Halfords 'Free' MOT test

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Halfords 'Free' MOT test

Post by EDC5 »

Whilst I was browsing their online store I noticed Halfords seem to be giving out a free MOT with any purchase. (https://www.halfords.com/advice/motorin ... t-halfords)

Qualifying criteria seem to be that you make a purchase and that you book it in to their service centre before the end of October next year.

Since my MOT is due on the 21st of December I'm pretty tempted to take it a month early and see what they say.

Obviously, part of me is thinking that anywhere offering a 'free' MOT will be extra harsh on anything; as they'll be out of pocket to the tune of an hour of mechanics time if they can’t find any issues.

Has anyone here taken up their generous offer, or a similar one elsewhere? Did you find them extra picky?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Halfords 'Free' MOT test

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole Elis. Customer reviews say it all, currently 1.4 out of 5. Plenty of cases of being overcharged for work and ripped off. Check it out:

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-revie ... utocentres

And one concerning the free MOT:

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-revie ... es/4738457
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

......no such thing as a free lunch. 8-[
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Just had a look at those reviews... :o

I don't think a bargepole would come close to describing the distance I'd like to maintain from that place!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It reminds of the scamming autocentres in America that were investigated and fined - they were getting customers in under the pretence of a free oil and fluid check - and were basically charging customers for oil and transmission / brake fluid that they did not need after getting an independent engineer to check the vehicles before and after the visit.

They had some of the staff (now ex-staff) actually confess to being 'told' they had to bull crap the client and upsell services that they didn't need to increase sales - or risk losing their jobs if they didn't hit targets!

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

There doesn't seem much point going to Halfrauds any more as they only seem to do batterys, bulbs, wipers & filters in the way of parts now.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 18:24 It reminds of the scamming autocentres in America that were investigated and fined - they were getting customers in under the pretence of a free oil and fluid check - and were basically charging customers for oil and transmission / brake fluid that they did not need after getting an independent engineer to check the vehicles before and after the visit.

They had some of the staff (now ex-staff) actually confess to being 'told' they had to bull crap the client and upsell services that they didn't need to increase sales - or risk losing their jobs if they didn't hit targets!

hmm, that’s pretty bad! Definitely giving it a miss.

I might still get my MOT a month early to benefit from the 13 month MOT :)
van ordinaire wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 21:20 There doesn't seem much point going to Halfrauds any more as they only seem to do batterys, bulbs, wipers & filters in the way of parts now.
I bought their 200 piece tool set recently as I got an irresistible offer in an email, they seem pretty good quality.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Halfords Pro tool range is brilliant. I believe they are made by Britool for Halfords. Very very good quality.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Isn't there some new rule about not being allowed to drive your car away if it fails its MOT? Maybe that's why Halfords have started doing this - even if you have the car tested one month in advance you are still "captive" and have to get them to do whatever work they say you need. Same applies to all garages of course, the scope for profit-boosting malfeasance is immense.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Richard_C wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 08:50 Isn't there some new rule about not being allowed to drive your car away if it fails its MOT?
Surely not, for all levels of failure?
Was/is it the case for a vehicle discovered as dangerous?
Chris
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Yes, its only the 'dangerous' category that prevents drive away. Dangerous, Major, Minor, Advisory.

But in almost every category testers judgement applies, example: Brake pipe ferrule corroded: Major. Brake pipe ferrule corroded and likely to fail: Dangerous.

I'm sure most testers are thoroughly professional, ethical and well trained, but its not hard to see how someone working in a pressured environment with targets to meet might be tempted to err on the side of make-work - and very few customers will know the rules. "This is a major fault, you really shouldn't drive it away ...." will convince most people. On the other side of the coin, garages which sell second hand cars, especially older ones, might encourage their testers to err on the generous side. Maybe I'm too cynical.

In some countries, the MOT equivalent is carried out by wholly independent government run centres - that strikes me as a good idea but maybe wouldn't work in thinly populated rural areas where you might have to drive miles to get to one.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There were and maybe still are, some government MOT testing stations, we had one in Gloucester and another I used in Hereford for the over 3.5 tonne vehicles, they did cars too for the locals but were too far from me for that.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

those Halfrauds Reviews should be under the 'Joke of the Day' thread.
....not funny though if you're the one with the blown engine or a £500 bill you've paid for no reason.

Have seen the Youtube video (or one similar) with regard to the American Autocentre scam Marc. Would like to say its 'Shocking', but sadly not.

I'm a Cheapskate, by necessity, but I never take up a 'Cheap / Free MOT Deal'.
Puxa
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, as Robin said - no such thing as a free lunch and I'm far too cynical now to trust anything like this sort of thing.

The days of free giveaways and finding a Cartier watch in the Kellogs Cornflakes are well and truly over!

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's nothing to stop you driving away a car that has a current MOT, even if it's been retested and failed with a Dangerous marker. Should you be stopped, or have an accident, however, you could be charged with driving an un-roadworthy vehicle (chances are you were before the test anyway, you just hadn't been told). Police ANPR only knows if <1 year since last MOT - there is no info on new test, so it will pass the ANPR quick check and not get flagged up. That's not to say of course that the garage won't put pressure on you not to drive it away!
Richard W