Lights! (Interesting and Awful please)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: Lights! (Interesting and Awful please)

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 06:18

It looked almost like an emergency vehicle and could, in poor visibility such as during rain when i saw it, be easily mistaken for one...

Dangerous in my opinion...

Bloody disconcerting when one is trundling along at "motorcycle motorway speeds" at night on the M3, I can tell you. Not so much dangerous as frightening...
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

van ordinaire wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 22:16 I rather like those Mini lights (unlike the rest of the car, even worse than the original - which I didn't think possible) -

The only problem with the new MINI, is that it's called the MINI. I've driven a few, they're great little cars, especially the Cooper version. Stick to the road like s**t to a blanket, well equipped, nice ride. A really good hot-hatchback. If only BMW had thought to call it something else, and not made it such a retro thing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I recall the praises of the XM headlights back in the 90s - this blurb:
Complex surface headlamps consist of a reflector, elliptical in shape, its surface defined point by point (50,000 points) by means of a computer; so that 100% of the light is reflected within the limiting pattern laid down for dipped beams by the regulations. The shape of this complex surface gives much better performance than the conventional metal shades which, even with halogen bulbs, absorb up to 45% of the reflected light. One can therefore say that the complex surface lamp offers 45% better performance than traditional types.
Well that was a disaster, each of my 3 XMs were poor in the lighting dept., with a matchstick providing more light that the headlamps did. On each, the first thing I did was upgrade the bulbs - just to get a half decent amount of light on the road. On my early XM, and before there were many choices for upgrades over the stock bulbs, I did try a 150W bulb as they were so poor - of course on extended use that just blew. That's one thing I didn't miss was dipped beam XM headlamps.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 09:46 I recall the praises of the XM headlights back in the 90s - this blurb:

Well that was a disaster, each of my 3 XMs were poor in the lighting dept., with a matchstick providing more light that the headlamps did. On each, the first thing I did was upgrade the bulbs - just to get a half decent amount of light on the road. On my early XM, and before there were many choices for upgrades over the stock bulbs, I did try a 150W bulb as they were so poor - of course on extended use that just blew. That's one thing I didn't miss was dipped beam XM headlamps.

I had 3 XMs, an S1, and S1.5 and an S2. The S2 headlights were "acceptable", just.

I picked up the first one one December evening and had to drive it down the motorway home, and I actually pulled over at the first services as I thought the headlights were not working. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered they were..
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Dip on XM was as disppointing as you say - the more so after the marketing hype. Interestingly, main beam (presumably designed by the same process) was (is) extraordinarily good . . . and the contrast between the two is a tad stark.

Was made even worse by RHD vehicles having additional internal plastic fresnel lenses to produce the required dip-to-left beam pattern. The reflectors themselves were identical for LHD/RHD, it was just the addition of the fresnel that sculpted the RHD dip beam, with some minor action by the front glass.

The fresnel also acts as a diffuser, giving an even (but reduced brightness) spread to RHD dip, whereas the headlights without it - I found when I tried it with a brand new LHD pair - gave a bright spot of light from each headlight a short distance in front of the car, and quite poor 'apron' coverage of kerb and road-centre.

The early fresnels yellowed (pale browned, even) with age (action of UV from both sunlight and cheap bulbs) which worsened matters. With effort, they could be cleaned up, just like modern polycarbonate headlights. Later fresnels were made from a different plastic it seems, and tended not to do this. They are now unobtainable new . . . and maybe a project for some 3D printing.

Although intended just for RHD (dip-to-left) use, it was discovered that the plastic fresnels could be flipped, so to as to 'convert' a RHD headlight to LHD. (LHD = smooth side forwards, RHD = smooth side rearwards.)

The patterning on the front glass varies between LHD and RHD versions, but has very limited effect on dip beam compared to the presence (or not) of the fresnel. IIRC, RHD glasses are marked with an arrow pointing left (direction of dip), whereas LHD glasses are 'non-directional', in that the arrow has no head (it's just along dash). See EC headlight markings regs for details.

