C5 Mk1 Rear Wiper Replacement Motor Not Working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

J.T.Fox

C5 Mk1 Rear Wiper Replacement Motor Not Working

Post by J.T.Fox »

Greetings to all,
I have a 2003 C5 Estate I have replaced the rear wiper motor after the previous unit seized.

Alas this hasn't cured the problem as their is a 12v supply on the thin grey cable but no supply on the thick grey cable.

a
any ideas please?

Many thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 Mk1 Rear Wiper Replacement Motor Not Working

Post by Paul-R »

Quite probably the wire is broken in the flexible section of the loom that goes between the tailgate and the bodyshell. It's quite well known that after a certain number of openings and closings of the tailgate the wires eventually fracture.

The cure is either replacement of the loom or, if you have the capability, cut a section out and renew the wire where it flexes. Don't just solder where it's broken as this is the weak spot and solder is not at all flexible.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
J.T.Fox

Post by J.T.Fox »

Many thanks for the advice Paul.

I'll trace the cable over the weekend.
citro6hydra
My Cars: C5 2006 2.0l petrol auto
C5 2007 HDI auto
C5 2006 HDI
C5 2006 HDI bought damaged under repair

Post by citro6hydra »

Hi, The suggestion that a cable break is responsible is almost certainly correct. There are from memory three wires to the unit, one of these has 12v on all the time and again from memory this provides power for the return to park position, the other supplies power to operate the wiper unit as required.

The third wire on pin three which I think is yellow or yellow grey? is the earth return and should read 0v with the wiper motor fitted and switched on. If not then you have an open earth return, but if it is 0v then it looks as though the second grey wire is open circuit. Also for the repair select any adequate cable current wise but take the one with the thinnest individual conductors. I use a cable called super flex but I don't know of availability in UK. The repair although a fiddly is not all that difficult.
Hope this assists, please post your fix.