Viewing C5 at last minute

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Viewing C5 at last minute

Post by xantiagreen »

Sold my Xantia over the weekend 😢 to Pshemsky, so I have had a gander at a replacement and I want to stick with hydraulic suspension but something a bit more modern so I have had a look at a few C5's online, particular one I am viewing tomorrow is a 54 plate registered 2005 (seller is nit sure if it has Eolys fap/dpf) he has owned it since 2007.

He is a memeber of a caravan club so i guess first thing to check is the clutch and the camber of the rear wheels, it is an exclusive with cream leather, sat nav, lane dep warning (seat vibrates) xenon cornering lights and i think jukebox, now i dont have a lexia nor used one so i cant check any hidden faults, the only things the seller has informed me of is that the rear sensors when reverse is selected has a constant beep for 5 or more secs but then as you move corrects itself and beeps accordingly.
Rear boot plastic catch releases when doors unlocked seller says he placed underlay thimble size to get it to return to right position.

Its Grenache dark red metallic, I am rummaging through posts and im panacking im going to miss something important and bag myself a lemon.

Hope you guys can help.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Viewing C5 at last minute

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If this is a diesel, then it will have a dual mass flywheel too - so you'll need to keep an eye on that and change it with the clutch (labour in redoing the job as the clutch won't outlast the DMF).

Rear sensor issue I suspect is because of some mis-wiring with the towbar electrics possibly. The navigation system will be the RT3 for that year I suspect. It has a built in phone which you#ll need an older SIM to work with - but works fine. No Bluetooth of course, no jukebox, but it does have an MP3 compatible CD Player if the later model RT3 that you can cram quite a lot of tracks on - just create an MP3 CD. It may have the CD-Changer unit fitted already (under driver seat), but this will only play standard CDs.

The Mark II is a nice update to the MK I - feels a little chunkier and the design changes make all the difference.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 22:05 If this is a diesel, then it will have a dual mass flywheel too - so you'll need to keep an eye on that and change it with the clutch (labour in redoing the job as the clutch won't outlast the DMF).

Rear sensor issue I suspect is because of some mis-wiring with the towbar electrics possibly. The navigation system will be the RT3 for that year I suspect. It has a built in phone which you#ll need an older SIM to work with - but works fine. No Bluetooth of course, no jukebox, but it does have an MP3 compatible CD Player if the later model RT3 that you can cram quite a lot of tracks on - just create an MP3 CD. It may have the CD-Changer unit fitted already (under driver seat), but this will only play standard CDs.

The Mark II is a nice update to the MK I - feels a little chunkier and the design changes make all the difference.

Thanks for the info Marc, am I right in thinking that most parts are now obsolete for the facelift C5, I know the clutch is non hydraulic setup so does that mean all parts for the clutch system are available. Also how do i check if the spheres are ok as i checked online Westroen and it advises 4 to 450 for a full set. Im used to the xantia setup so should i be comparing it tp that or am i way off.

Cheers, I'm thinking of maybe taking pictures of any areas i am unsure of to show my mechanic and post up here to get some expert advice, if the rear bushes are worn due to seller attaching caravan how do i know visually somethings wrong and will i be able to hear when test driving. 👍
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Sorry yes its a diesel 2.0hdi 136, 89k fsh, cream leathers, cambelt water pump replaced, 4 weeks ago rear and front calipers replaced new and discs pads all round interior exterior immaculate retired driver owned since 2007, few journey to spain i suppose with caravan priced at 1200, hoping to get it for 800 if i can 😂, priced too high or is it about right.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don’t forget now you’re in a different world with a C5.

It has a completely different suspension system, so don’t be worrying about the spheres at this point you can almost forget about them they’re designed to last almost a lifetime.

They cannot be recharged so don’t even think about that. The’re nothing like the old green ones and last far far longer so I wouldn’t replace them, and if at some point you do consider replacing them, I would only recommend genuine spheres. I have never yet replaced one sphere on any C5 on any of the three models to date. ever.

