Engine Repair Needed. Hundreds of faults listed.???? What Could be the cause?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

craigh
My Cars: Citroen DS5 Dsport 2.0 HDi Hybrid 4 x 4

PREVIOUS Cars
Citroen DS4 Dsport 2.0 HDi
Citroen C4 Coupe VTS 2.00 HDI

Engine Repair Needed. Hundreds of faults listed.???? What Could be the cause?

Post by craigh »

Ok the engine fault light came on in the car saying Engine Fault repair needed. This happened about 3 weeks ago and the car is running fine.

Went to garage today and was plunged into the diagnostic machine, came back with approx 100 fault codes, garage tried to erase the faults but they could not erase them.

One thing that i did notice during the last few weeks was it was sometime struggling to start and the garage tested the battery and recommended a new one. Left the garage and got a new battery and fitted.

My question is could the failing battery have caused all these error codes? it is booked into the garage next saturday for them to investigate what could be causing this.

Has anyone come across anything like this before? hundreds of codes and unable to clear. Any help appreciated.

Will upload the fault codes soon

Ok ive uploaded the shared images of the fault report below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DjsYOK ... sp=sharing

Craig - 2012 Citroen DS5 2.0 HDi Hybrid 4 x 4
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Engine Repair Needed. Hundreds of faults listed.???? What Could be the cause?

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums Craig.

Of limited help but yes, the failing battery will most likely be the cause of the majority of recorded faults.

Put your VIN up - it won't be openly displayed - and someone (Marc) will dig up all your car specs and will probably be able to suggest remedial action.

DS5s are rather rare on here yet so there will be limitations in the amount of available information.

Which diagnostic machine did they use on your car?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Engine Repair Needed. Hundreds of faults listed.???? What Could be the cause?

Post by MikeT »

Yes, inadequate voltage causes mayhem with electronics, giving rise to all manner of phantom fault codes. It's typical to clear the codes (after noting them) then drive the car and see what, if any current faults exist.
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

myglaren wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 14:33 Welcome to the forums Craig.

Of limited help but yes, the failing battery will most likely be the cause of the majority of recorded faults.

Put your VIN up - it won't be openly displayed - and someone (Marc) will dig up all your car specs and will probably be able to suggest remedial action.

DS5s are rather rare on here yet so there will be limitations in the amount of available information.

Which diagnostic machine did they use on your car?

Thank you for the welcome to the forum much appreciated.

Ok My vin number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Hope (Marc) can help as the garage where stumped on wht so many and why they could not clear the codes but they had limited time to look at it properly, at this time it did have the failing battery still on the car. I have now fitted a new battery and not sure if this will help to clear the codes?
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

MikeT wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 14:38 Yes, inadequate voltage causes mayhem with electronics, giving rise to all manner of phantom fault codes. It's typical to clear the codes (after noting them) then drive the car and see what, if any current faults exist.

The garage was unable to clear the codes? and with so many were puzzled but they had limited time to look at it properly, it also had the failing battery on the car at the time and i have now fitted a new battery but the car is not booked in to the garage again till this coming Saturday,

All the help is really appreciated.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

craigh wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 17:13
MikeT wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 14:38 Yes, inadequate voltage causes mayhem with electronics, giving rise to all manner of phantom fault codes. It's typical to clear the codes (after noting them) then drive the car and see what, if any current faults exist.

The garage was unable to clear the codes? and with so many were puzzled but they had limited time to look at it properly, it also had the failing battery on the car at the time and i have now fitted a new battery but the car is not booked in to the garage again till this coming Saturday,

All the help is really appreciated.

Yes, again low voltage can cause code clearing to fail.
Hopefully a new battery and more time on it will bear fruit, let us know how it goes.
Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi,
Very interesting to see that many codes.
if i was viewing the said car,I would probably suspect the computor or if it has two computors ,one being BSI....Then the cause could could come from water ingress,
happens to a .lot of cars these days.
there is a firm I sent mine off to,to get it checked,corroded pins.
Came back repaired and just plug and play,They use the exact code when it was installed in the car.
personaly no getting at previous posts but do not think its the battery by all means replace it as said,but that amount of code troubles and NOT Being able to clear them is pointing to the computor side.best of luck my friend,keep us all informed as to the gremlin you seem to have..

PS: Yes my car is French as well.lol.
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

Subsonicnat wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 20:41 Hi,
Very interesting to see that many codes.
if i was viewing the said car,I would probably suspect the computor or if it has two computors ,one being BSI....Then the cause could could come from water ingress,
happens to a .lot of cars these days.
there is a firm I sent mine off to,to get it checked,corroded pins.
Came back repaired and just plug and play,They use the exact code when it was installed in the car.
personaly no getting at previous posts but do not think its the battery by all means replace it as said,but that amount of code troubles and NOT Being able to clear them is pointing to the computor side.best of luck my friend,keep us all informed as to the gremlin you seem to have..

PS: Yes my car is French as well.lol.

Would anyone have any ideas where the main ECU/BSI units are located in the DS5?
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

I would have thought is the ECU/BSi units were faulty the car would not be running correctly? yet it runs and drives fines

Engine performance is good
No engine stalling
Good fuel economy
Car starts everytime
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be that you have an alternator problem which is causing low battery voltage, if you connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running you should get around 14.4 volts, much less and the alternator is suspect.

Peter
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

Peter.N. wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:01 Could be that you have an alternator problem which is causing low battery voltage, if you connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running you should get around 14.4 volts, much less and the alternator is suspect.

Peter

Hi Peter......i noticed a few weeks back it was struggling to start on the cold mornings and did think the battery was on its way, it was then that the "engine repair" message started to appear, garage confirmed at the weekend that the battery was faulty, changed the battery on Saturday and no more struggling to start so i do think the battery was faulty and not the alternator.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Fair enough, might still be worth checking as of course your new battery will have a higher capacity and stay charged longer.

Peter
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

*****UPDATE******

Ok car went back to garage today with a new battery on and further investigation of the faults.

The garage has cleared all the faults now with only one outstanding which they cannot cleare, the code is listed as B1003 "Configuration Fault"

The car is still showing the following message on startup "Engine Fault repair needed" and service light stops illuminated.

Any help with the B1003 code would be helpful as cannot find any information regarding the cause of the fault.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I believe it relates to the Parking Assist ECU.
craigh

PREVIOUS Cars

Post by craigh »

MikeT wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 13:16 I believe it relates to the Parking Assist ECU.

Hi Mike....thanks for that, the garage could only tell me that is was coming up with "B1003 configuration fault"

The only parking assist feature the car has is front and rear sensors and also rear view camera.