AM6 transmission economy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

AM6 transmission economy

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Zelandeth wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 12:34 One thing I've come across on some ZF 'boxes on commercial vehicles is a feature where they drop into neutral whenever the vehicle is stationary - sure that equates to quite a big fuel saving on a big vehicle like a coach - but I imagine it could help a lot in a car too. I've no huge experience with modern autos in cars, but wouldn't be surprised if that feature had been implemented on cars too. That I imagine would close a lot of the economy gap.
My Aisin 6 speed Autobox on the Vectra AF40-6 (AKA...TF-80SC and AM6 in PSA Vehicles) does just that, so I presume that transmission as fitted to Citroens et al does the same.

Regards Neil

PS if you haven't seen the new whatsthisthen? your expertese could well get the answer straight away.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Just how "bad" is the EGS Gearbox?

Post by EDC5 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 13:04
Zelandeth wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 12:34 One thing I've come across on some ZF 'boxes on commercial vehicles is a feature where they drop into neutral whenever the vehicle is stationary - sure that equates to quite a big fuel saving on a big vehicle like a coach - but I imagine it could help a lot in a car too. I've no huge experience with modern autos in cars, but wouldn't be surprised if that feature had been implemented on cars too. That I imagine would close a lot of the economy gap.
My Aisin 6 speed Autobox on the Vectra AF40-6 (AKA...TF-80SC and AM6 in PSA Vehicles) does just that, so I presume that transmission as fitted to Citroens et al does the same.

Regards Neil

PS if you haven't seen the new whatsthisthen? your expertese could well get the answer straight away.

Interesting you should mention this. I too have noticed that the Aisin tf80 has this feature. However in Lexia this feature is turned off (at least on my car) I've been tempted to turn it on but never have because it may have been disabled for a reason.

But yes the torque converter does drag a lot when stationary as when I manually shift into N the engine stops labouring.

Still I'd wager that the drag from creeping/stationary is much better on the wallet than a EGS destroying a clutch and needing a £2k rebuild or something :lol:
talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

Post by talbotsteve »

Just a question really, I have a 2008 Picasso Lounge, so it is the 2.0hdi with torque convertor, does anyone else have the Auto box on the 2.0 hdi? my MPG is attrocious, sub 30 mpg.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Which box do you have? the AM6 or the AL4? A VIN will help.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

talbotsteve wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 15:55 Just a question really, I have a 2008 Picasso Lounge, so it is the 2.0hdi with torque convertor, does anyone else have the Auto box on the 2.0 hdi? my MPG is attrocious, sub 30 mpg.

Surely not? I could get 33mpg out of a 2.0 petrol C8 auto!
talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

Post by talbotsteve »

Michel wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 21:14
talbotsteve wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 15:55 Just a question really, I have a 2008 Picasso Lounge, so it is the 2.0hdi with torque convertor, does anyone else have the Auto box on the 2.0 hdi? my MPG is attrocious, sub 30 mpg.

Surely not? I could get 33mpg out of a 2.0 petrol C8 auto!

29.4 on my last 2 runs to work, rural roads, 22 miles each way.
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 17:11 Which box do you have? the AM6 or the AL4? A VIN will help.

Will have a look tomorrow Marc.
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

My Vin code is, VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Another question is, how hard would it be to convert to manual? I'm guessing Clutch, Flywheel, Gearbox, Peddle assembly, Clutch cable.
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

Had a run out the other day, got 32.7 mpg on the motorway.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I’m averaging 42mpg and most of my driving is going a 6 mile to work and 6 mile back journey. I’ve started using premium Costco fuel.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

talbotsteve wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 15:44 My Vin code is, VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Another question is, how hard would it be to convert to manual? I'm guessing Clutch, Flywheel, Gearbox, Peddle assembly, Clutch cable.
Ok, I think you had an extra '1' in the VIN, so having corrected that, then here's the good news - you have a fully automatic AM6 box! =D>

C4 PICASSO FAMILY SALOON 2.0 HDi 138 particle emission filter 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

So knock yourself out, as these are not the dreaded EGS. They are a proper automatic with a torque converter and are very reliable - just change the gearbox oil and ignore the 'sealed for life' claims by the manufacturer :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

So poor fuel economy is just down to it being a fully automatic gearbox then?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

talbotsteve wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 22:14 So poor fuel economy is just down to it being a fully automatic gearbox then?

Probably not, with the same transmission on a petrol turbo engine, I would get better than 40MPG on a decent run, even around town with lots of hill work I get 30 MPG.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

When my 407 hdi was working even it got better consumption than that with that gearbox connected to a 2.7 v6 hdi. It does seem a bit heavy for a 2.0 picasso.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I’d say driving style has more to do with mpg than most things. Driving to a red light then braking uses up more fuel. Fast acceleration uses loads of fuel, tyre pressure. A change of driving style can save a fair amount of money. That’s not to say something faulty isn’t causing bad consumption.