2006 1.6 HDi Xsara Picasso - starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Skayne
My Cars: Citroen Picasso Xsara 1.6L HDI

2006 1.6 HDi Xsara Picasso - starter motor

Post by Skayne »

I have a 2006 1.6HDi version which needs a new starter and have struggled with removing it. I have managed to get to 2 of the bolts from underneath. A friend removed brake reservoir and a few pipes and was able to get at the 3rd bolt however he can't get it out. Can you give me any advice on what I need to remove to get at it and put in the replacement please?

Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2006 1.6 HDi Xsara Picasso - starter motor

Post by RichardW »

Welcome!

I had 3 goes at changing the starter on my 307 1.6 HDi, but failed. Presumably the bolt you can't get at is the one on the top behind the solenoid? I reckoned that if you have an allen extension of the right length then it should be possible the slip it along the top of the starter behind the solenoid and get on the bolt, then undo it with a ratchet. If you can reach in past the exhaust then you can get a finger on the bolt to guide the bit in. I was thinking that removing the exhaust would help a lot....!
Richard W
Skayne

Post by Skayne »

Thanks Richard. Wasn't third time lucky then eh!
That third bolt is the one behind the solenoid. My friend got to it from the top and loosened it off but couldn't physically get the starter out. I guess the exhaust is in the way from underneath. He thought I should remove the bottom engine mount and then try and shimmy it out from the top...

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

The 1.6hdi engine has many wonderful designs to make life difficult, the starter is one of them. The cable trunking is secured around on top of the starter and is a real pain to move. I've never physically removed one from the car, I normally just undo them to remove the gearbox, I imagine removing the bottom section of exhaust would make life easier and enable you to get it out from underneath
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

We take out the bolt from the lower engine mount & lever the engine with a large bar.
This usually creates a gap big enough to extract..
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Skayne

Post by Skayne »

Thank you Lighty and Flying Clutchman for your comments. I had success with the lower engine mount option -2 man job but worked a treat. That 3rd bolt was nasty - had to get at it from the top with the brake reservoir and some plastic pipes removed. No more push starting! Let's hope that 2nd hand starter lasts a while...
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well done.
Citroen and sometimes Renault have often appeared to build their cars around the starter, but nowadays that's becoming quite a fashion among car manufacturers. Bmw 318s and Merc A classes are fun...
With the demands imposed by stop-start technology, starters are likely to need to come off much more often.
Lets see do they start putting them at the front, with nothing blocking access. Won't be holding my breath, though.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i odnt know how similar the picasso is to the belingo/partner engine bay, But for removing it i found out the top left corner as you look at the engine was the easiest option, wouldnt fit between the engine and subframe, wouldnt fit down the side the exhaust tunnel,
i too had issues with no3 bolt, a lot of searching pre doing it and suggested some were only 2, so checking the replacement which only had 2, i only undid 2, managed to get the old one off, was only when i compared it to the new one i saw it was completely different and had a fresh alloy break in it! clambered underneath again and there was a chunk of starter attached still! :-O
i thought doing one on the old 1.9 gti and 16v ones were a pain! hahah!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor