Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by CitroJim »

Some absolutely cracking pictures here of London's East End dating from the 1960s...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43141667

Some great cars to be seen in almost all of them... Enjoy :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Excellent Jim, you are as of this moment on 999 likes!

I have really enjoyed my new "Roadscapes II" book with Alan Spilletts lorry paintings in, and its led on to me discovering Mike Jeffries whose breath and scope of work is just stunning.

This one here has special interest for both Somersetians and Cornwallians. I dont have to tell you what hill the lorry is ascending surely.

But the lorry is one of a hundred or so of that marque put together in Cornwall. It is appropriately a Rowe Hillmaster.

https://pixels.com/featured/rowe-hillma ... fries.html

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 21:31 But the lorry is one of a hundred or so of that marque put together in Cornwall. It is appropriately a Rowe Hillmaster.

What a gorgeous picture of the Hillmaster :D I have so enjoyed all the ones you've posted recently Neil and in doing so I've discovered a love of old lorries I never knew I had :D

Here's to some cracking POTDs in 2019 :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 21:31 But the lorry is one of a hundred or so of that marque put together in Cornwall. It is appropriately a Rowe Hillmaster.

And I've just noticed the lorry is wearing a Somerset registration - 414 HYD :D That really has made my day!!!

Makes me wonder now where that lorry was - it looks to me very much like the A39 between Porlock and Lynmouth - has it just climbed Porlock Hill?

I briefly looked into Arthur R Duckett - the company the lorry belonged to - and discover they are based in Highbridge, Somerset and the eponymous Arthur R Ducket passed away in 2019...

Maybe the scene is nearer to Weston-Super-Mare or Burnham On Sea? Loving the pre-Worboys signage in the picture too :)

Furthermore, Corgi did a model of one of Duckett's lorries :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corgi-1-50-G ... 2196082648

Loving this thread even more now 💛
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

There's only one fearsome hill in Somerset Jim.............Porlock :-D

That site Pixels has 325 Paintings from Mike Jefferies of mostly Lorries but also Buses/Locomotives/Cars/Ships and Planes. Each one has an interesting short description with it if you click on the word more next to the description on the right.

So for the Porlock Hill one you get
The Rowe Hillmaster manufactured in Cornwall was a rare beast indeed only about 120 being made but a fine lorry for all that.

Aurthur Ducket bought two of them for his haulage business in the late 1950's and Alstone Princess was his second, fitted with the Perkins 6,354 engine, six speed gearbox and carried a 16ft wooden body capable of 10-11 ton loads.

Seen here on the fearsome Porlock Hill in Somerset it is about to be overtaken by an Austin Cambridge pick-up on a summer's day in 1960.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! My eyes did not deceive me on the view from the top of Porlock Hill :D

That poor lorry must have had a heck of a struggle up there fully loaded!
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Another one from Mike Jeffries - possibly one for the electric vehicle spotting thread :wink:
A lovely old battery powered dustcart from Brum Corporation :)

https://pixels.com/featured/morrison-du ... fries.html
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

The full text of the description when you click more” is worth a read. Nice bit of observational sarcasm :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

CitroJim wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 17:33 Excellent! My eyes did not deceive me on the view from the top of Porlock Hill :D

& that A55 (they were never Cambridge) pick-up's ambitious manoevre almost re-defines supreme optimism - how long do you reckon the exercise took?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Anyone been to Fort William?

I have many times.....never noticed this though, and never knew the story. You wouldn't think it was possible. I have posted up a video of a Austin 8 being put through its paces on some incredible tracks in the Lake District, but can you really drive a car to the top of Ben Nevis?

The Bronze Ford, Fort William

© Copyright Jim Barton and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 23:21
CitroJim wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 17:33 Excellent! My eyes did not deceive me on the view from the top of Porlock Hill :D

& that A55 (they were never Cambridge) pick-up's ambitious manoevre almost re-defines supreme optimism - how long do you reckon the exercise took?

:lol: Traffic was light in those days Neil and the sight-lines for overtaking along that stretch are quite good as I remember... And if that A55 (nope, definitely never a Cambridge!) was empty it would have been fairly nippy!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The A40 Cambridge (shape) was the rare one, similar shape to the A55 but with a smaller rear window and 1200 cc engine. They only made them for about a year, don't see many now, I learnt to drive in its predecessor and A40 Somerset (van) and it was nearly new then.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just watched the Austin 8 video! Loved the clipped 1939 commentary (shades of Brief Encounter), but was also mildly horrified at the speed with which the little car took rugged, narrow and village lanes . . . until it became rapidly obvious that most of the footage had been speeded up! 18fps projected at 24? Surely not.

Bearing in mind the quality of tyres and springs of the day, no way did such a car complete the route unscathed - but a lovely film for all that.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Picture(s) of the day.... new law mower.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Today's latest addition to my neighbours garden.
Attachments
IMGP1776.JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day.... new law mower.

Gibbo2286 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 15:47 Today's latest addition to my neighbours garden.

Seems you have a problem with sheep down your way :!:
Baaaaaan sheep-running! Calls for. crackdown on 'ridiculous' Forest of Dean tradition costing taxpayers thousands each year

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey