Berlingo diesel VTR with the wrong engine in.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Berlingo diesel VTR with the wrong engine in.

Post by myglaren »

The VIN is also on your V5.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are other locations where you can find the VIN. If you pop open the bonnet you will see (usually in the offside wing) in the channel the VIN stamped into the metalwork. It can also (on some cars; my C5 estate has it) somewhere under the rear passenger seat (on the C5 you flip the 'seat' vertical (not the upright part) and there is a plate with the VIN and other details on it).

When you post the VIN in the main forum it will be obscured, but the Moderators can still read it. However, if it is in a Private Message it is obscured in a way NOBODY can read it.

The reason the VIN is required is very simple. As we all know a car (when new) can be built with optional extras. For example, a C5 Mk1 VTR has the ability to have cruise control added, but it is not a standard item. Two C5 VTRs, built one after the other, may have a lot in common, but one might be the base VTR, while the other has a few customer options added. The VIN (to those people who have access to the Citroen Service system) will tell them EXACTLY what the car had when she came out of the factory. This is why Moderators have asked for it, as they DO want to help you. They have also added (within the last year or so) the security function to prevent lesser forum members (or just people visiting the forum) from reading that VIN, and possibly making unsavoury use of that information.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 09 Dec 2018, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

pjbw wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 18:28 Marc,
Everybody else knows that I am referring to the car as a VTR, not the engine.
Are you English? Read the January 2014 brochure.
Might it have helped you if my topic had been titled 'Berlingo VTR with the wrong diesel engine in' ?

Handy Tip : being rude to one of the most polite, helpful and knowledgeable chaps on the forum, who uses his own time to be a moderator and goes to great lengths to help others with issues isn't the way to get help on here.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

If you have a compressor a sharp blow of air will sift them, failing that something like a putty knife will easily get to them and move them, generally old pay and display tickets! ;-) I normally use a bicycle spoke as I have hundreds of the things about! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
pjbw
My Cars: Peugeot 304. Uncomfortable, noisy, terminally unreliable.
Renault Clio. Comfortable, quiet, fairly reliable.
Citroen Berlingo 1.9D. Very comfortable, very quiet, completely reliable. "How you say in English; over-engineered?".
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, steering fault - car replaced. Under-engineered.
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, reliable. Under-engineered chassis. Superb wrong engine fitted.

Post by pjbw »

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Thank you. I have been getting a bit uptight what with my inability to provide the data needed to have my questions answered.
No sign of a VIN anywhere else that I can see on my Berlingo. Because of the window under the windscreen being obscured there may be doubts about the validity/relevance of the VIN and engine number on the V5C and I don't want to raise any more hares!
Putting on my Sherlock Holmes jacket, what is written on the top piece of paper obscuring the VIN is leading me to contact the dealer. A long way away so I may or may not be back onto the forum.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Info. here.
Attachments
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.12.10_13h02m40s_002_.png
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Insults aside, I'll try again with another suggestion:

The only reason paper or some other material would of been placed there is to deliberately obscure or completely hide the official VIN - and to do that would require getting behind the dashboard. So on the face of it I would suggest that it has been hidden for a reason, unless the engine has been replaced at some time and whoever did it did not want the old VIN showing.

I really don't see the point of doing that though - because the VIN provides a lot more than just the engine fitted, so would still be relevant to the vehicle and all the options and equipment it was fitted with.

The V5 log book can be changed legally by providing the following evidence:
  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)
If you have your reg number I can determine the VIN from that, and from there I can provide you with a printout of the VIN so you can at least compare features of your car and equipment against what the VIN for the registration says should be there.

Whatever the case, if it was me, I would want to know what I had bought and its history.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
pjbw
Citroen Berlingo 1.9D. Very comfortable, very quiet, completely reliable. "How you say in English; over-engineered?".
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, steering fault - car replaced. Under-engineered.
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, reliable. Under-engineered chassis. Superb wrong engine fitted.

Post by pjbw »

Gibbo2286
Withdrawal symptoms!. That is the small Berlingo model before being superseded by the bigger current one, the VT, VTR, XTR variants.
My 2003 one with the (rather lazy) 1.9D diesel was the nicest car I have ever owned. 10 years, 144,000 miles. It let me down once when the missus put petrol in it! see 'My Cars'.
I was a volunteer diver for the local Social Care Trust and it was beginning to look a bit scruffy so I traded it for the bigger one assuming that some of its 'over-engineering' might be repeated.
I had got into a conversation with a co-owner in a French hotel car park on my way to Friedrichshafen in the little Berlingo. He said that in the late nineties Citroen were worried about the popularity of the Renault Kangoo and needed to compete. He said that they did not have a car to base it on and so they designed the Berlingo from scratch.
I think that they must have delegated this to someone who worked in the heyday of comfortable French cars: Citroen DS, Renault 16. Certainly after 10 years my one was as 'tight' as new. I know of owners of cars and vans with more than 250,000 miles up. I should never have sold it, just had it tidied up.
Then tragedy: Shortly after I bought my first VTR in 2013 I realised that it did not begin to compare with the small one it had replaced, except for the 'wrong' engine in my second VTR. Then I passed a Citroen shop in the Republic of Ireland and saw some new small ones. The manager said that what had happened was that Citroen UK were left with a number of unsold small ones when the bigger one was introduced and so these small ones were offloaded to the RoI.
If only I had known!
pjbw

Post by pjbw »

GiveMeABreak
Thank you for persevering with me, I wrote this earlier today:
[Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Thank you. I have been getting a bit uptight what with my inability to provide the data needed to have my questions answered.
No sign of a VIN anywhere else that I can see on my Berlingo. Because of the window under the windscreen being obscured there may be doubts about the validity/relevance of the VIN and engine number on the V5C and I don't want to raise any more hares!
Putting on my Sherlock Holmes jacket, what is written on the top piece of paper obscuring the VIN is leading me to contact the dealer. A long way away so I may or may not be back onto the forum.]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, there’s need to repeat the post, it’s there for all to see.

In the absence of any further info that has been repeatedly asked for to try and resolve the matter, there is little point in trying to pursue it further. Do create a new post if you have a new issue, but this thread is being locked and moved out of the technical forum as it is serving no further purpose.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc