Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The FT link doesn't work for me.

Looks like there is a bit of a political wrestle going on, with no agreed policy as yet. Gibbo's comment truer than ever, and Chris Grayling just happens to have Toyota in his constituency pulling his strings.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -from-2040

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:06 The FT link doesn't work for me.

Sorry, FT does this annoying thing where they let you view an article if it is the result of a google search but not if you go directly to the same URL. (It must check the referrer)

Search for "2040 car ban uk" in google, then click on the (third for me) link "UK to ban most hybrid cars, including Prius, from 2040 | Financial Times". That should work.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Dump your SKYACTIV-X too?
SKYACTIV-X-The Revolutionary Combustion Engine

At Mazda, we believe that there is still ample room for further evolution of the internal combustion engine and that this technology has the potential to contribute in a major way to conservation of our global environment. Based on [bs]Mazda’s corporate vision of protecting our beautiful planet while enriching people’s lives through the “joy of driving,” [/bs] we plan to continue on our ceaseless quest to develop the ideal combustion engine.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Absolutely entranced by the idea of those with no mains electricty having to run a diesel generator all night to charge their electric vehicle.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

van ordinaire wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 22:41 Absolutely entranced by the idea of those with no mains electricty having to run a diesel generator all night to charge their electric vehicle.

If you live at a house with no electricity you've got bigger problems than how to charge your car... :lol:

You have heard of solar panels I assume ? Even on a UK roof a decent size array of panels that costs significantly less than having mains supply extended to a country property that may not already have it is more than capable of generating enough to charge a car to drive reasonably long distances per day.

Have a look at Fully Charged for Robert Llewellyn's own solar panel system, he's talked about it in quite a few episodes - he lives in the country and although he does have mains supply as well he frequently manages to charge his car entirely from solar to travel the long distances he needs in the country.

To be honest citing people without mains electricity supplies as a reason not to use EV's is kind of silly - how many people in the UK actually have no mains supply at their residence ? Do they live by candle light ? If so and it's too expensive to get mains supply installed why have they not already installed a solar+battery system ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mandrake wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 07:30
van ordinaire wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 22:41 Absolutely entranced by the idea of those with no mains electricty having to run a diesel generator all night to charge their electric vehicle.

If you live at a house with no electricity you've got bigger problems than how to charge your car... :lol:

You have heard of solar panels I assume ? Even on a UK roof a decent size array of panels that costs significantly less than having mains supply extended to a country property that may not already have it is more than capable of generating enough to charge a car to drive reasonably long distances per day.

Have a look at Fully Charged for Robert Llewellyn's own solar panel system, he's talked about it in quite a few episodes - he lives in the country and although he does have mains supply as well he frequently manages to charge his car entirely from solar to travel the long distances he needs in the country.

To be honest citing people without mains electricity supplies as a reason not to use EV's is kind of silly - how many people in the UK actually have no mains supply at their residence ? Do they live by candle light ? If so and it's too expensive to get mains supply installed why have they not already installed a solar+battery system ?

There are some who simply don't want mains electricity and a lot who couldn't possibly afford the layout of several thousands of pounds to install solar panels and a battery.

I bought solar panels earlier this year, all that would fit sensibly on my roof, cost £4,600, a battery added would add another four grand to the cost.

The cost of solar is falling but I don't know how much further it can go, the first quote I had five years ago was twelve grand for the same set up.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Those who don't want to live with mains electricity (surely a very tiny minority) are hardly the target audience for driving an EV at the moment, as charging at home is one of the major advantages of an EV. (No trips to the petrol station, leaving the house each morning with full charge/range, cheap charging rates vs more expensive public charging) It's also somewhat necessary for today's short range EV's where you do really want that full range available at the start of each day.

If the day eventually arrives where an EV is all that you can buy (which is going to be decades away) then by that time they should have large enough batteries that charge quick enough that you could go to a public charger once a week for say 30 minutes to "fill up" much as you do now with a petrol car. No big deal. Those that can charge at home will still continue to reap the benefit of cheaper charging and not having to stop somewhere to charge.

