. Google Android Play Store is full of complaints about the broken App, to which I have added my tuppence worth of vitriol to the growing list of complaints. Will just have to wait now. I'll be absolutely gutted if I have lost my last three and a half years of driving data. Without the driving DATA (your privacy fears noted) this App is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

Finally, on or around the 20th December 2018 the App has started working again. =D> =D> =D>
The new Fuel Type function doesn't work, even today - 8th Jan '19 - and the historic travel information has gone forever. 3 years of travel data lost.
THANKS A BUNCH PSA. What a way to treat your customers.... [-X [-X [-X
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's unfortunately the case of some apps that don't have a full solution to backup customer data. I did dabble with it years ago and aborted it within a day due to lack of features and it did nothing I couldn't do by other means. For me, being the increasingly more cynical type, I did not want my everyday movements being tracked, so that was enough to put me right off.

It will be one of these fads that rapidly fades into oblivion I suspect, if enough people do not use it.

Marc
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

Caution is a good thing Marc, but I'm not so worried about BigBro or whoever knowing where I've BEEN as I would be about him/her/it knowing where I am ABOUT to go. After all, now that I'm knocking on the big 70 door, my wandering days are over, really.

It was just very good to know what my travelling was costing on a real-rime basis. :clap: :clap:

Doesn't excuse such poor service from PSA at all. The Multicity function that was in my car as a £300 add-on when I bought it was totally useless in the UK but absolutely brilliant in Europe with hold-ups and stopped vehicles accurate to the metre. Here, so few people bothered to report stopped vehicles or hold-ups (the system relied entirely on real-time driver input) that as the distance from Dover grew so the reporting diminished... Then PSA ditched it without warning in early 2016.

When an App supplier breaks it, they have a duty of care to restore it as soon as possible, and do their utmost to help their customers recover lost DATA. PSA (UK) did none of this, spending over two weeks inferring that I didn't know how to use the App after having run it for over 2 years. The number of people on Google Play Store who complained about the problem ran into the hundreds, but did PSA care...?? Not a fig. :?: [-X [-X [-X
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've split the map update element of this topic off into the telematics section, so please continue any posts concerning maps on that thread, thanks. :)

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=61670

Marc
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

Will do. I had a creeping fear that a boundary had been crossed :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We do cross subjects quite frequently - but where there is an obvious divergence it makes sense to split the topics to avoid later confusion - no worries - it happens :-D

Marc