Choosing coil spring / strut brand

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Choosing coil spring / strut brand

Post by RustyUK »

Hi guys, been a while! Most of my motoring DIY life I had hydraulic Cits, so I've never had to deal with a bread-and-butter job like changing a coil spring.

Until a front one snapped on my C5 X7 yesterday. Bah.

Looks like a straightforward job (excellent video changing one on the Peugeot 407 on youtube) although compressing it terrifies me.

My dumb question is, what brands should I choose, and does it even matter? Several names available, most commonly Sachs, KYB and Monroe. Do we know who the OEM manufacturer is?

I imagine the spring probably performs much the same whatever the brand, but are there differences in the build / performance of the struts? I sort of feel like I should change it while I'm at it.

I've always rather liked the X7's handling and ride comfort, not quite hydraulic level comfort but closer than other 'normal' cars. I don't want to put something shoddy in there and compromise it :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Choosing coil spring / strut brand

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you want part numbers, we’ll need a VIN as most of here with X7s have hydraulic versions.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RustyUK
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)

Post by RustyUK »

Thanks, I have a copy of docbackup so have the part numbers, I really wondering if there's any go-to aftermarket brands or any that should be avoided - working on the assumption that the price of the PSA springs / shocks won't even be worth my time asking about!

Confusion more-so with the shocks, it's difficult to tell if there's differences in the way compatible units are constructed. eg varying combinations of "twin tube", "spring bearing damper", "damper with rebound spring" - maybe this is all the same thing - and then Monroe to name one brand seem to do "Original", "Reflex" and "OESpectrum" designs - all these physically compatible, but I have no way of knowing if these differences really matter, or how they compare to stock in terms of performance and longevity. Whatever brand/design stock is. Or whether one brand is reputationally (is that a word?) better lasting then any other (including with springs, there's some cheapies I might not expect to last well - but I don't know).

I do still miss my old MK1 C5. Might get a tourer with hydraulic suspension some day, particularly now we have a dog, but that's a whole other train for thought for another time!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well they all seem to be different types of spring for sure (colour marked and based on engine and options), so must be different tensions or something. OEM springs are about £80 depending on options and struts from about £97 again variable on model.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

When I replaced a broken one on mine a couple of years ago I fitted a Sachs spring. I can't say they are the best or the worst of the bunch, but it's still working and I haven't noticed any difference at all in handling.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I've replaced all the springs in my ex's C2 and both front dampers in the last six months. I spent a long time researching what was available.
After spending a lot of time on the modding scene (jap cars) I have a good understanding for what are decent brands and which aren't.
If you can get KYB springs for the c5, go with them - they're quality (that's what I have put on the c2).
For shocks there are a bewildering range of brands out there these days, most of which are actually generic Chinese crap and best avoided.
If you post up any springs/shocks you see that take your interest, I'll be happy to give my opinion and whether that's based on my previous knowledge / research, or 'gut feel'
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
RustyUK
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)

Post by RustyUK »

It was a KYB or Sachs spring I was considering, although Kilen seems to crop up a lot. For the shocks, there's plenty here I'm wondering about!

https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalo ... B100%5D=VA

Likely the KYB or Sachs again, but the Monroe ones pique my curiosity. The three variants are Original (claim to match OE spec), then Reflex then OESpectrum in ascending order of performance. TRW are a name I trust for brake parts but they do two models. Most others I've not even heard of.

To be fair I probably don't strictly need to replace the shocks, time permitting I hope to get the old spring off this weekend then assess whether it's worth replacing more than just the spring. But if there's other shock/springs that can give me a smoother ride over stock parts, I'm not against swapping both sides now!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

From memory, you need to detach the drop link to do a spring / shocker and in my experience, if you disturb a well used drop link it'll soon start rattling once you put it all back and have done a hundred miles or so. My recommendation would be to keep en eye out for a cheap genuine Citroen drop link - don't go for a 'no name' brand or one of Eurocarparts finest :wink:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
RustyUK
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)

Post by RustyUK »

Yes quite true, to be honest I'd be surprised if I get the drop link off without obvious damage anyway. I've had mostly good results from Febi and Lemforder links and joints on other cars. Only issues have been on a particular 307 that mysteriously eats ball joints and drop links. And that damn car's still in the family.