For the time being those living without mains electricity will be better served by a traditional ICE. ;)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Simon is right. It's not what a small minority do that impacts city and national environment significantly, but what the majority of the population do for their transport that matters so much. Off-grid folk - and classic car owners - are not the problem for cities, it's just everyone else that is!
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder how we survived. :-D Look at the 'fog' posts towards the end.

http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/in ... st-620455
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Used to work with gramophones.

Peter
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Question that's just popped into my head regarding the whole diesel emissions panic and such.

Having just run the numbers from a little jaunt at the weekend, covering roughly 450 miles, our van managed to return an average of 26.7mpg. I reckon that's pretty decent for a more or less fully laden old van, especially given there were some pretty mean hills on the outbound trip towards the end.

The thing I've noticed about this engine though (aside from the surprisingly delicate way it sips diesel it seems), it's that she doesn't smoke. Even on startup there's no brief fog (granted, I know it's been warm lately), nor any vapour trail left under full load.

Now this is an old school normally aspirated indirect injection diesel engine, 2.3 litres and delivering 78bhp by the book. Mercedes OM.6O1 if you want to look it up.

The fact that this seems to be able to run so cleanly (I know there are probably a lot of invisible particulates there anyway) does make me wonder though...how much of the diesel clag issues we see these days is a symptom of the fact that people and manufacturers have got greedy versus the engines being inherently "dirty?"

Is it practical to simply design an engine to be clean from the outset? I get the distinct vibe that low component stress and efficiency were high on the priority list when this power unit was penned. Outright output, final price and weight being far lower down the list.

Has the need to extract far more power from engines, hence bolting on a turbo (or turbos), playing around with direct injection etc become part of the problem?

Is it possible that - assuming diesel doesn't go the way of 4-star in five year's time - that we might see a change back to lazy long-stroke diesel engines that can do their job bearly above idle coupled with modern hybrid drive systems? Bringing hybrid systems into the equation could counteract the performance cut to a large extent... electrical assistance when you're walking around town or go for an overtake, but just a well tuned, well designed engine thrumming away while you're sitting at a steady speed on the open road.

Not sure what I'm really getting at here other than that spending time with this power unit has really showed me that all diesel engines are not created equal.

Really wish I had the emissions test result sheet from the last MOT, would be really curious to see what smoke level it blew then.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Interesting, Zel. Have sometimes wondered just how polluting our old XUD9 (1905cc NA) was in our BX, which regularly returned 42-44mpg. Ok, limited bhp (71), but good torque, and the ability to cruise at 80mph+ all day. Towed an 800kg caravan without smoke. Much missed, for its sheer simplicity and airy, effortness drive. XM (IDI again, but 130bhp++, 37-43mpg) superior in every way, and certainly responsible for keeping the grey-matter exercised!
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think that the pollution generated by an early diesel is different than that produced by a later (HDi style) diesel. This is because the earlier engine cannot 'mist' the diesel as efficiently as the later engine. Because of this the diesel burns differently between the engines. The early engine produces larger particles that (usually) are more visible, while the later engine (because the diesel is far finer when burned) burns the fuel more efficiently, hotter, with finer particles of pollution.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

The switch to direct injection did change the game. Engines became harsher (and in some cases noisier), and more prone to vibration (hence the DMF fiasco) as they were made lighter. Mitsubishi ventured into gasoline direct injection (their GDI), and had to withdraw it because of concerns over problem emissions.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Diesel in the North, Electric in the South

Our local "Inside out" has just been on featuring the "Railways in The North"

The new Azuma Train, being manufactured in County Durham is a hybrid it can run on electicity or diesel power.

Fair enough, you may expect that some far flung areas of the network may not be completely electrified.

But apparently the East Cost Main Line is one of those far flung areas. Just as dual Carriageway/Motorway peters out in Northumberland, so apparently does the east coast mainline as far as the new trains are concerned. So they will be operating on diesel power only (in the *north).

Obviously 10 years is far too ambitious a time to get the East Coast Mainline upgraded so the new trains can go all the way from Kings Cross to Scotland without resorting to Diesel.

Its all here

East Coast Azuma trains thwarted by northern track

regards Neil

*north in this context is North of York
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey