306 DTurbo Economy & Radio wiring loom

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwailo

306 DTurbo Economy & Radio wiring loom

Post by gwailo »

I am wondering if there is something wrong with my car, most of my mile are very steady but have achieved about 36mpg on a few occasions, what could be the problem when a diesel is "drinking fuel"
Also, what colours are the wires for the stereo, for live/neutral/earth, had 2 snip off the original connector which is not compatible with my cd player's. They aren't obvious, red/brown blue etc
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You should be getting rather more than 36 with your 306 DT. Fuel consumption is best checked from brim full tank to brim full again, and dividing miles travelled by amount consumed. Also have a good look around the engine bay and see if you have any obvious fuel leaks. Check the flexible hoses from the tank to the rigid pipework. Check tyre pressures and brake drag. Make sure the air filter is clean.
gwailo

Post by gwailo »

It will manage 42 ish...but that is over a whole tank and really steady driving, not motorway..and very little in town. Most i have eva has is 567miles and that gave 45.11mpg but seems to be gettin bit poor now getting 440ish on similar money. I know there are no lambda sensors etc...could a blocked cat be the cause or the engine runs rich due to ECU problem?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I would have thought 42mpg over a tank full was about right for an XUD turbo. Diesel Car Mag test result gives it 40.9. Fuel consumption increases a bit during winter months.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

In responce to the economy, I am achieving around 47 winter and 52 mpg in summer in mine. But that is driving around 50 - 60 mph and not using the turbo - ie keeping the engine below 2600 rpm as much as possible when accelerating gently.
This can be booring when on the A and B roads around northumberland, but as the IAM and the local constabulary will point out the maximum for these roads is 60mph.
Should anyone have any further (legal) suggentions in fuel economy they will be most appricated.
Thanks
Kevin
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

My 306 DT manages 45 - 48 with combined (town and A road stuff), but on my recent 630 mile trip to Aberdeen only managed an average of 34 mpg. This was cruising at 85mph all the way though.
It has had the fuelling increased, which could account for this but I would have thought this would not have affected the cruising consumption.
I can do about 480 miles to about 48 litres, (550/48)*4.54 = 45 mpg.
Ross
yep
gwailo

Post by gwailo »

I can get in excess of 40mpg but the driving is so so steady..from full tank getting about 140 miles b4 gauge falls below 3/4....dont think it is linear...well i will empty it all then refill 2 top and recalculate. Surely Diesels shud not often get less than 40mpg. Just wondering if there any obvious things that cud effect economy, mechanical/electrical.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I have noticed on my 306 the rear brakes have a tendancy to stick after 7 - 8000 miles after being freed off and re-set. I have fitted new adjusters fitted to no avail. I am led to belive this is a commom problem. This will lead to an increase in fuel used due to the brakes sticking on.
Try to keep the engine revs down below 2600 when accelerating. The engine reached maximum boost at 3000rpm and after that you are wasting fuel. I have found that by doing this the economy does increas to around 50mpg depending on the season.
Yo do use more fuel in the winter due to the increase in electrical equipment, cold temperatures and the density of the colder air.
Any suggentions on how to improve the economy will be most appreciated!
Kevin
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

I'm getting 550 miles for every full tank of fuel I use in my xtdt. I keep meaning to working out exactly what that is in MPG.
But I just discovered that the car had two glow plugs that were knackered. A new set has now gone in - and it will be interesting to see what it manages now.
As for performance - the turbo feels to kick in around 2500 revs on mine-and ends smarlty at 3000 revs. The car does go ok-nothing electric, but I find that it hits a dead wall much pass 3000 revs. fastest way to accelerate is to move smartly up the gears as soon as you hit just a tad pass 3000 revs.
It's not formula one-but compared to a lot of traffic on the road it's not too bad.
Is this comparable to your DT's??
Blaggy
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

In the next few weeks I will be monitoring the economy of my XLdt, I am of the understanding the diesel engine should be driven in a different manner as to the petrol because the diesel produces more torque at lower rpm as compared with the petrol.
If you were to drive in the band where the greatet increase in available torque, 1700 - 2250rpm the engine is using less fuel developing the same torque as as 2250 - 2750rpm. If the engine is spinning slower, you are using less fuel. From 2250 - 2750 Torque is devreasing but power is increasing, and you burn more fuel from that point.
I could be wrong in my thinking.
Kevin
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

My Dt seems pretty good, but then I have adjusted the fuelling slightly. FYI In 3rd gear, 30 - 50 takes about 4.5 secs, 50-70 in 5th takes about 9.5 secs.
You have to drive a diesel differently to a petrol, I found this out for myself after switching to diesel. For quick acceleration changing gear at about 3500 rpm, as has already been said seems to be the best, although mine will pull like a train all the way to 4000 if needs be, but this is noisy and just wastes fuel. For normal driving, I can change up as low as 2200 rpm and you can just ride on the wave of torque.
Ross
yep
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

After just reading this I have returned (from the rather poor) Autosport International show at the NEC, travelling down in my '95 306 d turbo, which has had the full Ecosse diesel engine package conversion, I get just running around, to work and back, shopping(boring but it has to be done!)I average 490 miles on a tank, if I do any motorway work I can stretch 510-520 miles, the difference is this car is transformed by the conversion, it pulls better, floats along at over 100mph(where the legal limits allow, i think is the phrase?), and after having the work done if anything it returns almost if not better fuel economy than when it was standard.
Ive just fitted new glow plugs, this week and that has also improved things no end, and this car has only 45,000 miles on it, so shes still a baby in diesel mileage terms....
Phil
pug306d turbo
ren 21 turbo
ren 11 automatic
ren 25 txe executive