Fried GPU

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Fried GPU

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You too? Mine quit a few weeks ago, but fortunately it is well within warranty (so it has been sent back). My motherboard has an on-board GPU, but it is not very powerful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Fried GPU

Post by GiveMeABreak »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 18:14
MikeT wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 16:41 Perhaps Marc would be kind enough to provide VIN-specific information from Citroen; Fault code descriptions and testing procedures for instance?

Timely servicing is important due to fine tolerances of modern engines. For instance, what effect do you think a blocked air, fuel or oil filter might have on turbo boost?
Sorry - I've had PC problems (fried GPU) :roll: , so been on and off the Forum whilst I've secured another one and all the potching about - so missed this post Mike.

If the match hasn't been lit yet, I will see what I have. This being the DV6TED4 110 with DPF.
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 18:16 You too? Mine quit a few weeks ago, but fortunately it is well within warranty (so it has been sent back). My motherboard has an on-board GPU, but it is not very powerful.

Yes me too James - I've split this topic here so as not to detract from the other Turbo thread.

I had a power cut and a no boot issue ever after. Mine was a genuine AMD Radeon R9 270 series - almost brand new and never overclocked. I had to go out and get another one in a hurry as my Alienware rig has no integrated graphics - it only utilises discrete graphics.

I may get the other one looked at, but in reality once these go, all the baking and re-balling is only a temp fix and they are really not reliable after this sort of thing happens.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well a huge self-pat on the back for me today - I decided with nothing to loose that I'd put my culinary talents to extended use today and decided to bake my graphics card :-D The theory being that the solder should start to liquefy at about 190 °C and re-run within the GPU chip, re-making all the connections.

Over time the heating, cooling, heating cooling cycle can play havoc with your GPU. Now I don't use mine for excessive gaming, but on some games the card fan does start to go into overdrive, and if you are calling it a night and shut your PC off, it can create some overheating issues if not left to cool down properly before powering off. Over time this can take a toll.

So what I did:
  • Stripped the card down, took off all the cooling pipes and radiator and all the casing and plastic parts I could remove
  • Left the fan as I couldn't easily get that off, so I covered it with tin foil and wrapped it up as best I could and covered some of the capacitors too.
  • Removed the thermal paste from the GPU and cleaned that up
  • Made 4 foil balls, pre-heated the lower oven that we don't use much to 190 °C
  • Placed said card carefully on the foil balls on a baking tray, GPU uppermost and flat
  • Set timer for 10 minutes
  • Ensure plenty of ventilation and give the Oven a clean afterwards!
  • Removed after 10 minutes and left to cool for 15 mins
  • At this point I would of applied some new thermal paste, but I just wanted to see if it would work first, so just reassembled with the small bit of paste that was remaining on the cooling radiator assembly.
  • Shut down PC and discharged residual power, removed new working GPU from PC , replaced with Dunkin' Donut special GPU, hooked up and moment of truth time.
PC powered up, and whereas before it would not boot, no display, it fired up normally straight into Win 10 and bingo!

Checked the card out and the thermals - all within normal tolerances - completely amazed that it even worked. So still typing this post with the card in, so have ordered some decent thermal paste and will do a proper job of applying some nice new stuff when it arrives.

So now I haven't decided whether I want to link the 2 cards together to give me some seriously good Carlos Fandango graphics, or be conservative and keep the repaired original card in and keep the replacement one as a backup...... :-D

Well that's a £300 card saved from GPU oblivion, so even if I get another year or so out of it I'm happy.

Now to steam clean the oven :-D

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you use both and let them share the load they should run cooler - possibly?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Or do some bit-miining at make it earn it's keep
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've got the juice available and 2 more 6 pin power connectors that these use on each card. I have an 875W PSU so should be fine and internal fans all over the rig, but unless you're actually using them they'll just sit idle, so no sense really in keeping both in on a daily basis as that will just consume more juice with for no reason - so I guess I've just talked myself out of that one :rofl2:

Bit mining! Half of those get hammered and end up on the second hand market for us dudes to buy Mike! :-D

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, I think that the company that sold me my graphics card have tried to pull the wool over my eyes. It has failed, and they cannot get me an identical unit (supplier, model, spec., etc.), so they offered me a refund. However, as it is 18 months old it was not a full refund but a percentage. As the card has a three year warranty I am not prepared to accept this.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Check the small print / conditions of the warranty, whatever they offer may be at their discretion. They may offer you a similar model, but hardly surprising that they won’t have the same model now given the rate which new models are coming out. You may have to settle for a partial refund as you’ve had a few years use of it.....

