Relay 2.2 hdi. Recoding after cat replacement?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Willpo99
My Cars: Citroen relay

Relay 2.2 hdi. Recoding after cat replacement?

Post by Willpo99 »

2012 Relay 2.2 HDI
Hi.
Ive been having a major headache with my relay. It had an egr cooler fail and drowned the engine. Had the engine stripped and rebuilt and since then, its not run properly. Ticks over fine but turbo will not boost.
Been to Citroen who diagnosed turbo fault. Had turbo rebuilt, no difference. Turbo retested and came back 100% so can't understand the turbo fault diagnosis.
Had whole induction pressure tested, no leaks.
DPF removed, no difference
Had new cat fitted last week, no difference.

Question is, does the new cat need coding at Citroen? My garage says it doesn't but im sure I've read somewhere that i would. They are reluctant to take it back to local Citroen workshop as they obviously got it wrong with the turbo which ended up costing me £500 for the rebuilt turbo that i didn't need.

Ive spent 2600 on this bleeding van so far having everything stripped and rebuilt, admittedly, I asked for a few maintenance jobs to be done while engine was out - clutch, water pump etc so not all on the initial repair but I'm no nearer to getting it back and its costing me dearly in other ways now.

Any ideas no matter how small would be gratefully received.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Relay 2.2 hdi. Recoding after cat replacement?

Post by admiral51 »

If you have had the turbo tested/rebuilt and no vacuum leaks then has the turbo pressure vacuum solenoid valve been checked, not so much for leaks but that the vacuum pipes have been put back in the correct place, put them back wrong and the turbo will not get a vacuum and will not boost but testing the pipes will show no leaks.
Can you get a printout of any fault codes generated?
Willpo99

Post by Willpo99 »

The "electronics" on the turbo have all been tested and show no faults. Its been off and back on 3 times now so I would hope they would have noticed by now if it was reconnected incorrectly but who knows. Anything is possible with this bleeding thing!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Without having access to the detailed results of diagnostics, all we can do here is make hypotheses and guesses which could cost you more money if they are wrong.

If I were diagnosing this, I would want the exact error codes, also the live data for requested and measured turbo boost, and the measured vacuum at the boost control actuator.
Bick

Post by Bick »

The cat does not need coding and that is as far as i can help as xantia_v6 is right codes are partly what is needed. I would also be going though what work has already been done.
Willpo99

Post by Willpo99 »

admiral51 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 21:15 If you have had the turbo tested/rebuilt and no vacuum leaks then has the turbo pressure vacuum solenoid valve been checked, not so much for leaks but that the vacuum pipes have been put back in the correct place, put them back wrong and the turbo will not get a vacuum and will not boost but testing the pipes will show no leaks.
Can you get a printout of any fault codes generated?

According to the garage, there are no fault codes. This is the main reason they are having such difficulty. When it went to Citroen, there were lots but they worked through them and cleared them as they were from when the engine was removed (apparently). I don't know what the actual fault code was that made Citroen diagnose a turbo fault but whatever it was it was wrong. All i know was they said it "didn't meet manufacturers parameters" but according to the company that rebuilt the turbo, it actually exceeded them.