Buying c4 grand Picasso what to look for?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Frodoisdead
My Cars: Citroen C5 Eatate 2006 2.0 diesel

Buying c4 grand Picasso what to look for?

Post by Frodoisdead »

Looking for c4 grand picasso but funds are limited. What should i beware of? Looking in to diesel 1.6 automatic (sorry, don’t like manuals). What is the resource of such car’s engine and gearbox (don’t want a time bomb)?.
Need reliable and cheap to run in the UK vehicle (family of five with 3 little kids). What would you suggest and what is the mileage limit I shouldn’t go over while looking for one? Many thanks
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Buying c4 grand Picasso what to look for?

Post by EDC5 »

Unfortunately, all of the auto 1.6 diesel autos come with the dreaded EGS automated gearbox. It is not a byword for reliability. There have been a few posts on here about issues with that gearbox recently.

I suspect the 2.0 might come with the conventional torque converter automatic which (touch wood) has been reliable in my C5 so far.
Frodoisdead
My Cars: Citroen C5 Eatate 2006 2.0 diesel

Post by Frodoisdead »

I have c5 2.0 diesel estate 2006, but was thinking of something newer because of age (and it’s mint condition), but also has 113k miles. So just worried if something could go wrong with it and it will be kaput. So you don’t recommend newer Picasso instead?
If not what would you recommend as next swap? Main priorities: low cost to buy, low cost to run, reliability, high mpg, low UK car tax. Or should i just stick with C5 and well maintain? Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it has EGS - do avoid like the plague!

It is basically a manual gearbox and clutch, where the gears and clutch operations are changed for you (piloted) by electro-hydraulics and a very complicated and expensive system to maintain and repair because of all this. Especially on the second hand market where (unless you are aware it has been changed) expect to be billed about 9-10 hours labour to do as I believe the engine and gearbox has to come out.... then there is the actual clutch cost of course...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

What’s wrong with the C5? I’ve had a couple of Grand Picassos and I don’t rate them at all. Too big, and too small inside for the external space. If you have all 7 seats you’ll have no boot space. With 5 seats, there’s not really much more room than in a C5 estate. If you want a 1.6HDi auto, quite honestly you might as well just burn a wallet full of cash and keep the C5, as a high miler 1.6HDi *will* break and it *won’t* be cheap. I also found the interiors of the Grand Picasso nice, but made out of cheap and not hard wearing materials. My last was 10 years old, 124k and pretty rough considering.

Try a VW Touran with the 2.0 TD. The reason I say this is I bought a Skoda Octavia with the same engine, 2008 car, 175k miles, and it drives superbly. Not only that, the interior is like new, and it was a family car, not a repmobile or taxi. Ok, I’ve needed to put a new boost hose on it (£44) and pump the tyres up and fill the washers a couple of times since I bought it 3200 miles ago but absolutely nothing else.

It makes me a bit sad really, I love my Citroens but that era (2007-on) really fell behind on build quality in my experience.

Best family car ever, but they don’t do an auto sadly 2003-2008 Berlingo Multispace HDi with air con. MASSIVE inside, short as a car, cheap to run and reliable. Did 90k over 7 years in mine and wish I’d never sold it.