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have had it for 18 months, but I paid £549.97 back in March 2017. They offered me less than half that. As I understand it, should a product fail within the warranty period (three years, in this case) it should be either replaced (with a similar spec device) or repaired at not cost to the customer.

I know that I cannot claim "Not fit for Purpose", because it certainly was suitable for the reasons I bought it. It just failed one day to work. I have just looked on Amazon, and (because of crypto currency mining) that card is now (new) over £700 to buy. I don't expect the store to buy one in at that price, but they should honour the warranty in good faith. I accept that, should the card have been over 3 years old, I would not have been covered under warranty, but trying to reduce the level of support a warranty is meant to offer is not something I consider to be acceptable.

They have suggested I look at what other graphics cards they have, but I think they may try to wriggle. They do not have any NVidia 1080 series cards (and all of the ones they do carry in the 10XX series are considerable less powerful than my card), so I looked at the next generation cards. There are ones of the same cost, but I suspect they may not let me choose one of these.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not necessarily, a warranty is unique to the seller. It is completely dependent on what the warranty states.

There is no legal comeback as Consumer Contract Regs won’t apply at this time if you bought it online and most manufacturers provide a 12 month guarantee which is usually a replacement after 30 days anyway,

So have a good read of the warranty to determine what the obligation is first. If they have started they will replace but can not obtain a replica of your model, it is usually acceptable to provide a similar card. Similar in performance to what you had. The worldwide prices of RAM are through the roof so of course that isn’t helping.

If they offer you something with the same RAM, and similar performance specs, then you really wont have a case as they are (depending on their wording in the warranty) honouring their commitment as best they can.

Our Dyson Animal blew up last year and I dug our 5 year warranty out and it had 2 months left on it. No problems, they arranged to pick the old one up and delivered a brand new one. Obviously they didn’t have the identical model in, but they provided the latest equivalent Animal that was different to our one, the ‘Dyson Animal Big Ball’ :-D Of course all our car kit accessories and attachments that we bought didn’t fit, so they provided another kit for us and an adaptor so we could use those older tools too.

Couldn’t complain about that. The point of note was that the newer Hoover was slightly less powerful than the older model, but that’s just they way they are now made to be more energy efficient, but the air power was the same. I’m more than happy I’ve got a brand new one though, but at the end of the day there wouldn’t be any point hanging out for a more powerful one as they don’t make them more powerful and they’ve honoured their guarantee to me.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The card was bought directly from an IT store (in Portsmouth), and the manufacturer has a 3 year warranty (as shown on their UK packaging);

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/ ... k_Warranty
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you considered contacting Asus directly?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have just this morning asked if they (Asus, that is) could do something (like arrange a replacement through the store in question), but, other than suggesting checks/tests, etc., they do not deal directly with end users.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 14 Nov 2018, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you bought on a credit card the card company is jointly and severally liable for the product and the warranty so maybe that could be your route to take.

When Tiny computers went broke I got a pro-rata refund for the balance of time outstanding on their warranty from Barclaycard, without asking, it just arrived in the post.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 07:34 The card was bought directly from an IT store (in Portsmouth), and the manufacturer has a 3 year warranty (as shown on their UK packaging);

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/ ... k_Warranty
As I suspected James the devil is in the detail:
During the Limited Warranty Period, Asus will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace any defective component. All spare-parts or module removed under this Limited Warranty become the property of Asus.
So they have complete discretion as to what they do under the warranty. You may push to get a replacement of equivalency, or take a proportion of the purchase price they have offered you and put it towards another one because there is no legal leg to stand on being that all statutory protections have expired and you are on their terms now.

Marc