Crypto Currencies

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Crypto Currencies

Post by DHallworth »

A friend of mine sent me a link today...
Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of credit cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this.

Here is my invite link: https://initiativeq.com/invite/B7yve27hQ

This link will stop working once I’m out of invites. Let me know after you registered, because I need to verify you on my end.
I've looked up the website (have signed up too) and can't see any downsides to it. It's free to register so nothing to loose through trying, if it doesn't work you've lost nothing, if it does then you've gained. If it's the next BitCoin (Highly unlikely) then it could be huge.

Anybody got any thoughts?

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Crypto Currencies

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Seems to follow this sort of model, which is never good news, No money involved it seems, but what is more valuable than money these days.......your data...the commodity which google, storecards, facebook, twitter, amazon etc etc thrive on. What have you had to give away to register? What will you have to give away to "monetise" your stock of "Q"'s at a later date to buy stuff in the real world....presumably bank account details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I hadn't realised the 'old' credit card system was broken........... :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I registered out of curiosity using an old email address that’s not used for anything else and I let safari generate a completely random password that’s not used for anything else either. Other then that, the only thing it asked for was my name.

I agree it doesn’t sound legit and a pyramid scheme was my first thought but there’s not enough details required so far for it to have any value.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It'll be interesting to see how this develops David... Keep us informed please...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm going to start a tulip exchange, I reckon there's money to be made. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Spotted this in the TESLA centric press relevant to the thread. TESLA have invested a small percentage of their cash holdings in Bitcoin. ($1.5 Billion)

I don't quite get Bitcoin, and in particular the process of Bitcoin mining (again a process I cant quite get) which apparently requires processing power consuming as much energy in a year as used by the entire country of Denmark.

I've read the Elecktrek and Clean Technica's reports with no penny-dropping understanding so I'll give this a go from the UK press...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... 6aKaB1Gx7Q

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This thread provides an nice home for this excellent sketch from Whitehouse and Enfield :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do watch out for something with names similar to "Bitcoin Revolution" (the current 'version' has the name "Brexit Evolution"). It IS a con, but they are saying major people have used and benefitted from it (including all of the Dragons, Gordon Ramsey, and Jim Davidson). The system purports to work by trading bitcoins automatically. It shows up on MSN regularly, and gets taken down just are regularly.

This is an example of the con;

https://koufmediamarket.club/13-of-gord ... 4d1f62158b
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!