As for the clutch yes it is a hydraulic clutch, but does not run off the same system as the rest of the hydraulics. The LDS fluid is for the power steering and suspension circuit however these have separate pumps and separate circuits. The brakes are completely independent of the suspension system.

You’ll also have to get used to a slightly firm ride, there is less pitch and wallowing over the older systems. This has been done in favour of a more sportier, firmer ride. But it is something you will get used to.

Marc
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

At this hour all i ca n type is

🎩
😁
👕👍Great!
👖

Cheers Marc I hope this C5 is a good 'un
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

No personal experience of the C5 but steering racks seem to be a weakness - might be worth mentioning ....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Steering Rack is really only an issue on the X7. The MK I and MK II never had anything like the issues of the MK III, of which I'm on my third rack now!

Marc
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

GiveMeABreak Oops sorry for your pain

gl xantiagreen ....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If I was in the market for another C5, I would have no hesitation in buying another MK II Exclusive - my last one was a fantastic car to own and drive.

The RT3 went on the blink just before I part exchanged her, with no Sat Nav - so needed refurbishing, but would of cost £450 from the Clarion Centre in the UK, so I left it, given that I was upgrading (? :-D ) to an X7. I say upgrading, but in many respects the MK II had none of the problems that I have had with the X7. So If you get a nice one it should really serve you well.

Marc
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Will check steering side of things, any signs i need to look out for on the rt3 display, does it g altogether or fade away in certain areas
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No nothing like that. You must be very careful with the RT3 - it has a fibre optic connection to the screen from the Head Unit. You absolutely must remove the power by taking off the quadlock connector before any of the other cable connectors, otherwise connecting and disconnecting the display cable with the power supplied to the head unit can brick the screen.

The tuners inside the RT3 can sometimes need repair - and the aforementioned sat nav issue with no satellites visible problem - but if it's working, leave it and my best advice is son't upset it by taking out the Head Unit unnecessarily. :-D

The display is very robust and I've never heard of one failing - except of course through human error when connecting up as I just mentioned.

As I said, there are no issues with the steering rack on these to speak of - that little nugget seems reserved for the X7, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

Marc
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

:( Viewed the 2005 C5 yesterday got there for 11.40am, but was outbid, seller never mentioned it to me evening before that he had advertised it on Ebay, my budget was just short of £800 my bid was the highest up to £820 and I had placed an auto bid of £850 and just at the last 5 seconds a bid of £900 came through and secured the sale. :(

I think seller was in his late 70's early 80's but boy was he clued up, I took it for a test drive and wow the ride was like jumping into a conventional sprung car (you were right Marc there's a huge difference) this was my first ever drive of a C5 89,000 miles power seemed to be a bit slow to come through not like the 110 xantia which felt quicker somehow and looks huge compare to the xantia.

Cheers.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I had two C5's after a few years Xantia ownership and much preferred the Xantia , the only thing which my wife had which came close to the Xantia was a Laguna 2 Dci which she had for six years and was as comfy , this was changed for a Laguna 3 which we both highly rated.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

While Xantia was a superb cousin for and successor to XM, using much the same equipment on a more compact platform, when XM was about to be discontinued (in 2000), the question was asked 'What would replace it?'. According to dealers at the time, the answer was nothing - yet.

C5 was not meant as XM's replacement, and it cerainly wasn't. Although it was to take hpn suspension a couple of stages further – Hydractive 3 and 3+ – the ride was firmed up more, and seemingly more so with C6. I've read more than one comment about the C6 ride, where owners really do miss the soft ride (and airy spaciousness) of their previous XM. The first time I drove a C6, I thought 'why is it so cramped in there?'

The hpn system was certainly firmed up as the years went by. CX, BX, XM, Xantia, C5, C6. Hydractive solved the problem of wallowy comfort not being best suited to a spirited drive or an emergency situation, but I wonder whether Citroen, ever optimistic about sales into Germany - began to firm things up to the point that it all began to lose some of its point, and uniqueness.

That said, Xantia and XM, decently suspended, still have the ability to impress - especially drivers and passengers who don't normally travel in them. We're a lucky bunch.
Chris