Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Electric Cars Going Forward And Thoughts

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have visions of 'Westworld', where we'll all have to be millionaires to be able to go there for a drive down route 66, stereo blazing, and the wind blowing over you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

On the evidence of recent years, the rich will get rapidly richer, and the poor will struggle. The gap is continuing to grow. As now, I guess some will struggle to leave home, some will be obliged to use public transport, others will jump into a privately hired vehicle, and the elite may have a choice of electric and other fleet to use at will.

In the medium term, vehicle usage may simply be charged for (taxed) by accurately used telemetrics, so vehicle-type, location, time of day, exact chosen route, occupancy and journey purpose can all be taken into account.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Too ‘Big Brother’, that’s akin to everyone having a tracker on them telling the government where you are at any time, where you’ve been, how long for etc. Don’t think that’s a vote winner either!

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Looking backwards for a moment to 2018

The results are in. SMMT like to keep their fingers on the pulse of these things. Making less, selling less, diesel sales plummeting, and the ford fiesta still the top of the tree. Where's the electric fiesta though as the car for the masses? ( er not invented yet i would guess!)

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2019/01/fall-in- ... -at-risk/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 09:52 Too ‘Big Brother’, that’s akin to everyone having a tracker on them telling the government where you are at any time, where you’ve been, how long for etc. Don’t think that’s a vote winner either!
But we have that already, and hardly anyone noticed: it's the mobile/smart phone, and now Amazon Echo. What's more, they've persuaded us to pay for them, in return for some 'free' calls! :shock:
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nah, you still have choices to turn off location services on an app by app basis for that, due to privacy laws.

Add VPN for browsing and that’s also taken care of, and Amazon Echo wouldn’t get its foot in the door )but again that’s a personal choice and not enforced). :)

The prospect of walking down the street where every advertising billboard is electronic and changes to greet and tries to sell you something based on their harvested data profile is quite scary. As seen in the movie ‘Minority Report’ where everyone is recognised by scanning their retinas by cameras everywhere! :shock:

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

At least we still seem to have those options, and are talking about it here (not everyone is).
Worth remembering that most of these devices can be re-activated and used remotely, even if users switch them off.
Depressing stuff.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 10:18 Nah, you still have choices to turn off location services on an app by app basis for that, due to privacy laws.

Add VPN for browsing and that’s also taken care of, and Amazon Echo wouldn’t get its foot in the door )but again that’s a personal choice and not enforced). :)

Either your comments are heavily laden with irony, or you've been living in some remote mountain location for years cut off from civilisation :wink: Tracking a cellphone has been available and used more or less since the invention of the cellphone and is not dependent on having apps on it. The only realistic way not to be tracked with one is not to have one.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They can’t override my smart phone settings, unless I was to reinstall my OS that had default privacy settings. Where I would have to go and switch off anything I didn’t want, but generally my settings stay the same and they cannot overwrite my settings over the air as that would require unsecuring the phone and Apple has not built that in. Remember the notvtoo recent case of them trying to get Apple to break or leave a loophole / back door into phones. They couldn’t and wouldn’t comply with any such order as it would break he security for everyone.

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Subsonicnat wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 21:19 Got me going this one bobin,
I for one am struggling with electric home bills ,Let alone leaving a car on charge with a massive battery all night..
as for previous post on street lighting, There are NON in my road at all for 1 mile either direction,
I still pay for them though,,good ennit.????.

We have (some) street lights but we don't have trains, we do though subsidise the trains through our taxes so that Home Counties people can commute at speed and in comfort to their high paid jobs in the City of London . :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was referring to GPS as Chris mentioned specifically Robin.

Of course I’m aware of the cellular network, but that’s a choice and a phone can be switched off anytime.

Now going for a walk to get out of the bear cave. :)

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The horse has bolted and taken the stable door with it. Tracking by mobile phone and ANPR cameras has long been accepted. Facial recognition trials are well established. Why would the general public suddenly rise up and say they don't want it ? It's accepted technology now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

All I'll say is that there are obvious concerns with they way our data is harvested and used - the EU GDPR that came into force spring 2018 goes some way towards tightening up and protecting citizens rights and how the data is protected and transferred between countries for example. We only have to look at the impact of the Facebook 'Scamdal' lately, Talk Talk, to name a few, but there are security and data breaches all over the place.

I think you will always have the 'Mountain Men' - those who reject any form of officialdom trying to type, tag and catalogue them, and those that are über keen to embrace new technologies at the risk of personal privacy - like those having chips put into their bodies to open their doors, start their cars, log in to various devices etc.

Two extremes, but I must be getting more cynical these days. Probably because I'm aware of the increased collection and use of personal data these days and not for any reason apart from to sell you more stuff that you don't need. That's my off topic but vaguely related bit done for today - back to getting some diagrams up for somebody now. :)

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I fully agree with Marc on this one. People will always want their own cars. I mean the state of some Taxis should be enough to kill the idea of pooled ownership autonomous cars dead :rofl2:

Affording it is another matter though, I mean how many people can't afford to keep a horse now... many. At one point I'm guessing lots of people had one.

All I know is that we won't be the first country to remove private car ownership from the population, so, if it looks like it is going that way there'll be time to flee the country with my (by then very old) C5.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think it's more that the motoring population as a whole are wedded to the fact that they can have access to a car at any point in time.
Trying to track down actual concrete figures is proving difficult, but the ones I have found from the last few years suggest that between 80-90% of new car sales were on finance, and the HUGE majority of those were on PCP - where you don't actually 'own' the vehicle, you just effectively 'rent' it. There's the option to make the balancing payment in the end to own the vehicle, but the overwhelming majority of people roll over onto a new contract and new car. Whether knowingly or unwittingly, a large chunk of the new car 'buying' public in the UK have accepted that they don't or won't own their vehicles, and are happy to - on a technicality - 'rent' someone elses. It's not yer actual car ownership people lust after, it's the kudos / reassurance / ease / other of having a spangly new car on the driveway ready for them when they want it. Now scroll forward 10-20 years - if a bright spangly autonomous car* could arrive on your driveway ready to take you anywhere you desire within a minute of calling it up on your app, what's not to like ?

* Don't know where you get the idea that autonomous cars 10-20 years down the line will be in a state like some modern day taxis, Ed ? That's almost like your viewing the future by comparing it to today 8-[