High revs before EGS changes gear C4 2012

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

High revs before EGS changes gear C4 2012

Post by crapday69 »

My friend bought a 2012 C4 last month with the EGS box and 1.6 HDi engine. He and his better half love the car but the gearbox takes an age to change gear. 13mph (about 3000rev) to go Ito 2nd then over 20mph with same rev range for third and about 35mph for forth. Now my EGS on the C% changes a lot earlier than his C4. They are using the paddles to go into 2nd earlier. They took it back to the motor store they bought it from (Peter Vardy) which is not a Citroen dealer. They said this is normal and its a learning gearbox as I did tell him as well, but after 4 weeks, I would say he should notice some change.

Now I know the last owner could have had a lead foot and pushed the car every time they drove it but with only 35k miles I dont think it could be that.

Any ideas as to what to do next. The car will be going to a Citroen deal soon as the fan is on full pelt and Peter Vardy is taking it to Citroen for this to be fixed. I told them to phone the Citroen garage Vardy will be taking the car too and see if they might take it for a test drive and cement on this gearbox problem.

Gary.

PS my reputation is on the line as I have been raving about my cars both the C4 and the C5 and their EGS gearboxes.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: High revs before EGS changes gear C4 2012

Post by Michel »

crapday69 wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 20:39 ......as I have been raving about my cars both the C4 and the C5 and their EGS gearboxes.

So you're the one in millions of buyers an EGS 'box has worked for.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

It must have worked for a few more as they sold one hell of a lot of cars with these gearboxes for over 10 years. Ive had 2 and 1 with Sensodrive and been happy with them all. Not saying they are perfect but better than some full autos I have driven, plus the £30 RFL is good.

Hopefully this will not become a debate on how good/bad these gearboxes are, but give me some help on the above problem.

Gary.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What? A thread on this forum flying off at a tangent away from its original subject?

Such a thing has never been heard! [-X
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bick

Post by Bick »

crapday69 wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 22:29 It must have worked for a few more as they sold one hell of a lot of cars with these gearboxes for over 10 years. Ive had 2 and 1 with Sensodrive and been happy with them all. Not saying they are perfect but better than some full autos I have driven, plus the £30 RFL is good.

Hopefully this will not become a debate on how good/bad these gearboxes are, but give me some help on the above problem.

Gary.

I have read some bad things about the EGS but its nice to see a different opinion, sound like you have had many happy miles with yours.

Back to your problem - there are not that many people on hear with knowledge of the EGS but Lighty is your man - he will have a good idea.

I seem to remember that they can go out of tune and need the clutch resetting and also a valve can play up that does all the shifting. A proper diag would be the place to start even if you have to take it to Citroen just for the diag then elsewhere for the repairs.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

It’s still under warranty from peter vardy. I think they’re trying to fob my mate of incase the repair bill is too much.

I don’t mind the thread going south but only after I get some answers lol :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's probably because people tend to come here when they have a problem and not always to sing praises, and these EGS systems are very complicated to resolve and often result in big £s to fix - not least because the dealers won't bother to try and repair these - but will replace the whole unit. The recoding and calibration is also time consuming, so labour charges are very high as a result.

So Vardy may well want to cop out of this one.....

As for help, I can only assist if you have specific fault codes being returned.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Colleague I used to work with has a C3 with EGS problems, can't afford to fix it, dealer dismissed it and he can't sell it until the EGS is fixed.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

I do know my C4 egs did pack in but I take the blame entirely for that as when I changed the oil and filter I cracked the filter housing and oil squirted all over the electronics. As it had done over 110000 miles and I had 6 happy years with it I just scrapped it. Bought my C5 👍🏻