What I'm running with now (for driving on the right) is a bit of a hybrid arrangement, which I found gives an acceptably bright and certainly even coverage on dip, and avoids the 'two bright spots' mentioned earlier:
- RHD headlight glasses (lines in the glass mitigate the bright spots)
- fresnels in, cleaned, smooth side forwards, for LHD (shape beam, and make it even)
- Nightbreaker or X-treme 55W bulbs

The dipped beam shape is pretty much completely "flat top" without a pronounced kerbside kick-up, so I find it very acceptable for driving on either side of the road. (I do try to keep on one side in any given country, though.)

Not sure how Valeo/Citroen could have got XM dip so absolutely wrong. RHD performance was particularly compromised. Main is fine, as were the extraordinarily good lights on BX. Halving the vertical height didn't help, of course.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Xantia S1 cars are equally dangerous when in Dip, dreadful things even when designed for LHD/RHD.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Stickyfinger wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 11:01 Xantia S1 cars are equally dangerous when in Dip, dreadful things even when designed for LHD/RHD.

I never really noticed on my first S1 Xantia, as I was always driving on roads I knew well, and I had it from April to October, so it always went dark late!

The second one, I picked up with DickieG from Jim's and drove home at night. It was shocking! Both of us were surprised. That one got bulbs and the relay mod in double-quick time!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Put it this way, in the Activa you have to switch to 1.9D mode at night. The Dip/Main difference is the big problem, to go to zero vision past the on coming car turns every corner into guess work. I hate driving the car at night around pitch dark country roads esp with "modern headlamps" coming the other way.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Stickyfinger wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 13:56 Put it this way, in the Activa you have to switch to 1.9D mode at night.

I recall having a corner surprise me one night in my Activa, for that very reason. At the time, I was also using a Civic Type-R, with superb lights.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In my experience, XM headlights were so bad as to be dangerous and early (sinker) S1 Xantia nearly so... Later S1 Xantia headlights with the relay mod were almost OK...

All could be improved, to an extent, by fitting high-quality bulbs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 07:28 Speaking of indicators, how do some cars get away with very tiny rear indicators? So tiny they're little more than thin slits in the rear-light clusters and almost useless... I've seen cars with bigger side repeaters :twisted:

Curiously the lighting regs do not specify any (minimum) size for indicators - only brightness!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What happened to the old "must be able to put a (pre-decimal) penny on without overhanging"?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Interesting to hear that Xan I headlights suffered the same as XM on dip.
What was changed when Xan II arrived? Did things improve?

On XM (having just driven back home 20km tonight), kept being reminded that on main beam, not only do you have two very good main beams operating, but dip is on as well - i.e. 4 x 55W on main. Switch to dip, and it's 2 x 55W compromised.

On main beam, the car is night-equipped for extremely high speeds; on dip, it certainly is not.

Idly wonder what would happen if an H4 were installed in place of H1 main...? This, after all, was what BX effectively had.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not too much difference visually,
F2C8B121-8723-41DB-9AEF-E9F290A13810.jpeg
13BE352A-7E09-4BB9-B337-D48BCFA11815.jpeg
Xantia S1Xantia S2
I only ever had a Series 2 and found the lights absolutely fine.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 20:40
CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 07:28 Speaking of indicators, how do some cars get away with very tiny rear indicators? So tiny they're little more than thin slits in the rear-light clusters and almost useless... I've seen cars with bigger side repeaters :twisted:

Curiously the lighting regs do not specify any (minimum) size for indicators - only brightness!

:shock:
white exec wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 22:05 Interesting to hear that Xan I headlights suffered the same as XM on dip.
What was changed when Xan II arrived? Did things improve?
Chris, early S1 Xantia headlights employed the same basic design and construction as XM lights and thus suffered from the same issues :twisted:

Later S1 Xantia headlights were better but not brilliant... S2 Xantia headlights were a little better again but not brilliant...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...