Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by van ordinaire »

Who was it said "Live every day as if it was your last"? Not a bad maxim, but for many of us life (the everyday, humdrum stuff) gets in the way - so, in a way, Jim, we're all envious.

Never has the simple exhortation "Enjoy!" seemed more appropriate.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

While on the subject of well-intentioned but probably irrelevant dietary advice, are you getting plenty on Omega 3 in your diet Jim? I was not eating much fish and I think I was starting to get a deficiency which affected my concentration levels.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 19:03
CitroJim wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 18:32
Now, does a bit of pavlova have any cognitive health benefits?
Unfortunately no, pavlova is all sugar and thus does not afford any health benefits like chocolate. :twisted:

Oh :( What a crying shame :cry: It was delicious though... I'll try to have something healthier at our cafe stop this morning ;)

We're off to the Forest Centre at Marston Mortaine today - a country park of some splendour built on one on the old Marston Vale brick pits...
xantia_v6 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 21:48
While on the subject of well-intentioned but probably irrelevant dietary advice, are you getting plenty on Omega 3 in your diet Jim? I was not eating much fish and I think I was starting to get a deficiency which affected my concentration levels.
I take a supplement for that Mike and on occasion I do eat oily fish... I'm on a special diet recommended by a professional nutritionist at the behest of my GP and nutrition is a subject I take great interest given my activity level...

I eat very much an athlete's diet that includes little sugar, not a lot of carbs, lots of protein and lots of fat! It's a very delicious one :D

It was really great to see you yesterday Zel :) The Activa is looking good and thanks so much for the hand to take a load of old rubbish to the tip :D

One thing now gone is my old giant telly... It was taking up most of my workshop :evil: Shame it dies that way but nobody but nobody wanted it... Bit like a project Activa really...

I was shocked at the number of scrap flat-screen tellies dumped at the tip... Those big posh ones that now dominate people's lounges... In another life I'd have tried to get hold of some and see if I could fix them but nowadays I can't and there's no point as I never now watch any telly!

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Apparently lots of them are a simple fix - blown electrolytics to replace and away you go.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 06:53
Apparently lots of them are a simple fix - blown electrolytics to replace and away you go.

Such a waste they're not fixed then... But nowadays no doubt there's all sorts of legislation that makes it uneconomic... I believe power supply components now have to be replaced exact like for like and so on... The sheer waste just appals me :evil:

It's good to know that as the world and technology progresses some things remain the same... Electrolytics have been a source of trouble and a first 'go to' in the event of a fault since year dot... :twisted:

Gibbo2286
donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On that health food subject have you seen the BBC story about the guy taking green tea supplements that killed his liver?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 09:41
On that health food subject have you seen the BBC story about the guy taking green tea supplements that killed his liver?

Yes, I did!!! Quite shocking :shock:

I would not take such things... I do take a daily A-Z multivitamin and mineral supplement and Omega-3 oil as these ensure I get all i need - especially Vitamin D which most are deficient in... The advice that all should take a Vitamin D supplement, especially between October ans April is good and wise.. A Vitamin D deficiency can cause all sorts of issues..

Enjoyed a brilliant bike ride today and I moderated my food consumption today... Just a small scone with some cream and a little jam :)
Own Work
Own Work
The roads and the Forest Centre were utterly rammed today... Partly due to the gorgeous sunny day and half-term...

Riding through the Woburn Deer Park we were treated to a herd of deer busy thinking of what deer do at this time of year positively galloping across the fields and road just in front of us - we'd stopped to catch our breath at the top of the park and had a grandstand view :D Had we kept riding we'd have been part of them :lol:

We got the tail-end of them on camera...
BCG Member's Picture
BCG Member's Picture
BCG Member's Picture
BCG Member's Picture
They were too quick to catch properly...

Our route:
Own Work/OS Maps App
Own Work/OS Maps App

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A little video of our deer encounter yesterday in the Woburn Deer Park...

Captured by a fellow cyclist with a helmet cam...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

content not available Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:58
content not available Jim

OK, thanks Alasdair :) Not sure how to deal with that... I'll ask the original owner if she can post it on Youtube or something... Beyond my brain...

Surprised as it's in a public group...

Ahh well...

Got a little quiz for you all now... Spot the difference ;)
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work

Daughter's private plate is now on retention and therefore Pix has reverted to her original number...

The plate was a 21st birthday present so it's special to her... Pix is now all mine...

I'm pleased as I got a few funny looks driving around with that plate :lol:

Skull
donor 2020

Post by Skull »

Jim at least your Daughter got to wear her plate with pride :-D

I bought one about 6 years in advance for my Son's 21st ....he's nearly 28 now and has no interest in driving - he's probably saved himself a fortune =D>

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 17:55
I bought one about 6 years in advance for my Son's 21st ....he's nearly 28 now and has no interest in driving - he's probably saved himself a fortune =D>

Kids these days just aren't so enthusiastic... And I can confirm it's a massive money saver!!!

Sain, the owner of the plate, now lived and works in London and believes her plate will be on retention for a long time as she has no need to drive, has no intention of owning another car for a while and only occasionally drives Pix when she's home of a weekend...

It saves her a small fortune too - especially insurance...

Cost of insurance is what I think puts may youngsters off and in many cases I'm sure it puts driving totally out of reach to them...

Paul-R
donor 2020

Post by Paul-R »

Paul-R wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 11:55
CitroJim wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 05:04
https://www.cafe-ventoux.cc/
If I walk down the garden where I am in France ATM I can see the real Mont Ventoux.

Well I finally walked down the garden and I was surprised by how much the trees and bamboo had grown but there was a spot where I could just see it in the centre.
IMG_20181026_113216968a.jpg
I walked round to the front of the house and a short walk down the road gives a much better view. From here to the top in one hour by car.
IMG_20181026_113345470a.jpg

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 10:01
I walked round to the front of the house and a short walk down the road gives a much better view. From here to the top in one hour by car.

Wow! Lucky you 8-) What a great view Paul! Having the mountain so close would be an irresistible temptation to me :twisted:

Today dawned frigidly cold here today but that did not stop us taking part in the Wiggle Hawker Hurricane Cycle Sportive today :)

It was below freezing when we set out on the 75 mile 'Epic' route and what an epic ride it was :twisted: The sun shone for a bit and lifted the temperature by a little but then... It clouded over, got colder, the north wind started to blow with some keenness and it started to rain :evil:

But did it dampen our spirits? Not likely :D We had a great ride and arrived back at the start just before the rain became torrential!!!

This was I and my riding partner, Martin, at the second feed station some 50 miles in after being warmed up in the village hall and fed a hot drink! Do we look unhappy? :lol: No, not a bit of it - we knew we only had 25 more miles to go with the wind behind us... Or so we hoped :lol:
Own Work!
Own Work!
The wind was a cross-wind for a lot of those 25 miles and gusts occasionally nearly blew us across the road!

It was fun :D

And this was my haul of bling ;)
Own Work
Own Work
Martin provided the transport to Turweston Aerodrome for me today - in his 07 plate Passat estate... I must say a most impressive car... Comfy and spacious... It swallowed both our bikes whole with a lot of room to spare...

And Martin is very much an atypical VW driver - he drives with skill and consideration for other road users :lol:

Michel

Post by Michel »

Looks like a fun day!

Passat Estates are great. My neighbour has an 07 plate one. I’ve done a few jobs on it for her and they’ve all been simple - replacing wiper linkage for one!

I’m very impressed with my 57 plate Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi too! Comfy, quick enough and loads of space!