RT3 RD4 SatNav replacement...

This is the RT3 unit and was made by Magneti Marelli
The RT3 was available in a few different hardware versions, the later ones supporting MP3 playback. These units had an optical connection to the Display Screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

RT3 RD4 SatNav replacement...

Post by nonnus »

hello...

I have a doubt about the RT3 DR4 head units.
I have a Citroen C5 Mk2 (2004) with RT3 RD4 SatNav head unit... and I realise that there is a Head Unit that it is very much the same but it has Mp3 decoder it also rt3 rd4... mine rt3 rd4 does not... insted the symbol in the bottom left corner is "compact Disc" not Mp3.

The doubt is if I can change the head unit with MP3 and have not problems with source configurations like satnav, climatization etc??!
Did anyone tryed this and it works??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RT3 RD4 SatNav replacement...

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I know this is a bit old, but to answer the question for completeness, yes, you can change the Head Unit for the MP3 version, but it will only play MP3 files from an MP3 CD. You will also need to VIN code the replacement unit, and ensure that all the options on your car are correctly configured in the head unit of the RT3 ECU.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Hi... thanks for the answer, the part of using a cd\mp3 I did realised, the doubt was replacing the head unit.

By the way, another issue that I'm having with my sound system if you can help with... It is about some static noises that I listen in speakers and twitter. When I'm riding the car and listening the radio or cd player, the left speaker in the back and the left twitter in riding position makes a static noise, very accentuated in the back speaker. When I am stopped the noise is almost imperceptible but it's there. I unmount the speakers and they seam fine, no signs of torn membranes or cosmetic wear they are in very good shape in sigh.
My question is what is it causing that? Cable problems, amplifier or the head unit?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One word of caution if you are thinking of changing the head unit - you MUST disconnect the Quad Lock connector first from the back of the RT3 BEFORE disconnecting the fibre optic cable to the Colour Screen. If you don't, you can brick the unit. Also, always allow time for the RT3 to go to sleep after powering off before disconnecting the connector.

As for the speakers - check the wiring connectors are good, but also I would check the wiring where it goes through the door harness tubes from the front through to the back. The wires can get worn from opening and closing the doors and either break or lose their insulation. The rubber tubes are easy enough to remove if careful - but at least that's another possibility you can check.

Marc
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Actually I am not thinking of changing the head unit... it's just curiosity... but maybe a possibility in the future... will see.
Yes, I might check the wiring first, to see if that's the problem. Thanks ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, the important thing is knowing in advance about the possible issues, so forewarned is forearmed :-D

Marc
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 22:14 I know this is a bit old, but to answer the question for completeness, yes, you can change the Head Unit for the MP3 version, but it will only play MP3 files from an MP3 CD. You will also need to VIN code the replacement unit, and ensure that all the options on your car are correctly configured in the head unit of the RT3 ECU.

Hello again...GiveMeABreak, about the codification of a possible replacement to a RT3 with MP3!
You mean "VIN Code replacent" by Lexia Diagnostic tool??! Or you need to go to a citroen dealer to decode the radio to my car??

best regards
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I mean 2 things:

A) The replacement RT3 may likely have the VIN code or (or the last 8 digits) of the previous vehicle stored internally. So you will need to use Lexia to change these to match your vehicle or it will keep beeping and not function properly when connected.

B) The RT3 Head Units have internal ECUs. The vehicle options must match those of your own vehicle. Therefore before you change your old unit, make sure you use Lexia to write down all the options from the old RT3 ECU, so you can make sure they match the ones on the replacement RT3.

Actually there is a third point. There were 4 versions of RT3, CAN and VAN and colour or Mono versions of each, depending on vehicle. You must make sure you use the right unit for your car’s electronic architecture.

Units with Firmware versions beginning ‘5’ are VAN systems. Units beginning with ’6’ are CAN systems.

Very important that you understand you cannot mix these up and they must be the right units for your vehicle. Also, you cannot cross upgrade firmware! So you must never apply a CAN firmware version ‘6**’ to a VAN firmware version ‘5**’ system or the other way round or you will brick the unit.

I hope that clarifies.

Marc