battery light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

battery light

Post by picassodad »

The lads xsara picasso 03 plate 1.8 dohc petrol did 41.7 miles per gallon real life over 300 miles on saturday with all sorts of driving.

Anyways the reason for this thread, occasional appearance of the battery light, It seem to start all ok with the engine whizzed over reasonably fast the times I have been in it.

We did a quick check for bad battery connection when we first got the car, all seeming ok.

During our run this weekend after about 50 miles or so the battery warning light just came on. We pulled in and he switched the car off. After say a minute, he started the car and all was ok.

On the way back again after about 60 miles or so, the battery light cam on briefly then went out all buy its self.

Any ideas, is this a common fault?

I am aware of the bad connection/melting connection/overheating connection problems with these cars.

All help and suggestions welcomed.

It still needs a good service in about 1k miles time, done about 2 k miles in it so far.

He has said that the car has done this, the battery light, before.

The car does seem to mist up indise a bit when warm so there may be water under the carpets, we have not checked yet. The stereo he has fitted has a voltage indicator, was 13.4 volts after the first red ligh appearance this week end and did seem a bit on the low side on the way home, in the dark, Headlight seem bright enough.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: battery light

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That usually indicates a battery charging issue - so I think you need to get your multimeter out and check the battery voltage at rest and then with the engine charging to see what it reads then. The 2 obvious suggestions are either the battery is past end of life and not holding its charge or the alternator is not outputting enough to charge it.

This is the time of year when it's colder that these issues are more prevalent when there is more demand on the battery. It may even be the accessories belt is slipping - have you taken that off recently?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I'd say the battery is near it's end. The 2003 Picasso I've currently got was doing the same thing. New battery solved it.
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

The lad uses the picasso for the commute to work but has some time off this month. When i have it again i will check over battery, earths and alternator output, as well as fuel filter and spark plugs. Will also make a cover for the drive belts, maybe the odd spash of water soaked the belt form time to time, but no squeeeeel heard.
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

I'm having exactly the same issue with my Berlingo - intermittent battery warning lights.

Everything seems to check out - 14.5v when running (with the battery light on or off) and 12.5v when off. I've swapped the alternator, and the battery is less than 2 years old.

Next steps are to check the earths, and make sure the output cable from the alternator hasn't got damaged.