Berlingo diesel VTR with the wrong engine in.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Berlingo diesel VTR with the wrong engine in.

Post by van ordinaire »

I think he only drives it like he stole it!

furriegurrie's idea is a good one as, the object is to identify the engine, which seems unlikely to be the one it came off the production line with.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
jbbu
My Cars: 2008 C5 (X7) Tourer VTR+ 2.0 HDi

Post by jbbu »

One other comment here -- OP states he's checked the speedo by way of comparison to marker posts on a motorway. However, our UK motorway "mile" markers are actually placed every 100 metres, so one needs to count 16 markers to get (approximately) one mile. Perhaps an avenue of thought to consider?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Do they still have mile markers? I don't recall seeing one in years. Must look out for some.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Police often have a "measured mile" available somewhere in their area. Special white marks on the tarmac are the most common, but one on the A24 just south of Horsham/Broadbridge Heath simply consisted of a pair of white posts at the roadside, on a straightish stretch of dual carriageway. It used to be the case that if you asked where you m.m. was, the info would be provided, as it is a legal requirement for drivers to maintain an accurate speedometer. Mind you, the trains used to run on time, back then. :cry:

Editor's note:
On this thread, we seem to be needing all the diverting entertainment we can get, while we wait for the main act to arrive...
Chris
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Smartphones should give accurate speed readings, removes the need to be distracted on making mental notes and arithmetic while driving. Just a thought.
pjbw
My Cars: Peugeot 304. Uncomfortable, noisy, terminally unreliable.
Renault Clio. Comfortable, quiet, fairly reliable.
Citroen Berlingo 1.9D. Very comfortable, very quiet, completely reliable. "How you say in English; over-engineered?".
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, steering fault - car replaced. Under-engineered.
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, reliable. Under-engineered chassis. Superb wrong engine fitted.

Post by pjbw »

jbbu,
I wasn't born yesterday!
Also checked between the kilometer posts in the RoI.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right, from looking at some other posts you have made on some other Fora, I can see that from the VIN you published from one of those sites (which had an incorrect character) that for one of your Berlingos, it is just a bog standard 1.6 HDi 75 (DV6ETED4) Euro 5 engine. That is, as it left the factory of course.

So for a 2013 vehicle, I couldn't think why the engine was replaced as I think you might be trying to say, short of a total failure in years 4 or 5 after the warranty ran out.

So that brings us back to the main thrust of the issue. If you are saying that the engine has been replaced, and you do have the engine VIN for the replacement, then please do post it here so that we can determine what it is and look at its specs as compared with the original engine that was factory fitted.

As we've stated already, the VIN is masked automatically here, so I can't see a problem, as we're only interested in determining what engine you think you have in there. Once we have ascertained that, we can perhaps comment further on whether it is suitable for that vehicle. or was ever an option.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i was randomly thinking about this on the way up to pops yesterday in our Berlingo (wife driving), i have seen advertised a map for the 1.6hdi that with the egr delete and some other bits - not a quick job- that it can be mapped to 143bhp! which is a little excessive in such a wagon possibly, But, if the previous owner has played a little and perhaps had a larger turbo fitted or hybrid turbo, mapped to suit and some other bits and bobs then quite probably be a bit of a rocket ship! i would think though, you would need a good clutch to run such!!??
my brother has a picasso hdi with 1.6 lump in, and reports in the wet in second on Full boost acceleration it will break traction and invoke Torque steer mode (with good tyres), ive not done a vin check on it to see what it had new, but he had reason to believe it may have been mapped??
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
pjbw
Citroen Berlingo 1.9D. Very comfortable, very quiet, completely reliable. "How you say in English; over-engineered?".
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, steering fault - car replaced. Under-engineered.
Citroen Berlingo VTR. Uncomfortable, quiet, reliable. Under-engineered chassis. Superb wrong engine fitted.

Post by pjbw »

Hi Timmo,
I haven't even breathed on my VTR's engine since I got the car new, not used. From my experience (see CV in header post) I reckon there is coming on double the power of my previous VTR (68 -> 140Kw ?). Noticing the bigger turbocharger makes me think it was beyond re-mapping - that 95mph was when the car was new, before its first service.
Unfortunately the very powerful engine is seriously let down by the awful chassis (maybe for the best !). On both cars the 'semi-deformable transverse beam' at the rear became un-deformable after about 2000 miles with neck-snapping lateral jerks on bad roads. Probably a cheap and nasty solution to force the now obligatory modern understeer. (see My Cars: my superb little 2003 Berlingo 1.9D had exact neutral steer - only halfway through its third set of tyres when sold at 144,000 miles. I noticed that later models had pronounced rear wheel camber). A major rebuild of the VTR's suspension by the dealer under guarantee cured clunks and bangs front and rear and the beam semi-deformed again. However not to last and un-deformed again.
However the VTRs are well thought out ergonomically compared to my wife's various Japanese cars, though their chassis are much better!. I am still hoping that there is another Citroen or Peugeot model with this engine, though I expect that the engine may be a development one, or something.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

At risk of repeating myself the VTR is NOT an engine, it is a trim level - LX, SX, VTR, Exclusive, Prestige, Desire, Furio, Loeb.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Pjbw, apologies I had missed that it was a New car, thought was a second owner type! The wifes partner (b9) came with 75/90/110 maps depending on the chosen model, the 90's were most common in the xtr trim, a few of the 110s about, ive not looked into the new model specs to see what they are putting out now, but wouldn't be surprised if its 130+,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
pjbw

Post by pjbw »

Marc,
Everybody else knows that I am referring to the car as a VTR, not the engine.
Are you English? Read the January 2014 brochure.
Might it have helped you if my topic had been titled 'Berlingo VTR with the wrong diesel engine in' ?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

pjbw wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 18:28 Marc,
Everybody else knows that I am referring to the car as a VTR, not the engine.
Are you English? Read the January 2014 brochure.
Might it have helped you if my topic had been titled 'Berlingo VTR with the wrong diesel engine in' ?

pjbw, please don't question Marc's response, he is one of the most informed people on here and puts a lot of time into helping others.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

pj, we have requested that you post one simple piece of information - the car's VIN.
As you are obviously not willing to do this, that is the end of what we are able to do to uncover the vehicle's ex-factory details. Anything else is just time-consuming guesswork.

You have now been quite unnecessarily offensive to one of our Forum's most knowledgable staff, who - along with several others - have been doing their best to assist with your inquiry, in the absence of essential information.

The solution to this is in your own hands, and if you don't take appropriate action, your membership here will be brought to an end.
Chris
pjbw

Post by pjbw »

[If there are specific reasons, by all means send me a private message or an email using the contact tab under my Avatar, so I can determine if I can help or not.]
I apologize,
I tried to contact Marc as above but did nor receive a reply or acknowledgement so now I will come out in public with my VIN problem:
The window underneath the left-hand side of the windscreen of my car has been obscured with two pieces of paper. (In the same position in my wife's Suzuki the VIN is clear).